Has anyone ever taken a break from guitar? I have been playing for 4 months, and I have been playing a lot and now im exhausted from it. Does this mean I don't like it or should quit playing it?

Thanks.
No, damn near everyone takes brakes. I take a break ever 4 months or so. Hendrix took breaks. Just spend some time doing other things and the love for music will grow again.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Everyone does it. If music is truly something you love, you'll come back to it. If it isn't, well then you'll know. It's not like not0loving guitar playing is a bad thing. It isn't for everyone.

But I bet you'll come back to it.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

I just started back from about a 5 month break... Taking breaks is a great way to refresh yourself and reassure what it was about playing guitar that interested you in the first place... When you come back to start up again you have a new sense of purpose and duty to your music and your instrument and your eyes are more open to the musical world around you...
sure. i've been playing for 13 years or so now and i find myself either practicing daily or just 2 or 3 times a week. breaks are normal and natural. put it down with the intention of just taking a break and go back to it when it feels right.
i have loads of breaks, the longest was probably over 6 months.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Same here, I haven't played a lot recently (I pick it up for a noodle for like 10 mins or so) but I haven't actively practiced. So I consider that to be a break, eventually i'd get fed up with this routine and want to get stuck back in to learning new things. I don't worry about breaks they come and go for everyone.
Quote by steven seagull
i have loads of breaks, the longest was probably over 6 months.

Dang that's long. I had a break for 2 months.

2 months of "learning" that is. There never goes by a day I At least play a few tunes or jam some.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 7, 2009,
I dont decide on taking a break. Sometimes i just dont feel like playing (maybe once every few months i'll have a few days off) and thus just dont play.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Dang that's long. I had a break for 2 months.

2 months of "learning" that is. There never goes by a day I At least play a few tunes or jam some.

Stuff just gets in the way sometimes...18 years is a long time to manage to do something every day

except wanking
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Stuff just gets in the way sometimes...18 years is a long time to manage to do something every day

except wanking

roflzzz, yes true, I not play guitar always it depends if I'm at home or not really.

Learn to wank and play guitar at the same time, maybe not pleasant, but then you at least will play guitar every day.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Yeah, I can vouch for that
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Longest break I've had is a 2 week holiday. It hasn't ever crossed my mind to voluntarily do it.
I don't take long breaks, I take like maybe 2-3 day long breaks and go back. I do it more then every 4 months though. I'm pretty sure everyone needs a break.
Remember you play guitar because you want to. Its a hobby for most people. If you force it when you're really not in the mood, it becomes a job.

I'd say give yourself 3 or 4 days, then re-evaluate how you feel. Sometimes "distance makes the heart grow fonder" applies very well to the guitar.

I think the longest total break I took was about 2 months when I had an infection on my pinky that wouldn't go away. I've had other longish breaks where I didn't stop playing completely, but I'd only pick it up for 10 mins here and there.
Youve only been playing four months? If I read correctly?
You could slow down, But when I began the least bit of variety is what threw me off for a while. So, maybe expand, try new genres etc. but I doubt quitting is the answer so quickly. You could be frustrated with something you cant play, Even know I have troubles with fingerpicking and then I just toss my acoustic. But I dont quit.
You could also try some foot pedals, Messing with new sounds really helped me back into it some days.

Of course, I dont know your situation, I typically play damn near 4 hours a day. My six string is my life, so i dont exactly know how important it is to you.
Till Death Do Us Part
So Die
As an example, I "self-removed" a wart on my pointer finger, and didnt stop playing.
It was quite nice having bloodstains on my heavy gauged strings. So I guess I couldnt tell you, the longest break ive ever had was 3 weeks.
Till Death Do Us Part
So Die
My breaks only last like 2 days at the most.
I would go crazy if I went for weeks or months without playing.
Not only that, but I'm a competitive person when it comes to guitar, so you can imagine how that would make me feel.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Yeah I take breaks if I have something more important going on. Also I switch back and forth between piano and guitar.
breaks? what xd I play every day it just various from month to month the intensity of my playing
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.