Hey, I'm looking to record real bass in one of my songs. Is a direct box the best solution rather then milking the amp? Sorry, I'm new to recording and I don't know to much. As of right now I'm using cubase and I'm sick of the midi bass. Also, If the direct box is the way to go, whats decent one to get that works with vista.

Thanks
Any Direct box will work with Vista. It doesn't work with your computer in that sense. Its not gonna matter if you have Windows 3.1 or a mac. You can find some pretty good deals at musicians friend.
Do you mean interface? Most work with all OS's but if you mean DI box, its just a piece of hardware... to lower the impedence of the instrument and turn it into a balanced signal.
Quote by doommaker
Do you mean interface? Most work with all OS's but if you mean DI box, its just a piece of hardware... to lower the impedence of the instrument and turn it into a balanced signal.

Well should I get both?

Could you guys possibly give me links to something that would work.
Quote by circa321
Hey, I'm looking to record real bass in one of my songs. Is a direct box the best solution rather then milking the amp? Sorry, I'm new to recording and I don't know to much. As of right now I'm using cubase and I'm sick of the midi bass. Also, If the direct box is the way to go, whats decent one to get that works with vista.

Thanks

An interface will have a DI. Most pro basses mike the amp and use a DI. The DI lets you keep a good clean copy of your playing in case the tone wasn't good. Also, you could use this clean playing to drive a good software amp like the SVX plugin. Most interfaces from M Audio will have a DI box and work with any version of Vista (they connect via USB and Firewire without a problem). The ADA8000 you mentioned won't connect to your computer properly...it requires an ADAT input.

Sansamp's RBI and IBP's Red Eye are really good dedicated DIs. You can connect them to an interface without a problem. The latter can take the output of an interface into an amp (called reamping), so you can almost recreate your playing through the amplifier. The former can do a clean and modified signal at once.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Feb 6, 2009,
Quote by circa321
If I wanted to record guitar, bass or vocals I would need something like this?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-ADA8000-Ultragain-Pro8-ADA-Converter?sku=182483

You could use that, but you'd still need a Direct box to go directly in. You can also buy a mic and cord. Look at the SM57 or Audix D5.
Agreed, perfect. There are cheaper models out there, but that one has a good price to features ratio. And it should handle all your needs.