If i raise the 3rd of the E Phrygian mode, starting at the twelfth fret, doing a three octave run, what scale/mode is it.

The formula, i believe, if the phrygian formula i know is right, (1-b2-b3-4-5-b6-b7)

should be 1-b2-3-4-5-b6-b7, correct?

what scale is this, just a modified Phrygian or what?

or could is possibly be related to the harmonic minor, i would think not really, i think it has 2 or 3 scale degrees, where the phrygian differs by just 1 (the b3 --> 3).

e|--------------------------------------------12-13-15-|
B|-----------------------------------12-13-15----------|
G|-----------------------------13-14-------------------|
D|--------------------12-14-15-------------------------|
A|----------12-14-15-----------------------------------|
E|-12-13-15--------------------------------------------|

My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Last edited by Colton165 at Feb 6, 2009,
bump?
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Quote by one vision
It's Phrygian Dominant.

Phrygian mode with a major 4th.

EDIT: I think your tab is wrong.

If you make it a major 4th, it should be a G# instead of a G.

i raised the third.

b3 ---> 3
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
I didn't quite get what the rest of One Vision was saying but yeah Phrygian Dominant looks right to me.

Phrygian = 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Raising the third makes it Phrygian Dominant (Dominant being a term to describe a chord or scale that spells a dominant7 chord off the root 1 3 5 b7).

Phrygian Dominant = 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7
If we look at the step pattern we get... H W+H H W H W W.

The Harmonic Minor is W H W W H W+H H.

You can see by comparing the step pattern that the Phrygian Dominant is the 5th mode of the Harmonic Minor scale.

EDIT: So it is relative to the Harmonic Minor but is also an altered Phrygian just like the Harmonic Minor is an altered Aeolian or natural minor.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Feb 6, 2009,
Quote by 20Tigers
I didn't quite get what the rest of One Vision was saying but yeah Phrygian Dominant looks right to me.

Phrygian = 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Raising the third makes it Phrygian Dominant (Dominant being a term to describe a chord or scale that spells a dominant7 chord off the root 1 3 5 b7).

Phrygian Dominant = 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7
If we look at the step pattern we get... H W+H H W H W W.

The Harmonic Minor is W H W W H W+H H.

You can see by comparing the step pattern that the Phrygian Dominant is the 5th mode of the Harmonic Minor scale.

EDIT: So it is relative to the Harmonic Minor but is also an altered Phrygian just like the Harmonic Minor is an altered Aeolian or natural minor.

thanks a ton
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad