1st on down picking, in attempting to build up speed, How long should I stay at a certain speed before moving up? example; If i can maintain speed at 150 BPM for 1:00 straight, should I go for 2:00 and continue like that, or bump up another 20 BPM and get that up to 1:00? and then increasing the BPM as I go on like that?

2nd on Palm-muting, any tips on not breaking stride when lifting the palm? When I lift my palm my picking angle changes somewhat and I lose stride. also, if Im playing a song, in your opinion, would it be easier to practice it without palm-muting then adding it once once you have it down, or practicing it all at the same time?
There's really no need to downpick for 2 minutes at 200 bpm. Practice your alt and eco picking. As for palm muting, practice the song as-is. Often times, there's a certain pattern with the palm-muted and unmuted notes that you just won't hear if it's no palm muted. Also, if you don't palm-mute a Slayer song, for example, it's going to sound like complete and utter crap.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
1) Dpn't practice ONLY downstrokes. Practice up-and-down picking (alternate picking) that will allow you to go much faster and it makes you a more flexible player. Make sure you feel comfortable with all forms of picking.

2) As for palm muting just keep practicing it. Try playing without palm muting, and then slowly move your palm into position whilst playing. Rythmically make sure the transition is good and then auditorily make sure you get that good muted sound. Keep it up and good luck.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by Froboarder
There's really no need to downpick for 2 minutes at 200 bpm. Practice your alt and eco picking. As for palm muting, practice the song as-is. Often times, there's a certain pattern with the palm-muted and unmuted notes that you just won't hear if it's no palm muted. Also, if you don't palm-mute a Slayer song, for example, it's going to sound like complete and utter crap.

There are a plethora of songs that are mainly downpicked

Try Master of Puppets, good heavy song that will really work your picking hand
Quote by BedTime
There are a plethora of songs that are mainly downpicked

Try Master of Puppets, good heavy song that will really work your picking hand

I never said there weren't songs that are mainly downpicked.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by Yeti60
1) Dpn't practice ONLY downstrokes. Practice up-and-down picking (alternate picking) that will allow you to go much faster and it makes you a more flexible player. Make sure you feel comfortable with all forms of picking.

2) As for palm muting just keep practicing it. Try playing without palm muting, and then slowly move your palm into position whilst playing. Rythmically make sure the transition is good and then auditorily make sure you get that good muted sound. Keep it up and good luck.

Im also working on alternate picking, I play mostly Rhythms at this point so Im more focused on my downpicking, but I work on alternate and economy picking when running scales and such.