The local Guitar Center is selling a vintage 1967 silverface Bassman head that's recently been re-capped and re-tubed. They want $599 for it.

I have a 10% off coupon I can use, so the damage would be about $540 + tax.

That's more than most vintage Bassman heads from the 60's are going for on eBay, but a re-cap job with new tubes runs anywhere from $100 to $150 so I need to factor that in.

I'm heading in tomorrow along with my own guitar and my own 1x12 cab so I can try this thing out. If I like it, should I pull the trigger? It's not a killer deal, but then those days are probably over at GC.
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Last edited by Armchair Bronco at Feb 6, 2009,
I'd say it's a good deal considering the work that's been done.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
If you love it, then any price is worth it (unless you can find it for cheaper!). By the way, I believe that most GC coupons do not apply to used gear, but don't quote me on that.
That is a great deal, '67s have a blackface circuit, and putting a Blackface panel on it would make it almost impossible to tell. By all means yes.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by lespaul#1
That is a great deal, '67s have a blackface circuit, and putting a Blackface panel on it would make it almost impossible to tell. By all means yes.

Well, it *could* be a 1968 model. To be honest, I can't remember right now. It's one or the other. And even if it is a '68 and does not have the blackface circuit, that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. (In terms of eye candy, I prefer the look of the silverface anyway, and this particular specimen is in pretty good shape.) I just want a vintage tube amp that excels at clean tones to pair up with my Tiny Terror.

Man I guess I'll have to read the fine print on the 10% off coupon carefully. If they don't honor it, I may bring it in anyway, and then look all disappointed when they tell me I can't use it. Maybe I'll be able to get them to knock off a little from their listed price...who knows?
Last edited by Armchair Bronco at Feb 6, 2009,
Well, I was half expecting to get a ton folks telling me: "Be patient, man! That's a rip off!"

Now if I walk out with one, I'll just tell my wife: "Hey, all the guys on Ultimate Guitar told me it was a good deal. I just couldn't pass it up. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity."
I believe '68s also have Blackface circuits.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
So, they're telling me over at Shortscale.org that this is "way too much" to pay.

But then at ShortScale.org, they love to say "up" when I say "down", "left" when I say "right". It never fails. Someone over there even told me one to change my Avatar and my signature! Are you kidding me? If they think I'm getting a bad deal, then it's probably a good deal, after all.
That's a decent price, there's one on Ebay for $524.
Quote by chip46
OK. It's beginning to look like I'll be doing my part to stimulate the economy tomorrow morning.

But can I really stimulate the economy by buying a piece of vintage gear? It'll keep some dude in GC employed for a week, but the guy who built this 40-year old amp has long-since retired.
Quote by Armchair Bronco
OK. It's beginning to look like I'll be doing my part to stimulate the economy tomorrow morning.

But can I really stimulate the economy by buying a piece of vintage gear? It'll keep some dude in GC employed for a week, but the guy who built this 40-year old amp has long-since retired.

Who cares? You'll have a great amp
Buy it now.

Bassmans are some the best sounding American amps ever made.
Dude, if you don't buy it I will hunt you down, steal your Jag and beat the crap out of you.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Dude, if you don't buy it I will hunt you down, steal your Jag and beat the crap out of you.

Thanks, man! Now I can tell my wife: "Honey, I *HAD* to buy it! This guy threatened to beat the crap out of me if I didn't buy the Bassman. I had *NO* choice!"

Since I've already run out of room in my practice corner at home, I'll have to unload a couple of practice amps to make some space. I bought a used Ampeg BA-112 bass amp about 6 months ago to use as a clean practice amp, but I guess I won't need it if I get the Bassman. And I'll probably part with my Roland Cube 30, too.

I also play short-scale bass, and I like the idea that I'll be able to one one head for both bass and guitar.
That's not baaaad, but you could get one cheaper.

if it's a late 60's, it has the BF circuit (IIRC, up to 1969) so it'll be a good amp.

I'm not to keen on BF bassman amps myself. I prefer 6G6's and 6G6-A bassmen for realz
Well, I just got back from the Seattle Guitar Center and I've still got $599 in my pocket. I tried the amp out through my own 1x12 cab and guitar for more than 30 minutes, but I uncovered a problem with the head that turned out to be a deal-breaker for me.

Whenever I lightly touched the strings, the amp made a loud popping/crackling sound. It happened *every* time I touched the strings and on both channels. I tried out various speaker cables and guitar cables but it didn't help. The sales reps helping me opened up a new Mogami guitar cable, and while it was much quieter than my Monster cable, the popping noise was identical.

We also tried out different guitars and even hooked the head up to a 4x12 cab -- same story. One of the sales guys said that he thought it was because of static electricity in the old building. I said "No way, it's the amp, man. That's not how static electricity works!"

Anyway, there's clearly some kind of problem with this amp -- maybe a grounding problem or a bad solder joint. Probably not major, but who knows... It sounds great otherwise, but unless GC fixes the pop or lowers their price, my quest for a vintage clean amp head will continue.
Quote by Armchair Bronco
Well, I just got back from the Seattle Guitar Center and I've still got $599 in my pocket. I tried the amp out through my own 1x12 cab and guitar for more than 30 minutes, but I uncovered a problem with the head that turned out to be a deal-breaker for me.

Whenever I lightly touched the strings, the amp made a loud popping/crackling sound. It happened *every* time I touched the strings and on both channels. I tried out various speaker cables and guitar cables but it didn't help. The sales reps helping me opened up a new Mogami guitar cable, and while it was much quieter than my Monster cable, the popping noise was identical.

We also tried out different guitars and even hooked the head up to a 4x12 cab -- same story. One of the sales guys said that he thought it was because of static electricity in the old building. I said "No way, it's the amp, man. That's not how static electricity works!"

Anyway, there's clearly some kind of problem with this amp -- maybe a grounding problem or a bad solder joint. Probably not major, but who knows... It sounds great otherwise, but unless GC fixes the pop or lowers their price, my quest for a vintage clean amp head will continue.

You should have said you'd buy it if they dropped the price by 200
Quote by imgooley
You should have said you'd buy it if they dropped the price by 200

They definitely know I'm interested. I told them that had it not been for the popping shenanigans, I would have tried to wheel and deal with them today. But I said that the crackling was a deal breaker and then I left.

If they offer to have a tech go over the amp and fix the problem, then I'll reconsider. My guess is that anyone else playing the amp is going to have the same complaint.

One other thing: they can't actually sell the amp for another couple of weeks. In Washington state, there is a 30 day waiting period before used/vintage equipment can be sold once GC acquires it, so that amp isn't going anywhere until the end of the month.
Last edited by Armchair Bronco at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by shadow__666

I second that.
Quote by chip46