I wanna get a job at my local music shop and i just wanted to know if there should be anything i should know alittle more about guitars and instruments and all that, I spose my speciality would be electric guitars, but i wanted to know if there is that little bit more I should know
The more you know the better, that's pretty much it. Just know as much as you can about the equipment they sell (I find stores lean towards a few brands) so get to know what they sell.

Maybe go in there, check out what they sell, research it, then go back and see about a job, if you get in, you'll already know all you have to know.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Just make sure you actually know what you're talking about when you give recommendations, I'd also say don't try to sell people pieces of crap, but most stores, not just music stores, will try and sell you anything they can.

Just be knowledgeable, but make sure your "knowledge" is correct.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
Yeah, make sure you have knowledge on what they sell. And try to be an honest, helpful salesperson. I know you'd probably make commission, but what about the commission your heart makes, man?! THINK OF THE CHILDREN (and their MGs)!

LOL. But seriously, that'd be a bad ass job. I say, what have you got to lose?
Just be nice, and if you don't know any particular detail, don't bull****. That can blow up in your face, as many of your customer will know better than you anyway.
Know enough that you can sell pretty much any guitar to anyone. From the guy buying his first one to the professional looking to buy something really high end. You just really need to be able to answer any questions people have as well like Im ask the people in my shop what floyd is in this guitar? or what pickups does this one have?
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
know that sometime down the line. you will have to sell an MG or a Spider to a customer that just 'knows it all'

learn a LOT of things.. things about harmonicas (theres lots of different keys.. and they usually call them harps), violins, tunings of mandolins, ukeleles, banjos, how to tune a drum, Different types of mics and reputable brands, and learn that when its not busy, you're gonna be organizing ALL the time

familiarize yourself with their sheet music section too.

thats about all i can think of right now. I used to work in a music shop. it was AWESOME, but i'll tell you its definitely not sitting around all day trying out equipment.

a lot of it is helping people make informed decisions.. and listening to people play hacked up versions of Master of puppets and whatever nasty pop tune is popular right now.

Edit:

Learn ALOT about acoustics. i can't stress this enough. whatever brands the store you want to work in are carrying, pick up every pamphlet of those brands you can and learn about them. What kinda wood they're made of (and what kinda sounds those specific woods make), what kind of electronics they have (if any, most do these days!)
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Feb 7, 2009,
Don't work at billy hyde. They are all dickheads.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Knowing the guitar stuff and the the stuff they sell at the shop can be learned by every moron in 1 week or so, unless you do maintenance like pickup changing, string changeing, setting up a guitar etc.

I mean I used to work at a liquor store, and I went from knowing 10 brands to knowing 100+ different liquor within a week.

You must have selling skill and be able to potentially sell w/e is in the store.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by random_B-RAD
Don't work at billy hyde. They are all dickheads.

following on from this, try and get a job at the smallest "local msuic shop" kinda thing as you can. All you do at those kinds of places is sit around and play guitar all day and serve the 5 people a day that come in.
Quote by Diamond Dave
following on from this, try and get a job at the smallest "local msuic shop" kinda thing as you can. All you do at those kinds of places is sit around and play guitar all day and serve the 5 people a day that come in.

following on from this (lol)

I would look at PKs music, they are mainly 2nd hand/carvin dealers so they aren't that busy.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Honestly, there's no way you're any dumber (not saying you're dumb) or uninformed (not saying you are) than the average music shop worker. Don't punch the guy in the face and you should be have a job.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Diamond Dave

this pretty much.

you don't get heaps of gear like in the megastore ones but you don't get as many customers.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by Kevin Saale
Honestly, there's no way you're any dumber (not saying you're dumb) or uninformed (not saying you are) than the average music shop worker. Don't punch the guy in the face and you should be have a job.

True, most people on this site are pretty qualified. Just know how to play guitar, be able to sell something, and show up for work and you're probably good to go.
You need to know as much as possible about everything. Seriously, you'll give a good name to your music shop. There are sooo many people working at music shops that don't know what they're on about. I can't stand it. I'm 16 and I know more than them.
I'd go in to the shop in which you're interested in and just tell someone that you're interested in working there but would like to research the brands they carry (if it's a local shop) and would like to apply for a job there soon, it's probably work best and leave a good impression if you talked to the manager. I'd just try to cover the basics for questions you would get first, like "whats the difference between a fender jazz and precision bass" and "whats the difference between a fender telecaster and stratocaster," stuff like that.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Don't do it!

I did, i worked at one for 2 years, completely ruined guitar playing for me, just from the asshole kids.

You'll need to know : How to restring a guitar, how to polish a guitar, how to hang guitars on rack, how to serve customers, how to work a till.

That got me a job.

Don't do it!!! For hte love of all things good and holy.
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
Quote by spaterman
You need to know as much as possible about everything. Seriously, you'll give a good name to your music shop. There are sooo many people working at music shops that don't know what they're on about. I can't stand it. I'm 16 and I know more than them.

Dude
TS asks, how do I Get job at Music store;

You say; You need too know as much as possible

Then you say this;
There are sooo many people working at music shops that don't know what they're on about.

Oxymoron much?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by PCSpeaker
Don't do it!

I did, i worked at one for 2 years, completely ruined guitar playing for me, just from the asshole kids.

You'll need to know : How to restring a guitar, how to polish a guitar, how to hang guitars on rack, how to serve customers, how to work a till.

That got me a job.

Don't do it!!! For hte love of all things good and holy.

I take it you had a bad experience?
Quote by Alex Vik
I take it you had a bad experience?

"twas a shame, so many kids came in to play Fall Out Boy and one day, he just snapped. Ran off screaming..."
Quote by Stoney93
"twas a shame, so many kids came in to play Fall Out Boy and one day, he just snapped. Ran off screaming..."

aside from the pop punk kiddies, it was teh absolute retard who spray painted his guitar, hardware et-al, and then tried to get me to sell it for him.

And the prick who dropped an axe and cracked it, thankfully it was a home brand one, but i forgot how retarded people can be.
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!