Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I don't know if this has been done before but I was hoping you all could help, with your greater knowledge of guitars. Could we compile a list of guitars in a certain price range with specifications, so that I could just have a list for when I go to GC and try them all out.

If you would be so kind:

I'm looking for a strat/superstrat type body for upper fret access.
It should be able to play metal/shred and jazz, the in between sounds aren't as important.
Could be H/H or S/S/H, no S/S/S.
Or even H/S/H would be cool too
6 Strings
Not a super thick fender neck.
Around the $1000 dollar mark new
Willing to go used.

Preferences:
hardtail (about 60% sure I want one, but it's so limiting for choices)
Body wood with a dark warm tone.
Not EMG's, I prefer passives.

I'll edit any links you guys can provide into this post, and maybe we can come up with something useful for people (including me )

Thanks a bunch!

EDIT: Ibanez S2170 Prestige
Ibanez RG2550 Prestige
Ibanez RGR1570

Ibanez SZ4020 Prestige

PRS Paul Allendar

RGA121
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Last edited by Soul Eater at Feb 9, 2009,
Ibanez RG1570 since you said you are unsure on if you want a trem or not. They retail about $899 new from musicians friend. Damn I recommend this guitar alot prolly cause i want it .
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Yep, you're pretty much describing an Ibanez there. Don't know if they offer those models with hard tail though... but, you could give it a try...
Quote by Genghis_khan
Yep, you're pretty much describing an Ibanez there. Don't know if they offer those models with hard tail though... but, you could give it a try...

I will check the catalog for you on that but im pretty sure the prestige guitars all have trems.

EDIT: I was right they all have trems but nonetheless still great guitars. The trem in the 1570 is edge pro too so its damn reliable.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Lethal Dosage at Feb 7, 2009,
My see if you can get a deal on a used PRS for a grand. F-in amazing guitars....
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
i have an RG1570 for sale.
check out my ad in the classifieds forum
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1062252
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Ibanez RG1570 since you said you are unsure on if you want a trem or not. They retail about $899 new from musicians friend. Damn I recommend this guitar alot prolly cause i want it .

you should keep recommending it. and be sure to redirect people to me and let them know i have one for sale

or you can just buy it off me yourself
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by SomebodySomeone
i have an RG1570 for sale.
check out my ad in the classifieds forum

you should keep recommending it. and be sure to redirect people to me and let them know i have one for sale

or you can just buy it off me yourself

If only I had $700 my friend I would.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
pretty sure u made an exact same post like 2 days ago.. nice one.. nice
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6

These guitar recommedation threads are kinda blurring together in my head latley.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by JimmyBanks6

I haven't made anything like this, and I know the rules of the forums.

But anyway, if I had the choice, I would want a hardtail, but it just limits my selection of guitars so much. There's plenty of excellent guitars out there for what I'm describing, but almost all of them have trems!

I'll have to try out some more of those bridges and maybe see if I can get used to playing with them. A lot of the way I anchor has to do with the bridge of a guitar, and I can't really put any pressure on a trem bridge.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
I recently bought a used RG1570 from guitar center for $300 and it is killer

the only problem I've had is the saddles becoming too sharp and breaking strings, I tried uppin the gauges but same problem. I still got the warranty on it so I'll just get all the saddles replaced. But other than that, it's a kickass guitar, especially if you can get it under the retail.

However I'm skeptical whether it's real or not since the headstock says RG series.

To Soul Eater: you could always get the trem blocked, virtually makin it a stoptail, but it might be hard dependin on what trem you get.
Elitists don't rage on me bro.
Last edited by grindmetalhead at Feb 7, 2009,
How did you get one for that cheap?

The thing about getting the trem blocked is that it's still a pain to tune the thing. Although I pretty much play in standard now, who knows where my tunings will venture in the future.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Last edited by Soul Eater at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by Soul Eater
How did you get one for that cheap?

The thing about getting the trem blocked is that it's still a pain to tune the thing. Although I pretty much play in standard now, who knows where my tunings will venture in the future.

You learn it quickly trust me its just a matter of trial and error with trem guitars. I guarntee you with an RG1570 you wont be dissapointed in the quality the prestige are the best guitars Ibanez makes besides the JEM.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
to Soul Eater: I walked into guitar center on my birthday to treat myself to something, and I just happened to be lucky.

Well if you're gonna be goin into simple drop tunings consider gettin a d tuna, although I'm not sure if the saddles on the edge pro would support it.
How are the pickups on the axes?
I haven't heard anything about IBZ DiMarzio's.
Maybe I can swap them out?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
in case you missed it, buy mine if you want a FR style RG
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Considering the price+shipping, I can go and get an new one for almost the same price.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
i've been meaning to edit my OP to lower the price , i'll sell it for $700 shipped
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by Soul Eater
How are the pickups on the axes?
I haven't heard anything about IBZ DiMarzio's.
Maybe I can swap them out?

You could easily switch them out they are decent but nothing amazing
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
werd, the 1570's stocks have a nice, jazzy bite to them on clean, but on dirty, they're just okay. if you got the money do a pup swap. I'm switchin to mustaine livewires.
I looked on MF and the 1550 is the same thing with a pickguard, but it costs less.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by Soul Eater
I looked on MF and the 1550 is the same thing with a pickguard, but it costs less.

hmmm. that's odd....
oh well. let me know if you change your mind.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
What would you guys recommend from other companies other than Ibanez?
I saw some nice Jacksons and schecters on MF.
How are the trems on the Dinkys?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Prestige-Series-RG2550Z-Electric-Guitar?sku=515738
Try to get them to price match this
http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/rg2550z.htm
I got it a few months ago for $800 (black friday sale), best guitar value ever.

No schecter can compete with a Prestige Ibanez. I haven't played a jackson in the price range. But if you can get the Ibanez for $800, it will be a great deal.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Feb 8, 2009,
How's the Edge Zero trem on it?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
O I read that. So you were able to move up a gauge without problems?
How easy is it to tune?

Sorry I've got no experience with trem guitars at all. I've played some but they never actually had a bar to use it (at GC).
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
I had problems because I took the ZPS3 out. If you don't mess with anything and it works very well
Did you have any problems with the bolt-on neck?
I would expect a guitar in this price range to have a neck thru.
I thought neck-thru was considered the best of all three.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
The bolt on neck is actually nice. The joint is very comfortable. It's very easy to get t the 24th fret. It's a lot better than Fenders with the back plate. Neck through isn't necessarily better. They sound different than bolt-ons because there's more maple. The neck is also shaped different. It's all personal preference. Plus, the RG with the neck-through is $2400
Hmm, the difference between the RG1550M and the RG2550OZ is pretty much just the paint job and the trem system. The 1550M has the Edge Pro vs. a edge Zero.
The thing is, the RG1550M is a new 2009 model, while the Rg2550OZ is discontinued.
Thoughts on the differences? The inlays also aren't as good as the discontinued.

One the other had, Ibanez is upgrading the RG2550OZ into the RG3550OZ by putting in real DiMarzio's and costing an extra $500.
Pickups don't cost $500 do they?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
i just check and it seems Rg1550 are 100 more than my RG i was trying to sell you

anyways, i have heard from many people that the Edge Zero is not as great as everyone thought it would be. some people prefer teh Edge Pro to the EZ

and no pickups aren' worth 500. for about 150-175 you can get a pair of Real Dimarzios. I've heard IBZ/DiMarizios are a step up from the V pickups ibanez uses but i don't have any experience with those.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
You also a get the superwizard neck on the 3550s. The 2550 also comes with better pickups than the 1550, but you might want to change them anyway. If you can get the 2550 for $800, I say go for it. It's cheaper than the 1550. Some people love the Edge pro too. It's a win-win situation
Have you tried the RG1570/RG1550M?
How would it compare to the RG2550OZ?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by JELIFISH19
You also a get the superwizard neck on the 3550s. The 2550 also comes with better pickups than the 1550, but you might want to change them anyway. If you can get the 2550 for $800, I say go for it. It's cheaper than the 1550. Some people love the Edge pro too. It's a win-win situation

just out of curiousity
isn't the superwizard neck basically an Original wizard? as far as i know they're both 17mm at teh first fret.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by JELIFISH19
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Prestige-Series-RG2550Z-Electric-Guitar?sku=515738
Try to get them to price match this
http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/rg2550z.htm
I got it a few months ago for $800 (black friday sale), best guitar value ever.

No schecter can compete with a Prestige Ibanez. I haven't played a jackson in the price range. But if you can get the Ibanez for $800, it will be a great deal.

Shouldn't I be wary of buying a guitar online w/o trying it out first?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by Soul Eater
Shouldn't I be wary of buying a guitar online w/o trying it out first?

if you're buying from ibanezrules you don't.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Page 1 of 2