Does any one have any mods for the v3 valve junior?
I looked in the ultimate vj thread but most of the links were 404'd
Does any one have any mods that will give it more of a Marshall type voicing(I seem to recall there was one that did that that was called the gold/silver mod)?
Or would it be better to gut it and turn it into a Lite IIb (http://guitaramplifierpcbs.com/liteiib.aspx)?
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Yea sewatt has a ton of mods. There is a specific marshall mod. It depends on how far you want to go from changing a few values to replacing the internal PC board and adding tubes.
Quote by ljohn
http://www.sewatt.com/vj-mods

You'll probably need to join.

There is a spreadsheet floating around with all the mods (it's the one that I used) and it's brilliant.

Can you please up load it here?
Kurtlives if you reading this, whats your thoughts?
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Its not that big a deal to join sewatt theres no cost or anything. And there are over 6k of threads dealing with mods for the Vjr. And several pages of mods in the facs section.
I believe the Bitmo mod still works on the V3's, you just have to omit a couple of steps in it.
http://thetubestore.com/bmtrio.html
IIRC, the Bitmo mod gives you a fender like voicing, if you want.
Also, changing your transformer, speaker and tubes is a HUGE improvement to this little amp.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Mercury-Mod-Valve-Jr-Combo-Kit_W0QQitemZ380075803829QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Amp_Accessories?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
this is actually a mod for the transformers, kind of pricey for just a little amp.

I've also heard of doing point to point conversions on them, from what I hear, you get a much richer, louder, clearer tone out of the amp.

this is a good place to get tubes from, I got a set for my vox from them a couple years ago. High Quality Tubes, amazing service.

http://www.vibroworld.com/index.shtml

When I was looking into mods for the Valve Jr, weber speakers kept coming up consistantly, this should help:
https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/

is that about what you were looking for from us?
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Thomme
I believe the Bitmo mod still works on the V3's, you just have to omit a couple of steps in it.
http://thetubestore.com/bmtrio.html
IIRC, the Bitmo mod gives you a fender like voicing, if you want.
Also, changing your transformer, speaker and tubes is a HUGE improvement to this little amp.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Mercury-Mod-Valve-Jr-Combo-Kit_W0QQitemZ380075803829QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Amp_Accessories?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
this is actually a mod for the transformers, kind of pricey for just a little amp.

I've also heard of doing point to point conversions on them, from what I hear, you get a much richer, louder, clearer tone out of the amp.

this is a good place to get tubes from, I got a set for my vox from them a couple years ago. High Quality Tubes, amazing service.

http://www.vibroworld.com/index.shtml

When I was looking into mods for the Valve Jr, weber speakers kept coming up consistantly, this should help:
https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/

is that about what you were looking for from us?

Thats a load of ****...

There are tons of mods on UG alone. There are tons on the net as well. That Sewatt mod sheet is quite useful. Try out as many mods as you can and see what works for you.

My personal favorites are master volume, tweed tone control, bright switches and cathode voicing switches. Adding an extra tube for an added tube stage or an oscillator circuit is fun but requires a bit more work.
The version 3 needs less work done to it. Replacing the OT does much less for vs than the earlier models. The combos could probably do with a better speaker. I got my vjr intending on doing all sorts of stuff to it. But decided rather than rebuild the vjr just build an amp from scratch. I changed a few caps in mine and fixed the input resister situation, I added a vol pot so now it has preamp gain and vol controls. I was going to do a tone stack but have an EQ pedal laying around that easier to use. I just use mine as a clean amp with pedals for OD and distortion.
Quote by kurtlives91
Thats a load of ****...

There are tons of mods on UG alone. There are tons on the net as well. That Sewatt mod sheet is quite useful. Try out as many mods as you can and see what works for you.

My personal favorites are master volume, tweed tone control, bright switches and cathode voicing switches. Adding an extra tube for an added tube stage or an oscillator circuit is fun but requires a bit more work.

how is that a load of ****?
In the sense that its not true...

PTP ya ok maybe the signal length is shortened but guitar amplification is so far from hi-fi audio it's not funny. That extra inch or whatever of trace really isn going to make a difference. Ok ya maybe depending on your PTP layout you will have different induction from components that react differently with others. This is very nominal and unimportant though. You have been fooled by boutique amp makers and there talk of PCB destroys tone.

I have given a few valid points...I would love to hear how a PTP conversion would make a better amp out of this budget amp...
I personally, like I said, haven't heard the PTP version, but when I was in a shop talking to the amp tech about it, another customer talked to us about mods he had done, he claimed that wiring it ptp made the tone clearer, louder and richer than the original pcb had. I think it makes perfect sense.
hahahaha...o you got sucked in.

I let you believe what you want.

Of course it made perfect sense....

I wonder if this special customer used different components when he redid his VJ? No not value changes, changing the dielectric and resistor composition. That makes a difference you know....
Quote by kurtlives91
hahahaha...o you got sucked in.

I let you believe what you want.

Of course it made perfect sense....

I wonder if this special customer used different components when he redid his VJ? No not value changes, changing the dielectric and resistor composition. That makes a difference you know....

I would assume that while doing a PTP conversion, he changed out a lot of the caps and resistors and filters with higher quality components. It just makes sense. I'd also assume that he got rid of the awkward grounding issue that the VJ's suffer from stock and converted his tube filaments to DC and also took care of the isolations issue with the jacks. Way I see it, it wasn't just a straight PTP conversion, but a full overhaul with better parts and the combination of the PTP wiring and higher quality components is what improves the amp's volume.
Quote by Thomme
I would assume that while doing a PTP conversion, he changed out a lot of the caps and resistors and filters with higher quality components. It just makes sense. I'd also assume that he got rid of the awkward grounding issue that the VJ's suffer from stock and converted his tube filaments to DC and also took care of the isolations issue with the jacks. Way I see it, it wasn't just a straight PTP conversion, but a full overhaul with better parts and the combination of the PTP wiring and higher quality components is what improves the amp's volume.

he changed out a lot of the caps and resistors and filters with higher quality components.

Well there you go...That's where the change came from. Of course better quality coupling, filtering caps are going to make a difference. Using carbon comp and metal film resistors in the correct places is also going to make a big difference. Changing of the materials of components can do so much to change the tone of an amp.

I'd also assume that he got rid of the awkward grounding issue that the VJ's suffer from stock

V3 do not suffer from awkward grounding issues. This thread is about the V3, I hope your not referring to an earlier versions.

converted his tube filaments to DC and also took care of the isolation's issue with the jacks.

All versions had isolated jacks....
V3 (I think V2 as well) have the DC filament system. No changes there.

Way I see it, it wasn't just a straight PTP conversion, but a full overhaul with better parts and the combination of the PTP wiring and higher quality components is what improves the amp's volume.

Well yeah.....We kinda just went over that. Nowhatimsayin?

But where teh HELL did you get the idea that these changes would improve the amps volume??? Tone, yes. Volume, no!

Not trying to attack you but I strongly disagree with some of your statements throughout the thread.
Last edited by kurtlives91 at Feb 8, 2009,
Quote by kurtlives91
Well there you go...That's where the change came from. Of course better quality coupling, filtering caps are going to make a difference. Using carbon comp and metal film resistors in the correct places is also going to make a big difference. Changing of the materials of components can do so much to change the tone of an amp.

V3 do not suffer from awkward grounding issues. This thread is about the V3, I hope your not referring to an earlier versions.

All versions had isolated jacks....
V3 (I think V2 as well) have the DC filament system. No changes there.

Well yeah.....We kinda just went over that. Nowhatimsayin?

But where teh HELL did you get the idea that these changes would improve the amps volume??? Tone, yes. Volume, no!

I got that idea from what I was told by someone who performed the mod, and then the amp tech that I was talking to confirmed that that would do it. So, that's where I got the idea.

So, the V3's did get that grounding issue taken care of? My understanding was that the VJ's input jack was not isolated from the chassis and by isolating it, you were able to get it quieter as far as grounding. I know I saw that on a site when I was looking into getting on, lemme see if I can find it.

edit: here it is: http://duhvoodooman.com/VJr/VJr_mods.htm
Last edited by Thomme at Feb 8, 2009,
V3 are nice and quiet for a Class A tube amp! All grounding issues were addressed! All jacks are most definitely isolated.

That link you have presented shows a V1 VJ. The V3 has a black PCB ant the inside looks quite different. The V1 and V2 had grounding issues.
Quote by kurtlives91
V3 are nice and quiet for a Class A tube amp! All grounding issues were addressed! All jacks are most definitely isolated.

That link you have presented shows a V1 VJ. The V3 has a black PCB ant the inside looks quite different. The V1 and V2 had grounding issues.

well, then, the TS won't have to worry about that. I don't know the specific differences with the different versions to a T. But, They all have the same circuit, so most mods carry over.
dynamitri
Ok.
But then, what is the meaning of a forum?
People want to know about mods that someone have already tried... and know about results...
Sad but seems this is an older thread.. I own a Epiphone Valve Jr Combo with Hot Rod mod.. the previous owner claim he upgraded some of the capacitors and components... I choose to upgrade he stock speaker to Jensen C8r and I like the sound. Not sure if there is a grounding issue.. thankful I haven't shock myself with it..

The previous owner added standby switch, and two switch.. gain and bright.. but not able to adjust. Just turn it on or not.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.