I play mainly Alternative and Indie ranging from Radiohead to QOTSA to Interpol. but my favorite to play is old Modest Mouse so that's really the sound I'm aiming for. I've played acoustic the entire time I've been playing so I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to electric guitars. I've only been serious about taking the step to purchase an electric guitar for the past 6 months or so since my cousin who plays the drums(and originally introduced me to pre-Float On Modest Mouse) and I started covering Mouse. I was never really serious about guitar up to that point so my acoustic was all I needed. My cousin plays in a band and a mutual friend of ours who plays bass in the band let me borrow his guitar and amp until I can get my own. The amp is great but the guitar is an SG with no whammy so most of the songs I've been learning have been incomplete.

Isaac Brock of Modest Mouse has written entire songs consisting of bending harmonics and usually does a little bit in most songs so it's important that I have something with a whammy that'll stay in tune. I'd prefer it to not be too complicated too. Pretty much everytime I ask someone what a good whammy bridge would be they say something generally meant to play Metal or something that comes on a guitar meant to play Metal which isn't what I'm looking for at all. Plus I've heard some of them can be pretty involved when it comes to setting up or changing strings. I'd like to keep it in the 500-750 range but I'd be willing to go a little higher if someone more informed than I deems it necessary.

Again, I'm new to this so sounding like an idiot is probably unavoidable. Thanks for any help.
Some kind of '72 tele?
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Strat with a trem or a PRS SE model with a trem.Those should cover it pretty well,you can probably find a nice used American Strat for around 750 or so.You also have to remember that your amp is a huge part of your tone,you could have an awesome guitar but if your amp is poor then your overall tone will suffer.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Thank you very much. I'm looking at the PRS SE Custom with a Trem at the moment. I've always favored the appearance of PRS guitars over most others and I actually had this one in mind but I wasn't sure it had the sound I wanted. I'll see if I can give it a try at a music store just to see how it plays but I'm definitely leaning towards getting it if I don't immediately notice something I dislike. Thanks again. I appreciate it.
Quote by transmission517
Thank you very much. I'm looking at the PRS SE Custom with a Trem at the moment. I've always favored the appearance of PRS guitars over most others and I actually had this one in mind but I wasn't sure it had the sound I wanted. I'll see if I can give it a try at a music store just to see how it plays but I'm definitely leaning towards getting it if I don't immediately notice something I dislike. Thanks again. I appreciate it.

No problem.With your budget you could probably get an SE and switch out the pickups if you have an issue with them.I've played the SE series,and while they weren't right for me,they're still good quality instruments and one of the best option for what you want in that price range.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.