Yeah the mxr 10 band is the best choice if you have the cash. EQ's pedal are essential. You dont realize until you get one. Its used to shape tone, adding more control over your tonal options, adding some extra gain or more output. Nice pedals.
I wouldn't call an EQ essential, I mean, your amp does have one already so they can be a bit redundant. That being said, they can be useful. My only caution, make sure you aren't compensating for the fact you dislike your amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
make sure you aren't compensating for the fact you dislike your amp.

Gotta agree, you have a Peavey Backstage according to your profile, I would look at using an amp that is more then $100...
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I wouldn't call an EQ essential, I mean, your amp does have one already so they can be a bit redundant. That being said, they can be useful. My only caution, make sure you aren't compensating for the fact you dislike your amp.

Amps generally have 3 parameters--Bass, Mid, and Treble.
And EQ pedal gives you a lot more room to play with your sound.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
1. get the amp before the EQ, the amp is obviously much more important
2. may i suggest the B-52 AT112? its much less muddy, its heavier, its tighter, and and less fizzy than a valveking, and right now its going for 360 bucks, less than the VK
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
1. get the amp before the EQ, the amp is obviously much more important
2. may i suggest the B-52 AT112? its much less muddy, its heavier, its tighter, and and less fizzy than a valveking, and right now its going for 360 bucks, less than the VK

wrong.

quiet you.
Quote by brutalmania
wrong.

quiet you.

could you at least explain yourself rather than just tell me that im wrong in my suggestion about a great cheap highgain amp being better for metal than the valveking, a mediocre tube amp that doesnt specialize in any sound and sounds like poo too most people unless modded?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
could you at least explain yourself rather than just tell me that im wrong in my suggestion about a great cheap highgain amp being better for metal than the valveking, a mediocre tube amp that doesnt specialize in any sound and sounds like poo too most people unless modded?

+1 to this and your previous post.

Brutalmania, your last post is border line spam. You can disagree all you want, but at least back your claims up with some evidence or personal insight.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not