Two shows that I have wanted to go to recently have both sold out in under 5 minutes. First, AC/DC, whos tickets were going to be $99, sold out in 4 mins. Now today, tickets for the Flight of the Conchords which were supposed to be $45.50, sold out in 2. Now you can find tickets for well over $100! I found a pair for $400! Fuck scaplers, fuck Ticketmaster.

The one good thing that comes out of this is angry rants, like this one:

Quote by Angry guy on Craigslist
Looking for Scalper Scum Selling Flight of the Conchords Vancouver Tix - $100

I want to buy a pair of Flight of the Conchords tickets in orchestra. It must be a pair, and it must be in orchestra... I'm willing to pay 100 times the original price with additional blowjobs because I love scalpers. LOVE THEM. 100 times the price, that's like... $6500! You could buy like three tickets to Japan for you and your dumb friends! Or... like... A used car! Maybe even a Honda!

We have to do the exchange in person. So I can drug you and take you to a secret location... When you wake up, you'll be in my basement (the secret location), tied up. I'd electrocute your testicles until you rat out your accomplices. We can post their MySpace links on a Craigslist ad. Maybe I'll slap you across the face with a giant black dildo.... Lubed up so you have see the shiny track across your face, like a slug making its way home across the sidewalk on a Sunday morning. I haven't decided what I would do afterwards. Maybe more blowjobs if you're a hot scalper. You would have to look like either Bret or Jemaine. Oh, you don't know who Bret or Jemaine is? Of course you don't. You don't even like the Flight of the Conchords.

Or we could watch an episode of Battlestar Galactica if you're ugly.... Which you probably are.... Since you probably camp out at your ****ing computer to steal tickets from real fans and need to capitalize on them since you're a fat nerd who lives with their mom and doesn't have a real job.

Maybe to celebrate getting a pair of tickets to see one of my favourite bands of all time, I'll get a tattoo of the "Ticketmaster" logo across the small of my back because if there is anything I love more than scalpers... I LOVE TICKETMASTER! WOW, IT IS THE BEST COMPANY IN THE WORLD. I mean, Ticketmaster is like Jesus to me. Ticketmaster would die for all my sins. And if I get a "Ticketmaster" logo across my back, I would get so much ass.

FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS TICKETS FOR VANCOUVER. CENTER ORCHESTRA PAIR, ONLY. HARD COPY ONLY, THANKS! Also attach a photo of your face. And maybe also give me your home address.

Please share your experiences with scalpers/Ticketmaster
e|----------5-------7-5h7p5---5--
B|-------5----8p5-------------8---8p5--
G|-5h6-----------------------------------7b9r--p5---5b--
D|-----------------------------------------------------7-----7-7~~~
I always wondered what that damn processing fee was. $10 to process a small piece of paper?
The worst part is that ticketmaster is partnered with a company that purposely buys up all the tickets and then charges a huge amount on top. It's ridiculous, but I find scalpers to be useful if you just want to catch a show last minute and didn't get a ticket.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
If only Hitler had encountered these people before becoming chancellor of Germany.........
I got the **** kicked out of my by 4 scalpers before an REM gig lol, may have been my fault to be fair, as I was quite drunk so don't remember how it started, got my own back though as I saw them selling tshirts after the gig so decided it would be funny to get my friends to stand infront of me while I pissed in the box they were keeping their money in
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by AC/DC10
Two shows that I have wanted to go to recently have both sold out in under 5 minutes. First, AC/DC, whos tickets were going to be $99, sold out in 4 mins. Now today, tickets for the Flight of the Conchords which were supposed to be $45.50, sold out in 2.

Quote by PluckU
OH **** YOU says the computer, YOU MAY ONLY HAVE 1, READ IT, ONE AUDIO TRACK >:O I then i got pissed off and through my tuner against a wall
Ive done it a few times to earn cash. I got 1 grand from 8 metallica tickets. Suck it up.
Quote by DegaMeth
Ive done it a few times to earn cash. I got 1 grand from 8 metallica tickets. Suck it up.

smooth.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Funny enough, I had the same problem with the Vancouver show for Flight Of The Conchords as well. I thought it was way faster than that though. (seriously under thirty seconds!)

But I feel that they may book another night in Vancouver, think about it, a number of cities on the tour have multiple nights and there are a good four days before they need to be at their next gig.

I was quite pissed too, but it makes sense: the venue does only hold around 1800 people... and according to ticketmaster, they can process 300 orders per second. And it's only one of two cities in Canada they're hitting.

It's a real big piss-off, but that kind of stuff happens, and at least they'll probably be back in the future... hopefully playing at Queen Elizabeth Theatre next time.
Quote by Jesse Mrau
Funny enough, I had the same problem with the Vancouver show for Flight Of The Conchords as well. I thought it was way faster than that though. (seriously under thirty seconds!)

But I feel that they may book another night in Vancouver, think about it, a number of cities on the tour have multiple nights and there are a good four days before they need to be at their next gig.

I was quite pissed too, but it makes sense: the venue does only hold around 1800 people... and according to ticketmaster, they can process 300 orders per second. And it's only one of two cities in Canada they're hitting.

It's a real big piss-off, but that kind of stuff happens, and at least they'll probably be back in the future... hopefully playing at Queen Elizabeth Theatre next time.

Yeah, hopefully. I've definitely got some "Hurt Feelings" now hahaha
Quote by boreamor
Scaplers?

THIS
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Quote by Thrasher51
THIS

Aren't you funny.
God damn! The cheapest tickets on eBay are now $179.99, that's a mark up of only 363.61%!!! And that's only for the balcony... Was contemplating earlier when they were only $109.99 for upper balcony.

Also, I don't think buying the scalped tickets are wise, especially the orchestra pit:
"All tickets sold for rows A-P (orchestra) must be picked up at the Box Office on night of show, beginning at 6:30pm.
Credit card holder must claim tickets and will require confirmation number, photo ID and credit card.
All members of your party must be present to claim tickets and gain entry to The Centre in Vancouver for Performing Arts.
Once you have entered the venue, you will be directed to your seats immediately and re-entry will not be permitted"
~from ticketmaster's Flight Of The Conchords listing.
Quote by Jesse Mrau
God damn! The cheapest tickets on eBay are now $179.99, that's a mark up of only 363.61%!!! And that's only for the balcony... Was contemplating earlier when they were only $109.99 for upper balcony.

Also, I don't think buying the scalped tickets are wise, especially the orchestra pit:
"All tickets sold for rows A-P (orchestra) must be picked up at the Box Office on night of show, beginning at 6:30pm.
Credit card holder must claim tickets and will require confirmation number, photo ID and credit card.
All members of your party must be present to claim tickets and gain entry to The Centre in Vancouver for Performing Arts.
Once you have entered the venue, you will be directed to your seats immediately and re-entry will not be permitted"
~from ticketmaster's Flight Of The Conchords listing.

why would you pay money to listen to that ****e? You should get free tickets.
Quote by Mike!
If only Hitler had encountered these people before becoming chancellor of Germany.........

*invents time travel*

How about the guys who invented telemarketing, too?
This **** should seriously be illegal.

The purchasing from the artists website and reselling of tickets should be made illegal. Supposedly, people aren't allowed to sell tickets at the door, but for some reason these companies can buy up all the tickets and charge whatever the hell they want for them?!

I hate this **** with all of my soul. I wanted to take my fiancee to go see Regina Spektor at the House of Blues. They were selling tickets from her website for $32.50.

Now sites like tickethub are charging over $100 and her website is sold out!!! How is that legal? They might as well pistol whip me and kick me in the nuts while they are at it.

Who do I contact about making this **** illegal?
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Quote by Seryaph
This **** should seriously be illegal.

The purchasing from the artists website and reselling of tickets should be made illegal. Supposedly, people aren't allowed to sell tickets at the door, but for some reason these companies can buy up all the tickets and charge whatever the hell they want for them?!

I hate this **** with all of my soul. I wanted to take my fiancee to go see Regina Spektor at the House of Blues. They were selling tickets from her website for $32.50.

Now sites like tickethub are charging over $100 and her website is sold out!!! How is that legal? They might as well pistol whip me and kick me in the nuts while they are at it.

And you didn't buy them there website before they sold out because...?
Quote by Seryaph

you do realise that's how basically all commerce works right?

buy the in bulk at low prices and then resell them at a profit.

what do you do for a living?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by JDawg
And you didn't buy them there website before they sold out because...?

Because I won't have enough for two tickets untill Monday.

Quote by Lemoninfluence
you do realise that's how basically all commerce works right?

buy the in bulk at low prices and then resell them at a profit.

what do you do for a living?

But that is a completely different process. You are talking about the relationship between a manufacturer, the wholesaler, and the retailer.

This is a service.

Not only that, but most of the times, the product will get a mark up of 50% to 70% from manufacturer to retailer.

How do you justify a mark up of 300% or more? Not only that, but these tickets go to sale for the general public, not a specific secondary market, unlike a manufactured product that is normally only sold to specific customers.

This price-gouging at its most disgusting in an oligarcichal market place that should be a free market place to the general public.

I think it is a terrible mistake to allow this to happen and I think it will have a serious impact on live music. How much of that markup goes to the artist?

Quote by thedefrockednun
Here in Hungary, each person can buy max 3 or 4 tickets

And this!!!!

Many websites only, including the artist's website most times, only allow an individual to buy up to 4 tickets.

Why are these secondary ticket sellers allowed to purchase them in bulk?
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Call me Charlie.
Quote by boreamor
Scaplers?

They're like Staplers, except instead of papers to more papers, the attach exorbitant fees to tickets.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Seryaph
But that is a completely different process. You are talking about the relationship between a manufacturer, the wholesaler, and the retailer.

This is a service.

Not only that, but most of the times, the product will get a mark up of 50% to 70% from manufacturer to retailer.

How do you justify a mark up of 300% or more? Not only that, but these tickets go to sale for the general public, not a specific secondary market, unlike a manufactured product that is normally only sold to specific customers.

This price-gouging at its most disgusting in an oligarcichal market place that should be a free market place to the general public.

I think it is a terrible mistake to allow this to happen and I think it will have a serious impact on live music. How much of that markup goes to the artist?

how much of the markup goes to any manufacturer?

that's the whole point of a mark up.

also, supply and demand.

if there wasn't the market for the tickets the tickets wouldn't get the markup they do. And normally, retailers aren't bound by anyone to sell products at a certain price. Ticket sellers are.

the price they're forced to sell at is lower than people are willing to pay.

as evidenced by the fact that scalpers exist.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Twist of fate
They prefer to be called "Native Americans"

I scalped some metallica tickets but it was actually because i couldnt go so sold them for a tidy sum on ebay.
Thank god I'll never have to worry about seeing AC/DC live.
Check out my band Disturbed
wth is a ticket scapler?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by Lemoninfluence
how much of the markup goes to any manufacturer?

that's the whole point of a mark up.

also, supply and demand.

if there wasn't the market for the tickets the tickets wouldn't get the markup they do. And normally, retailers aren't bound by anyone to sell products at a certain price. Ticket sellers are.

the price they're forced to sell at is lower than people are willing to pay.

as evidenced by the fact that scalpers exist.

None of the markup goes to the manufacturer, but both the wholesaler and the retailer take on additional costs, i.e. transportation, selling and administrative costs, etc., that the manufacturer does not have to deal with. THAT is the whole point of a markup. Retailers don't just charge more because they feel like it, they do it because they have to. Competition forces them to keep their prices down.

There is no reason for a 300% markup, in ANY market. What sort of costs can the price of a ticket incur from the moment they are purchased from the artist/agency to the moment they are sold back to the market that could ever explain a 300% price hike?

And the concept of supply and demand does not work in the secondary ticket market because, as I said earlier, it is an oligopoly. I wouldn't be surprised if the big secondary ticket companies have formed some sort of collusion or cartel between themselves, effectively eliminating competition. I understand that the market is there for higher ticket prices, but that should be taken advantage of by the artists, who are not selling their tickets at such high prices for a reason. Not these secondary, theiving bastards.

Also, explain the fact that the general public cannot, normally, purchase more than 4 tickets per individual? Why are these companies allowed to purchase tickets in bulk?

Quote by ScottB.
wth is a ticket scapler?

People who purchase tickets with the intent of selling them for an outrageous profit.

Call me Charlie.
Last edited by Seryaph at Jun 26, 2009,
Quote by Seryaph

There is no reason for a 300% markup, in ANY market. What sort of costs can the price of a ticket incur from the moment they are purchased from the artist/agency to the moment they are sold back to the market that could ever explain a 300% price hike?

Ever heard of the Superbowl? Face price of tickets are what $400-500? They end up selling on eBay for nearly 10x that price because of the outrageous demand and limited supply.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Quote by Seryaph

People who purchase tickets with the intent of selling them for an outrageous profit.

Thanks
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by sk8boardbob2
Ever heard of the Superbowl? Face price of tickets are what $400-500? They end up selling on eBay for nearly 10x that price because of the outrageous demand and limited supply.

Exactly.

Private individuals place bids on some of the 30,000 to 40,000 tickets that are sold for this once a year huge event.

There is a difference between allowing a ticket to achieve a certain price on the open market, where anyone can bid on it, and a private corporation buying all of the Superbowl tickets and then selling them for $4000 to $5000 straight up without the ability to bid or otherwise have any say on the price.

Call me Charlie.
^ But aren't you complaining about people on eBay and craiglist selling them for high prices? That would make it seem like individuals and not corporations which you are talking about.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Bruce Springsteen is pissed off too, guys.

Also, go to smaller shows at smaller venues for less than $20 like I do.

EDIT: and **** Ticketmaster
Last edited by thelurker at Jun 26, 2009,
Quote by sk8boardbob2
^ But aren't you complaining about people on eBay and craiglist selling them for high prices? That would make it seem like individuals and not corporations which you are talking about.

While I don't necesarily agree with what those people are doing, I don't strictly oppose it.

I have found myself in need of selling a ticket for one reason or another, although I have never done it for a profit.

My main beef is with the corporations who go directly to the artist/agency and purchase their tickets in bulk within seconds of the tickets going for sale, and then turning the tickets around and selling them for a 300% mark up.

That pisses me off and I think that it is bordering on the criminal.

Quote by thelurker
Bruce Springsteen is pissed off too, guys.

Also, go to smaller shows at smaller venues for less than $20 like I do.

EDIT: and **** Ticketmaster

I used to do that back in the day. Some of the best shows I've ever been to have been at those tiny venues.

Unfortunately, most of the acts I really really want to go see don't play at those small venues.

Call me Charlie.