agh! I've known the stairway solo for over a year and I still can't get that one lick after the repeating bending lick.

Left hand is okay, but my right hand cannot do it properly, and just in general suck....

I don't anchor one bit, I use my wrist, I practice it slow from time to time yet I see no improvement... Any help?
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
Yes it will improve. I rest my hand(palm) on the bridge sometimes, try it and see happens.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
General answer, but it proved it works in everything humans do;

Practice more/harder.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by AlucardZero

I practice it slow from time to time yet I see no improvement... Any help?

The simple practicing calculus is: always do the right thing, then do enough of it.

The purpose of playing slow is to let your fingers do the right thing as much as possible. Assuming you actually DO the right thing when you're playing slowly, since you're only doing it from "time to time", you're likely doing the wrong thing a lot. IOW, you are practicing your mistakes. That will take you longer to get it right. The quickest way is always doing the right thing. That is entirely in your control. The only other thing you'll need is patience. Some things take longer than others.
Quote by edg
The simple practicing calculus is: always do the right thing, then do enough of it.

The purpose of playing slow is to let your fingers do the right thing as much as possible. Assuming you actually DO the right thing when you're playing slowly, since you're only doing it from "time to time", you're likely doing the wrong thing a lot. IOW, you are practicing your mistakes. That will take you longer to get it right. The quickest way is always doing the right thing. That is entirely in your control. The only other thing you'll need is patience. Some things take longer than others.

Aye

TS completely listen to this;

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Alright thanks. My biggest problem is that when I play that lick fast, I think my hand tenses up a bit and I hit the wrong string and can't skip the strings quite as fast... it's a back and forth between the high e and b strings and I can't really explain, but maybe time will tell.
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
to get your picking speed up, do different patterns while you watch tv. Dont pay attention to the picking and itll come naturally. I did this every night for a year and I vastly improved in my picking technique

First just do like (all on the low E. or any string for that matter)
E|-0000000000000000000000000000000 (as fast as possible, but work up speed)
then
E|-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00 (same as before, but do noticeable "doubles")
then
E|-000-000-000-000-000-000-000-000-000 (Standard galloping triplets)

then make weird patterns like for example, My Land by Sonata Arctica
E|-0000-0000-0000-0000-00-00

And dont forget to always go up down up down.

Please use tags for tabs....
Last edited by Camdon at Feb 8, 2009,
Quote by Camdon
(Standard galloping triplets)

You can't gallop a triplet...look at my sig.

Quote by Camdon
And dont forget to always go up down up down.
It's down up down up for a 16th-note pattern at high speed.
Quote by Camdon
Dont pay attention to the picking and itll come naturally.

Wow, no. Horrible advice. If you just zone out and play, you'll get better, but only through sheer repetition. If you want to fix a flaw in your playing, you have to slow right down and focus intently on fixing that flaw. Your playing will improve at a tremendously faster pace than if you "just play", and it will be much less frustrating in the long run (that is, if you're not too A.D.D. that you can't sit down and practice a lick at 40bpm WHOLE NOTES. )
Quote by edg

+1

and if you feel tension in your picking hand while playing, that means you have to SLOW DOWN, believe me.

always practice at a speed where you dont feel any tension at all.
Alternate. Although economy comes naturally during some parts of songs.