he's alternate picking, man.. damn good exercise too.. i started at 70 bpm, and got to 130 over 2 days
1997 Ibanez RG7620
Modded Starcaster by Fender

Boss GT10
Dunlop Mister Crybaby Wah

Line 6 Spider III 30
Quote by Pac_man0123
It would appear so.

John Petrucci's playing is hardly reason to quit guitar though.

Yeah, it just inspired me to practice sweep picking more...
Quote by Code-E
If he is alternate picking the "sweeps" I quit guitar...
Not literally but ****ass!!!
You make playing guitar sound like a chore.
He is John Petrucci and the correct term is neither sweep or alternate picking, he is mind picking them.
yea, my friend showed me this, I believe he said John was just supposed to sweep pick as normally rehearsed but as a spur of the moment thing went ahead and alt. picked instead
Quote by ShredGod George
you obviousry racka the disciprine needed to pray it right

My Gear:
Roland Micro Cube
Schecter C1-FR
Quote by west nile
yea, my friend showed me this, I believe he said John was just supposed to sweep pick as normally rehearsed but as a spur of the moment thing went ahead and alt. picked instead

The recording was all alt picked too, as are most live versions. He doesn't like sweep picking for the run-in of notes, sounds a bit mushy (even the worlds cleanest sweepers).

He does sweep it sometimes live though, usually when he's having an off day and doesn't feel like he's up to playing it alt picked (what a dickhead.. he only sweeps on off days..)
Quote by TimmyPage06
The recording was all alt picked too, as are most live versions. He doesn't like sweep picking for the run-in of notes, sounds a bit mushy (even the worlds cleanest sweepers).

He does sweep it sometimes live though, usually when he's having an off day and doesn't feel like he's up to playing it alt picked (what a dickhead.. he only sweeps on off days..)

i think i might have to sig that.