Page 1 of 2
What I mean is, if you hear a song on the radio, can you say "I'll bet the guitar is a Gibson Les Paul"? Or when you hear an old song on the radio, is it like, obvious that the guitarist is playing a classic "x" brand guitar?

I was also wondering if you can go to a live band and identify what pickups, pedals, amps, etc.. the guitarist is using? Like we go to a concert and the guitarist has a Telecaster and you go "That thing obviously has '________' pickups.

Or even critique the sound by saying something like; "he would sound much better if he upgraded his guitar to a better model or had new humbuckers" ?

I was listening to the radio today and it got me thinking these things.

Thanks.
i think there are a few things one can distinguish just by the sound alone. for example, it's relatively easy to notice if a guitar being played has a humbucker or a single-coil. generally speaking humbucker sound "fat" while single coils sound "thin"
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Well I think it's pretty easy to pick out a strat on the neck pup when someone is soloing clean on it.
But other than that its kind of hard to tell because if you notice there are many different variations of each guitar and they can go from A-Z in sound
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Most of the time wah pedals are pretty easy to recognize and like the other guy said, humbuckers and singles are distinguishable. But when it comes to guitars, its a tab bit hard. I mean, Les Pauls and SGs have a pretty distinct sound, but they can sound just the same as some Fender sometimes. Maybe some people can, I know I can't.
Quote by yellojeeper
What I mean is, if you hear a song on the radio, can you say "I'll bet the guitar is a Gibson Les Paul"? Or when you hear an old song on the radio, is it like, obvious that the guitarist is playing a classic "x" brand guitar?

I was also wondering if you can go to a live band and identify what pickups, pedals, amps, etc.. the guitarist is using? Like we go to a concert and the guitarist has a Telecaster and you go "That thing obviously has '________' pickups.

Or even critique the sound by saying something like; "he would sound much better if he upgraded his guitar to a better model or had new humbuckers" ?

I was listening to the radio today and it got me thinking these things.

Thanks.

Well.. I mean there will always be the blatantly obvious differences between thick mahogany guitars with humbuckers (ala Gibson Les Pauls) and ash or alder guitars with single coils (fender).

I seriously doubt anyone but Eric Johnson could tell you the make and model of a guitar just on sound alone though.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
when hendrix plays...it sounds like he uses a strat
Quote by Spoony_Bard
I hate that...actually I just hate anyone under the age of 16

Quote by RockGuitar92
Just get it cut a little. It will grow back. Besides why is it so important to look metal? That's just retarded.

Gear in profile
it's pretty easy to tell if people are using strats or tele's. they have such a distinct tone that it really puts them apart form other guitars. mostly, amp is easier to recognize. i can definitely tell when a guy is using a mesa rectifier or a 5150. they have distinct tones. sometimes, i am wrong but in the studio you can make anything sound like anything. they do so much digital processing and layering that everything sounds different. in a live situation it's a lot easier i guess because theres no digital studio tricks.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
i can get a basic idea of which guitar model is being used, sometimes im wrong though. it gets real blurry when it gets into Metal guitars and EMG territory
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Last edited by Fuzzbox91 at Feb 6, 2009,
i can usually tell when a strat on position 2 or 4 is being used. like every one has said i think i can get a basic idea but not 100%
If it's classic rock and music like Modest Mouse or Interpol I can tell or guess most of the time. I always had a hard time telling if the guitar Knopfler used on "Sultans of Swing" was a strat or a tele.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

well if everything we heard was clean it would be easier i think unless you talking stock pickups between a fender and a lespaul on the bridge(its easy to tell when someone is using some heavy crunch on a singlecoil.)

but back to my first statement, les paul has a beefy tone, while a simi hollow by the same company has a beefy tone with more of a wooden tone added etc at least thats what i hear.
the stock neck pickups on PRS like Santana uses tend to stand out more to me.

telecasters stand out pretty good from strats because of that huge metal bridge IMO.

but once ya start adding effects to the tone it colors it too much for me to ID it most of the time.
Quote by apak
in a live situation it's a lot easier i guess because theres no digital studio tricks.

In a live situation it's easy because you can usually see the stage. And you can do some crazy **** in real time with pedals and rack mount nonsense.

OP: To a very slight extent. I'd say you can hear stuff like "strat, tele, LP, archtop" but probably not "MIA deluxe american strat with dimarzio pups and ernie ball 0.09s"
Quote by Roast Beef
In a live situation it's easy because you can usually see the stage. And you can do some crazy **** in real time with pedals and rack mount nonsense.

OP: To a very slight extent. I'd say you can hear stuff like "strat, tele, LP, archtop" but probably not "MIA deluxe american strat with dimarzio pups and ernie ball 0.09s"

strange i usually can tell just about everything just by listening. i even amazed my friend when i guessed correctly, i said:

that's a

Ibanez RG
5 piece maple/walnut neck through
with a mahogany body and maple cap
edge pro w/ a tremsetter
witha a Tone Zone/Air Norton
and EB 10-52's

he was like, holy **** you must be god
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I was only being slightly sarcastic, I bet Eric Johnson could pick out some of those details.

I see I'm not the first one to mention EJ
Quote by Roast Beef
I was only being slightly sarcastic, I bet Eric Johnson could pick out some of those details.

I see I'm not the first one to mention EJ

I am NOT being sarcastic

I R s3ri0us
o__0
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Well, just as an example:

Listen to 88 by Sum 41.
You can tell that's a Tele.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by SomebodySomeone
I am NOT being sarcastic

I R s3ri0us
o__0

How could you tell what bridge somebody was using? I mean
edge pros have a "steel sound chip" on the saddles that "improve tone".
i can recognize that distinct sound from those special saddles anyday
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by Chance125
I seriously doubt anyone but Eric Johnson could tell you the make and model of a guitar just on sound alone though.

Yeah, but then, he'd give you a list of twenty things you could do to get better tone.

One of which is to turn your effects pedals to the side so they're aligned to the amp at a 45-degree angle, another of which is to use three springs in your tremolo system, not four.

I mean, the man's a musical genius, but he's got such an obsession with tone... It seriously can't be healthy.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
^ I heard he can tell the difference between evereadys and duracells in his pedals or some nonsense

Quote by SomebodySomeone
edge pros have a "steel sound chip" on the saddles that "improve tone".
i can recognize that distinct sound from those special saddles anyday

"improve tone" huh seems like a lot of products "improve tone" in some way or another
Quote by Roast Beef
^ I heard he can tell the difference between evereadys and duracells in his pedals or some nonsense

"improve tone" huh seems like a lot of products "improve tone" in some way or another

yup, plus it helps create a stronger magnetic field that will keep those duracells from draining quickly
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I think the only thing you could tell are the following:

generalisation b/t Les Paul, Strat, Tele, Hollowbody

Possibly could tell distinction between like neck pup on a Strat and position 4 on a Strat and bridge, or neck and bridge pup on a Tele

But that's about it. I don't see how anyone could truly pick out a pickup just by listening.

I mean sure, if you listen to a lot of 80s bands, you can probably guess randomly like "Charvel superstrat, DiMarzio Super Distortion in bridge with floyd rose, alder body" and be correct or something like that, but that's about it really.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
@somethingsomething , I was waiting for some utter nonsense. I wonder what brand of soap EJ washes his hands with.
You should be able to tell humbucker from single coil and Maybe be able to differentiate like Tele or Strat. But that's about it, you would have better luck guessing the amp.
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
Yeah... I can normally tell what type of guitar it is down to the model... Like an RG. But that's about as far as I go.

Also... I just know what guitars most people play.

And to whoever said they could never tell what guitar Mark Knopfler used for Sultans of Swing, I consider it a guitarist's duty to know that he uses a red strat with the pickup selector in the second position while fingerpicking it.
Quote by mountain2012
I want a Fender because they are THE American rock sound. I'm proud to be an American.

Gear:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Firebrand

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
Advanced guitar players? There are master pickup makers and guitar makers that don't even know how to play the guitar. You don't need to be an "advanced player" to identify the sound.

Edit: Oh, and to answer your question. I think it's really only possible to identify the difference between single coils and humbuckers, and strats and LP's, for instance you can tell the difference between a strat humbucker and an LP humbucker... the exact guitar and pickup model I think would be impossible to identify.
Last edited by DEATHPANDA at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by Roast Beef
How could you tell what bridge somebody was using? I mean

It's probably because all RGs have that bridge.
It depends on the situation and the ear.
If someone heard me playing a metal song on my strat, people would probably think I was probably playing a Jackson or Ibanez or something, however some people would tell it's a strat.

Though on recording it can be blindingly obvious what guitarists use, the "signature" sounds of guitars (Strats would be thin, twangy etc, Teles would be bright and jangley, Les Pauls thicker and warmer etc), but even when it's harder to distinguish people can tell what the guitar is.
Once I guessed at what angle the pick was held on a record. It went against Paul Gilbert's efficient technique
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
It's probably because all RGs have that bridge.

The good recent ones
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
no because each amp can make each guitar sound different
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by bornfidelity
The good recent ones

I wouldn't know

Quote by fifer
no because each amp can make each guitar sound different

Sure, but if you plug a Les Paul into a certain config and then plug a SSS Strat into the same amp, it'll sound different.
Last edited by Nilpferdkoenig at Feb 7, 2009,
yeah but if you plug in a fender standard strat sss, you wont be able to tell me the exact model guitar it is.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by fifer
yeah but if you plug in a fender standard strat sss, you wont be able to tell me the exact model guitar it is.

I definalty won't but some people can.
It's like perfect pitch. I'll never be able to say what note is being played but some people just can.

Paul Gilbert notices when his guitar has a different neck (tonewise)
perfect pitch and knowing the guitar being played is different. for perfect pitch you just need to know what note it is...I personally think that it is imposible to know what guitar it is. there are so many different guitars that it would just be imposible.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
dude there are only 12 main notes used, there are hundreds of different stock guitars let alone customized guitars. there are machines that can tell what note you are playing by hearing it (tuners), there isnt any machines that can do that and tell what specific guitar it is.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Page 1 of 2