I've recently obtained my first somewhat decent amp and I realised how much I don't know. I've only ever had a starter amp and I'm sure we all know the tone capabilities that provides.

I'm in a band now (the reason for the amp upgrade) and I'm having a hard time finding a good tone. We're going to play stuff like Birds of Tokyo, 30 Seconds to Mars and Powderfinger, ranging to bands like Rise Against, Greenday and Foo Fighters (indeed, a mix of anything we happen to think of at the time)

Can anyone suggest some amp settings? I've never had the option of hi and low mids or even the effect of either.

Any advice will be appreciated.
I like boosting the low mid, gives more growl. This varies greatly on amp but in general I would make the bass highest, then the low mid slightly higher than the high, and high mid the lowest. This is just my opinion though.
Quote by Black Label93
theres an Ultimate Settings Thread. I guarantee it's got what you want

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688660

no it won't, that's for guitar.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I play metal mostly, and I have a 10 band graphic EQ (gogo hartke) and a 3 band EQ in my bass, and I prefer a brighter tone with brighter highs, crisp attacks, and good low ends, so my EQ looks basically like a Smiley face on my amp (Basses up, bowing down to around flat on the mids, and rising up again to the highs, roughly equivalent to a 9 or so on your bass, a 4-5 on mids, and an 8ish on highs if you have a 3 band eq in your amp with knobs). My bass's EQ has the mids completely pegged, with the highs around medium and the bass just over medium.

What sort of bass do you have? that'll help out a lot in figuring out how to adjust your tone.
Quote by the humanity
no it won't, that's for guitar.

yea it will, it's for guitar. unless im mistaken it also doesnt say if he plays guitar or bass
My Gear:
Epiphone Classic Les Paul
Ibanez JS1000 w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz and Pearly Gates
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
Last edited by Black Label93 at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by Black Label93
yea it will, it's for guitar.

No..it wont? As this is the bass forum?

Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by Black Label93
yea it will, it's for guitar. unless im mistaken it also doesnt say if he plays guitar or bass

go post the pear, I won't miss you.

for what you wanna play, most people would prefer boosting bass and treble, leaving the mids about 2 notches lower. still enough mids to cut through a mix, but it will still sound wicked.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
sadly i now realize what i've done
My Gear:
Epiphone Classic Les Paul
Ibanez JS1000 w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz and Pearly Gates
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
I have 2 formally legendary blogs on EQing which used to solve absolutely everyone's problems on EQing 'round here. If you feel like going to my profile and sifting through blogs until you find them, you'll be greatly rewarded.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
It's a personal preference thing, play around till you find something you like.