First year I played, I played from when I got home from school, to when I had to go to bed. I've been playing for 2 years now, and I apparently sound like I've been playing for 10 :P
when i first started i played 5-6 hours a day... that was 3 years ago. now im busier so its usually an hour a day.
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
I started at like 15 mins a day because I hated the first steps then it got to half hours, then an hour and now its just hours and hours, you will find you play more when you get a couple months in because youll want to experiment and well play the songs you listen to.
when i first started a few hours.
it doesn't really matter how much you practice, it's how often and if you do correct practice. there are a few articles here on UG about that.

EDIT: i mean, if you practice 8 hours a day but you don't do it the way it's supposed to be it will not be worth it, but if you practice 2 hours a day and have correct practice you'll see more improvement. i just re-read what i wrote.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Last edited by magnum1117 at Feb 6, 2009,
I tell my students a minimum of 15 minutes a day, and you'll see progress. Obviously, the more time you devote, and the more disciplined you are with practice (i.e. practice vs. rocking out), the quicker you can see the improvements.
It's not so much how long you play,but how effective your practice strategy is.Shorter practices that are full of challenging things will help you more than say a long practice were you just dick around.To be Honest,I didn't take guitar seriously at all for my first three years.I'd play it for an hour or two,then put it down and not touch it for a couple months.I didn't get seriously until my 4th year in,so about half my time as a guitarist was spent dicking around.I made up for that wasted time by practicing a lot and pushing myself with things that were challenging an just beyond the cusp of my ability.Now I'm slightly above average for a six year guitarist because of it,it's all how you use your time.

On a side note,if you ever feel pain or discomfort in your fingers,joints,hands and so on while playing then you should stop immediately and let them rest.No point in developing problems with your hands because you went too far.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

In the beginning i played 5+ hours a day, because it was so new and exciting. Now i play around and hour and a half a day. But that includes making my own music, and improving my overall guitar playing.. So it's not enough in my mind.. i'm just a lazy bastard.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
When I very first starting playing in like 4th grade i played like 10 min. a day or something and I sucked, but when I actually got interested in guitar in 10th/11th grade I played probably two hours a day or so and my skills improved fast enough that I could actually tell that I was getting better. I wouldnt say you have to play till your fingers bleed or play six hours a day, or play thirty minutes a day. As long as you play consistently and avoid perfecting bad techniques. Just find some songs you like and start to learn them via ear or tab, whatever you do best. If you try to play songs that you really like, you wont have to force yourself to practice, because you'll want to play nonstop. You'll probably find it hard to stop playing to be honest.