Hey All,
I've read the sticky and now wanted to get your personal opinions after a bit of research.
I'm looking at purchasing a small practice bass amp and have narrowed it down to 2 amps, the Ampeg BA112 or the Roland Bass Cube 30.

This would be my first bass amp ever! (I play guitar and picked up a bass for home studio use). I have an Ibanez SRX3EX with active pickups.

Would like to get some opinions as to which amp you all prefer, or any other suggestions.

Thanks!
Neithier an ashdown Eb or mag, would be excellent though.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
For less money than the Ampeg you could get an Ashdown EB180 (their about £200), which is roughly 90-100ish watts, as opposed to the Ampeg's 50, so would be more useful in the long run, as you could practice with a drummer with it, also if you wanted more volume you can add a cab and get 180 watts.

Actually £240 is a hell of a lot of money to pay for a 50 watt amp, fair enough it's an Ampeg, but my first ever amp was a 40 watt Hohner and only cost me £50 so I'm guessing atleast £100 of that price is being payed for the Ampeg badge
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Last edited by faultyy at Feb 6, 2009,
Sweet! thanks I'll check out the Ashdown.
I mostly play rock/metal style and since it wil only be used at home and I'll try not piss off my neighbors, 50watts will be my max output....and I'm sure I'll never go above 3 or 4....

thanks for the input!

EDIT: Checked Harmony Central reviews on the Ashdown. Lot's of issues with distortion at high volumes...

The Ampeg BA112 + BA115 on the other hand have stellar reviews....
Last edited by LTD-live at Feb 6, 2009,
hmmm. Acoustic AB50 if you're in the land of America.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by LTD-live
Sweet! thanks I'll check out the Ashdown.
I mostly play rock/metal style and since it wil only be used at home and I'll try not piss off my nieghbors, 50watts will be my max output....and I'm sure I'll never go above 3 or 4....

thanks for the input!

Keep in mind, 50 watts on a bass isn't nearly as loud as a guitar.
And I reccomend an Ashdown as well.
Quote by CurbstompBass
Keep in mind, 50 watts on a bass isn't nearly as loud as a guitar.
And I reccomend an Ashdown as well.

You own an AMPEG BA115 and still recommend that ASHDOWN! Interesting!
The reviews on Harmony Central for the Ashdown combos aren't that great.

Could you explain why you prefer the Ashdown over the Ampeg?

thanks!
Quote by LTD-live

thanks!

There is distortion if you crank the input volume, however before it distorts you will get way more volume than you would with the Ampeg running at full. Also if you crank the input volume on any amp the pre amp will distort, which won't sound very nice, it's all about balance.

Personally I don't take user reviews that seriously, most people are suffering from new gear tinted lenses when they write them. I'm not saying the EB180 is the perfect amp, but considering the price gap and difference in wattage the Ashdown doesn't really hold water, unless your hell bent on the name.
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Quote by faultyy
I'm not saying the EB180 is the perfect amp, but considering the price gap and difference in wattage the Ashdown doesn't really hold water, unless your hell bent on the name.

The Ashdown or the Ampeg doesnt hold water?
Quote by LTD-live
The Ashdown or the Ampeg doesnt hold water?

I would assume he meant Ampeg.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by LTD-live

thanks!

The cheaper Ampegs (like the BA series) are not particularly good or bad amps. They run you more than its worth, though.

The Ashdown is a bit more versatile. It has more bands of EQ and other controls.

The Ampeg, on the other hand, has a very basic control panel. Three-band EQ, a 'style' setting (which is pretty useless, really), and gain/volume.

Not to mention, it far outstrips the power of the Ampeg at a marginally higher price.

Honestly, though, I'd spend another 100USD and get the Ashdown MAG115 over the Electric Blue.
Quote by the humanity
I would assume he meant Ampeg.

Yep, just to clarify (incase I need to) the Ampeg

Quote by CurbstompBass
Honestly, though, I'd spend another 100USD and get the Ashdown MAG115 over the Electric Blue.

Definate +1 wish I'd done this

Quote by CurbstompBass
The cheaper Ampegs (like the BA series) are not particularly good or bad amps. They run you more than its worth, though.

The Ashdown is a bit more versatile. It has more bands of EQ and other controls.

The Ampeg, on the other hand, has a very basic control panel. Three-band EQ, a 'style' setting (which is pretty useless, really), and gain/volume.

Not to mention, it far outstrips the power of the Ampeg at a marginally higher price.

Thanks for the breakdown!
Definitely going to check out the Ashdowns!
Why has no one recommended one of the newer Hartkes?

I'd recommend this: http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_A70%201x12%20Bass%20Combo%20Amplifier_-1_10052_10002_-49956910_cmCategorySA182896

Its a 70 watt amp pushing a 12 inch aluminum driver, for $349 new, which is right around the £240 that some one through out earlier. Combine with that the 7 band EQ, bass and treble knobs, along with a limiter, and you've got a fairly powerful little combo amp. I'd look at that if I were you.

Edit: There's also this: http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Kickback%2012%201x12%20Bass%20Combo%20Amplifier_-1_10052_10002_-49981422_cmCategorySA182896 120 watts, but no EQ, and a few less features, very solid buy though.
Last edited by sloasdaylight at Feb 7, 2009,
Along with Ashdown and Hartke, check out Orange amps. Their practice amps are really wonderful and loud. I still want to own an Orange crush some day.

Even the Ampeg fan girl of the forum wouldn't recommend the BA112--Ampeg lost its sense and soul in those entry level amps. They're underpowered and only have ghost of the classic ampeg tone.

I tried the Roland Cube as well. Its meh and didn't produce a decent tone when playing a 5 string through it.
Quote by anarkee
Along with Ashdown and Hartke, check out Orange amps. Their practice amps are really wonderful and loud. I still want to own an Orange crush some day.

Even the Ampeg fan girl of the forum wouldn't recommend the BA112--Ampeg lost its sense and soul in those entry level amps. They're underpowered and only have ghost of the classic ampeg tone.

I tried the Roland Cube as well. Its meh and didn't produce a decent tone when playing a 5 string through it.

yeah, Im curious about the orange Crush but having played the guitar amp version, I'm not really all that impressed with the crush line. I have heard great things about it though.
After a while of pondering I decided to go with the AMPEG BA-115 despite all the advice to go with Ashdown....
I only had it for a day, but I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with it!

I think it's a pretty versatile amp and is ample for what I need.
Not to mention it was the cheapest option! I bought it REFURBISHED from Musicians Friend. For less than $300 bucks, I think it's a pretty good deal.

Thanks fro all your advice and suggestions!
•1976 Gibson Les Paul Custom, PRS Mark Holcomb Ltd Run, 2004 Les Paul Classic, Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Stndrd

•Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
•PRS Archon
•Kemper Amp Profiler
its too late^ and hoep you enjoy your choice. i got a roland cube 100
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing