I've got a Fostex 12 track Digital recorder that can record 4 tracks at once.....

I'd like to be able to record at least 5 tracks simultaniously,
be able to hook up to my PC via USB (as my pc doesn't have a firewire port),
And use the industry standard Pro Tools (preferibly a piece of equipment that comes with pro tools)
And I need Phantom Power for my vocal mic.

Please help me find a decent model that will work.

thanks
Made in Detroit
Guitars, Guns, Cars, Beer, and Women... This is what makes real men happy.
Last edited by speedinc at Feb 6, 2009,
Pro tools only works with Digidesign proprietry hardware,
ProToolsLE runs of of the MBox and 003 units
ProToolsHD runs off of expensive DSP cards and Interface units.
ProToolsMPowered runs on most M-Audio interfaces. you'll need an I-Lok too
What is an I-lok?

and Do you have any model numbers of the actual hardware?
Made in Detroit
If you're looking to record 5 tracks simultaneously then the 003 Rack from Digidesign is probably the way to go. 8 inputs with 4 mic preamps. Pretty expensive though. Can't remember if M-Audio has any interfaces with similar specs.
Quote by speedinc
What is an I-lok?

and Do you have any model numbers of the actual hardware?

He gave you some. Digidesign 003 and MBox. The thing is, with the amount of inputs you want, you'll need the 003, which is expensive. In addition, it is firewire, as USB can't really export more than 2 tracks at a time with it's limited bandwidth compared to Firewire. I believe there are a couple of USB 8 track interfaces on the market, but I'm not convinced it could have 8 tracks going into the computer via USB and give them each their own track without latency etc.

Why does it have to be Pro Tools ?
There is poetry in despair.
Since you don't have firewire or (im guessing) several grand to drop here is what your going to have to do assuming you must have protools:

- Buy a Mbox interface
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Digidesign-Mbox-2-Mini-?sku=700498
^This one is usb.

- Buy a 5 or more channel mixer
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-PV14-Mixer?sku=631369
^ I just kinda picked one at random more or less. You should def. look into this as I am not sure of your price range or specific needs

This will get you what you need for the most part, but you should know its going to mix it down to two tracks. No, its not ideal, but its the best your gonna get with out dropping several thousands of dollars.

If you need more help just ask.
-Ryan

Why does it have to be Pro Tools ?[/QUOT

I've been told by several people in the recording industy that it was the best for digital recording....... I've never used it, and judging on the amount of people here that are asking the same question, I guess I'd be open to another program if it works well.

any other ideas?
Made in Detroit
Wow dude.

Cubase for one.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by 1337void
pro tools is ****e man, get Cubase, THAT is the standard

Standard of what? Ever set foot in a professional recording studio? I've yet to see Cubase in any studio I've been in, it's all ProTool or Logic.
Quote by ebon00
Standard of what? Ever set foot in a professional recording studio? I've yet to see Cubase in any studio I've been in, it's all ProTool or Logic.

Indeed,
very occasionally you'll see Sonar, but not a lot.
Quote by speedinc
Would this work with Pro tools? And can you buy a fire wire port for the extra slots in a 4 year old Compaq lap top? It looks like it might work.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-ProFire-2626?sku=241817

OK, this makes me question a few things about you buying this. It says clear as day on the page you linked to that it's compatible with ProTools M-Powered. I assume you have done enough research into this to know what the M-Powered line of ProTools is about.

As for the Compaq question I think you'd be better of going for a new computer that's dedicated to music, especially if you're looking to record 5 simultaneous tracks. The laptop you have now is most probably loaded down with a lot of crap that you really don't need and that takes up valuable hard drive space and processing power. Make sure you have the specs needed and remember that more RAM is always better.
Quote by ebon00
OK, this makes me question a few things about you buying this. It says clear as day on the page you linked to that it's compatible with ProTools M-Powered. I assume you have done enough research into this to know what the M-Powered line of ProTools is about.

As for the Compaq question I think you'd be better of going for a new computer that's dedicated to music, especially if you're looking to record 5 simultaneous tracks. The laptop you have now is most probably loaded down with a lot of crap that you really don't need and that takes up valuable hard drive space and processing power. Make sure you have the specs needed and remember that more RAM is always better.

The computer will be devoted to just the studio. Its my old laptop that I don't use anymore. I have a new laptop for playing in the interweb and that sort of stuff, The computer I'll be using for music will be completely clean of pretty much everything except music software.
Made in Detroit
Nuendo i would say is the only other industry standard somewhat comparable to pro tools as far as "industry standard" is concerned (nuendo is a cubase product... ok THE cubase product)
i see some sonar in smaller studios but its not something i would try to work in, especally when trying to move files around to different studios. Nuendo is nasty and works with a ton of interfaces, but i think its costing like 2k new--- yikes!!!
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Nuendo is mostly the same as Cubase in many aspects, except it has video support. You probably don't have any need for it. Cubase itself is a very powerful piece of software.

At the end of the day, all the good sequencing programs work similar to each other, so you're best off IMO picking one that suits your budget. For example, to record 5 tracks simultaneously using Pro Tools, you're going to be looking at parting with some very serious wedge. On the other hand, if you were to go with the Presonus interface, you would be able to use Cubase LE, which is a very competent version of Cubase. It comes free with the interface.

Alternatively, if you would only settle for the top software, you can upgrade to Cubase 4 from LE for a cut price.
There is poetry in despair.