Hi all
Trying to figure out what pickups to get for my explorer build.
I've always played on Gibson pickups, being 57 classics and 490t/498r. I really don't know what other brands are in that tonal style, and are open to other brands. I just love the gibson tone.
Ive been hearing that Dragonfire's humbuckers ($25 for 2!) match if not beat the 490t/498r's. Any experience with these, anyone? Also the GFS Fat Paf Overwound are bringing up great reviews.
Thanks for your input everyone.

GC
dimarzio super distortion are pretty sweet
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
You'll love Super Distorts. Lovely warmth with a bit of bite.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I've never liked Gibson's pickups, actually. If you're looking for a bit of bite, the Super Distortions are amazing pickups. If you want a more "vintage-y" sound with bite, Duncan JB's are great. For a good Vintage sound, a set of duncans of your choice is a good start.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
well I've been a bit of a Gibson fanboy for too long.... up until recently. You just pay for the name - forget it.
BUT i still love the sound of their pickups.
Super distorts it is! HOWEVER, anyone here wit dragonfire pickup experience? From what ive heard on a couple other boards they cant tell the difference between 490/498 and dragonfire humbuckers... they are just so cheap!
Dude, if you like the gibson sound, give some Duncans or Dimarzio PAF style pickups a try. If you use an antiquity, you will never go back to gibson.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
I love the '57 classics, what is a comparable pickup in sound to them?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Gibson, duncan, and DiMarzio all make good PAF's. None of the are great but they are better than you would get from companies like GFS. I think that Duncan's seth lover and 59 are better PAF's than anything gibson makes and duncan charges a lot less. If you want the overwound PAF tone then you are better of with Dimarzio.
Not taking any online orders.