So I have my Epi Les Paul with EMG-HZs equipped with Beefy Slinkys(11-54) tuned to D standard and when I pick the g string alone with distortion it sounds like total sh*t.

All the other strings ring with a good "even grain" sound, idk how to explain it. But the g makes a nasty fluctuating not so nice sound. I want to say "muddy" but I'm not real good on all these sound terms and what they mean yet.

Can anyone give an explanation or the science behind why it sounds like this? It's bugging the crap out of me.
I'm Tyler
awljkrghsdfjbv;lsdkbvjlosdj!

**** yes.

Damn near every guitar I've ever touched has an "off" sound on the G string and everyone says I'm crazy.

IM NOT CRAZY!!!
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You know what? We ARE convincing him to buy an MG Stack. I mean, who wouldn't want the CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, BRUTAL DISTORTION, BRUTALLY CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, and CRUSHINGLY BRUTAL DISTORTION, with built in digital effects!?
I'm at work, so I can't link to anything, but I was looking into this a bit lately... Apparently, the solution is to get a wound G-string. I'm placing an order for new strings online tonight, and I'll be trying it out.
I'll let someone else ellaborate, but look into it.
Quote by RozzLe
whens the last time you have changed these strings?

Ah I dont remember, maybe 2-4 months ago. But it's been there the whole time.

EDIT:
Quote by JustinHorne
I'm at work, so I can't link to anything, but I was looking into this a bit lately... Apparently, the solution is to get a wound G-string. I'm placing an order for new strings online tonight, and I'll be trying it out.
I'll let someone else ellaborate, but look into it.

I think you're right man. Or at least on to something...
I'm Tyler
Last edited by Octtwe88 at Feb 6, 2009,
Quote by RozzLe
whens the last time you have changed these strings?

Don't know about these guys, but I've had this problem on new strings, old strings, thick strings, and thin strings, and any combination of the above.

Also with many different tremolos.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You know what? We ARE convincing him to buy an MG Stack. I mean, who wouldn't want the CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, BRUTAL DISTORTION, BRUTALLY CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, and CRUSHINGLY BRUTAL DISTORTION, with built in digital effects!?
Quote by Octtwe88
Ah I dont remember, maybe 2-4 months ago. But it's been there the whole time.

EDIT:

I think you're right man. Or at least on to something...

ohh ok. first of all, apparantly unrelated but important: change your strings. second, the frets may be too close or you may have a problem with your bridge
men arent supposed to wear g strings to begin with, maybe that's your problem.....think about it
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by this&that
men arent supposed to wear g strings to begin with, maybe that's your problem.....think about it

HAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
HAHAHAHAH
aaHAHAHAHAHAHAH

It's funny because you're the first person to ever think of it.

Why can't we make this a bannable offense?

On topic: Apparently it has to do with weird intonation issues and overtones inherant in the nonwound gstrings. Apparently the wound ones help reduce this.
Last edited by JustinHorne at Feb 6, 2009,
Quote by JustinHorne
HAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
HAHAHAHAH
aaHAHAHAHAHAHAH

It's funny because you're the first person to ever think of it.

Why can't we make this a bannable offense?

On topic: Apparently it has to do with weird intonation issues and overtones inherant in the nonwound gstrings. Apparently the wound ones help reduce this.

you sound like a newb at internets, cause no one can ban you for that idiot. Maybe if i posted the pear along with that you'd get your set play, but please '08er i know my rules and ways on UG here.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by this&that
you sound like a newb at internets, cause no one can ban you for that idiot. Maybe if i posted the pear along with that you'd get your set play, but please '08er i know my rules and ways on UG here.

I didn't say you could get banned for it, I'm saying it SHOULD be bannable. That's why I like forums like SomethingAwful: People get banned and suspended for posting random drivel that we've ALL heard before. Serisouly, it's not that funny.

EVEN if you had contributed to the actual thread, and thrown something else in, that would have been better. But no, just had to make that G-string joke, just in case we forgot about it.
Quote by JustinHorne
I didn't say you could get banned for it, I'm saying it SHOULD be bannable. That's why I like forums like SomethingAwful: People get banned and suspended for posting random drivel that we've ALL heard before. Serisouly, it's not that funny.

EVEN if you had contributed to the actual thread, and thrown something else in, that would have been better. But no, just had to make that G-string joke, just in case we forgot about it.

its good i brought it up incase anyone is suffering from old age or alzheimer's disease, you know, i'm always looking out for everyone making sure they never forget anything.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Wound G-string? What are those, and can they be used with locking tremolos?
Quote by DEADwin
Wound G-string? What are those, and can they be used with locking tremolos?

It's basically a G-string that's found like the E,A, and D. Also, like how it's wound on some acoustics. Do a search for "wound 3rd" on musiciansfriend or whatever, you'll see it.
Yeah wound g's are supposed to sound better but just be awkward for bending
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
my A string sounds weird when i do open string,the sound is buzz. can someone plz reply and tell me what is the problem??
Could be the tuners, strings, the saddles being too low or the truss rod needing an adjustment. Learn all about it in Dan Erlewine's "How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great" Book, only $13 on Amazon and much cheaper than having someone set up your guitar!

Seriously though, That is what you should do, After you buy the book. I'm not paid to advertise it, Promise.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Jun 18, 2009,