Quick question,

Is it just me, or are the stock strings on the les paul standard 2008 not so great? I found the third string coming out of tune quite a bit, and the first string broke pretty fast. I'm gonna string it up with some Ernie Ball .10's tomorrow but I was just wondering if anyone else felt the same way.

Thanks

P.S. can anyone enlighten me as to the purpose of the locking tuning heads, and how they work?
Stock strings are never great. Always replace your strings when you buy a new axe. You never know what brand is on there, or how long they have been on there for. As for locking tuners, they lock the string posts, so that they will not turn, it gives you more tuning stability. As long as you have your strings wrapped around the posts correctly.
I don't know any guitarist who plays any guitar they buy with the stock strings. They all, including myself, change out the strings as soon as we get the guitar home. You just never know what the hell stock strings are, who played em, what they are made out of and other factors. Just change the strings like you plan and enjoy the guitar. Matt pretty much hit the nail on the head with the locking tuner explanation. If you don't want to go the locking route learn to put on your strings properly at the posts and get tuners with a higher tuning ratio.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.