Lookin at those Peavy amps for my SG and maybe a pedal or two.

Any suggestions for the amp im willing to drop about 450 500 bucks pedal not so much maybe 150 ish each

Any suggestions i like to play like
Coheed and cambria
Led Zep
GnR
Pretty much alot of new rock and classic rock

Suggestions and links?
Huh? Your looking for a peavey amp? For new rock and classic rock you should be looking at the VOX VT30 or VT50.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by Striker846
Lookin at those Peavy amps for my SG and maybe a pedal or two.

Any suggestions for the amp im willing to drop about 450 500 bucks pedal not so much maybe 150 ish each

Any suggestions i like to play like
Coheed and cambria
Led Zep
GnR
Pretty much alot of new rock and classic rock

Suggestions and links?

Peavey classic 30 would do the job really well IMO.I know you can find them on the used market for that price.You can throw a pedal in there if you need it to do anything heavy.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

im not too sure what the price is, couldnt understand the sentance...

but you can get a peavey windsor half stack for 400-500, 120 watts. amazing rock tone, its an amazing amp
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
im not too sure what the price is, couldnt understand the sentance...

but you can get a peavey windsor half stack for 400-500, 120 watts. amazing rock tone, its an amazing amp

A new 100 watt half stack for 400 dollars? You really don't find anything suspicious there? The Windsors I've played sounded awful IMO,a ValveKing combo would be a better choice than the Windsor.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
A new 100 watt half stack for 400 dollars? You really don't find anything suspicious there? The Windsors I've played sounded awful IMO,a ValveKing combo would be a better choice than the Windsor.

the thing that is suspicious ... is nothing. its cheap because there is no clean channel
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
the thing that is suspicious ... is nothing. its cheap because there is no clean channel

Exactly.The quality and sound is poor IMO,and it lacks versatility.A 100 watt tube half stack for 400 bucks sounds good on paper,but it fails IRL,at least to my ears.Also,realistically a 100 watt tube half stack is most likely overkill for TS,not only is it large,but 100 tube watts is very loud.If he went for a windsor the studio combo would be better,but I still recommend the classic 30 and vavleking models over it since they beat out the windsor in versatility and tone IMO.

secondhand marshall DSL/TSL combo?
And yeahh a peavey Valveking 2x12 would probably do the job just as well
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Quote by Pr0gNut
Exactly.The quality and sound is poor IMO,and it lacks versatility.A 100 watt tube half stack for 400 bucks sounds good on paper,but it fails IRL,at least to my ears.Also,realistically a 100 watt tube half stack is most likely overkill for TS,not only is it large,but 100 tube watts is very loud.If he went for a windsor the studio combo would be better,but I still recommend the classic 30 and vavleking models over it since they beat out the windsor in versatility and tone IMO.

The windsor stupid (edit: oops, I called it the windsor stupid, I think I'll just leave it like that ) sounds like garbage, the stack isn't bad, especially considering the price. The lack of the clean channel and size could be a problem for the TS.

Classic 30 is a great suggestion, Also, I'll throw the crate V18 and V33 in there, can do the tones TS wants.

TS, how much do you have all together, it's much better to put your whole budget towards the amp and get the best amp you can get, saving up for pedals later is a lot easier than getting rid of an amp and trying to get a new one.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
The windsor stupid (edit: oops, I called it the windsor stupid, I think I'll just leave it like that ) sounds like garbage, the stack isn't bad, especially considering the price. The lack of the clean channel and size could be a problem for the TS.

Classic 30 is a great suggestion, Also, I'll throw the crate V18 and V33 in there, can do the tones TS wants.

TS, how much do you have all together, it's much better to put your whole budget towards the amp and get the best amp you can get, saving up for pedals later is a lot easier than getting rid of an amp and trying to get a new one.

None of them sound good to me.My local music store actually has about 5 or 6 used windsor models in a pile in the corner because people return them and get rid of them so often.I'm guessing a lot of college kids see the whole all tube thing and get it without realizing that the quality of a 100 watt tube amp would be poor at that price range and that 100 tube watts is ridiculous for dorm room volumes.

I forgot about the crate combos,didn't they drop the price on those recently? I agree that using the whole budget on the amp is a smart choice,650 USD can net you a lot of nice tube amps on the used market.

Edit: I noticed the windsor stupid typo,but figured it was fitting and let it be

Quote by Pr0gNut
None of them sound good to me.My local music store actually has about 5 or 6 used windsor models in a pile in the corner because people return them and get rid of them so often.I'm guessing a lot of college kids see the whole all tube thing and get it without realizing that the quality of a 100 watt tube amp would be poor at that price range and that 100 tube watts is ridiculous for dorm room volumes.

I forgot about the crate combos,didn't they drop the price on those recently? I agree that using the whole budget on the amp is a smart choice,650 USD can net you a lot of nice tube amps on the used market.

Edit: I noticed the windsor stupid typo,but figured it was fitting and let it be

The prices have been dropped for a while. 650 is a good amount for a used amp, definitely a lot to look for.

I thought the windsor sounded fine, but that's neither here nor there, I just make the suggestions and let the TS decide if they like the tone.
Quote by Kevin Saale
The prices have been dropped for a while. 650 is a good amount for a used amp, definitely a lot to look for.

I thought the windsor sounded fine, but that's neither here nor there, I just make the suggestions and let the TS decide if they like the tone.

Yeah,I'm sure there are some nice Fender tube amps and plenty of others on the used market for that price.I usually don't bash gear like I did with the windsor,but when someone states something like "Get it! It's awesome!" on UG without stating any facts I try to play the devils advocate if I can.In this case,having played the windsor and finding nothing to my liking,I figured it was the perfect opportunity to do so .I just don't want TS to walk away with an amp like that when he could get something better for his money.

I know how you feel. I should note, I don't think it's the end all be all, just that it sound ok to me and is certainly capable of the tones TS seeks. Hmm, the TS that hasn't replied to his own thread in hour.
lol sry i was in the gym lol

Im searchin them right now for the amps you guys are tellin me about. My thing is i either will have to wait till march to go try them out or just order them and get them sent her in iraq.

But Iv never had an amp before as i always have played acoustic and what not just switchin over to electic and I want something to play the kinds of music above and still be able to have different effects but i guess thats what pedals are for.

Thank you for the replys tho greatly apprieciated!!!!!

Ill be researching these amps BTW
Quote by Kevin Saale
I know how you feel. I should note, I don't think it's the end all be all, just that it sound ok to me and is certainly capable of the tones TS seeks. Hmm, the TS that hasn't replied to his own thread in hour.

Yeah,he went AWOL on his own thread.He also didn't give much info on what kind of amp he wanted and what type of environment it would be used in.He picked a good brand to be interested in at least,Peavey makes some good stuff IMO.I don't know what I'd do without my JSX combo haha.

O, this is your first amp TS? I'd look at the Vox AD30 and the vypyr 30. Tons of versatility, decent tone and plenty of effects to mess with, great beginner amps.
when i get back to germany it will be in my room which is rather small lol but i want something that i can get a clear tone on with the bands i like.
Still very new to amps as i states above
I was thinking peavy cause as i have gone over threads alot of people seem to like them alot.
If we're talking a Gibson SG, you can do no better than a Twin Reverb.. But finding a used one at a sensible price is a bit like a treasure hunt.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

First amp? Ok,now I have to recommend the Fender super champ XD model.It's only 300 dollars and makes for a great beginner tube amp.I got one for when the volume of my JSX combo is too much and it can cover all the sounds you listed.It's 15 watts all tube with built in effects and voices that simulate classic fender amps and other models.The voices range from clean to medium-high gain and the effects are pretty decent.Switching out the stock chinese tubes and the stock speaker on mine really brought it to life and let it shine.It can get pretty loud too,I cranked mine and could be heard with a drummer.

Well,that's my two cents,good luck shopping

Quote by Lurcher
If we're talking a Gibson SG, you can do no better than a Twin Reverb.. But finding a used one at a sensible price is a bit like a treasure hunt.

Are you kidding? For led zeppelin and GNR (marshall tones) and coheed (I'm assuming some high gain nonsense?) Come on man, make some sensible suggestions.

The 30 watt versions of the vox valvetronix (AD) and the vypyr should have enough juice to jam with drummers. I know you can afford better, but they're good starting points to figure what effects you like and what kind of tone you're after.

Edit: Superchamp is good too.
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Feb 7, 2009,
Yeah I was think that Vyper 30 would be pretty good amp. Ill prolly end up buying that one if any i see alot of good things about vyper here on the forums nothin really bad about them either from what ive seen.

Thank you for the suggestion!!!
Vypyr isn't that good, for what you want to play get a VOX VT30.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by Pr0gNut

the windsor isnt terrible, but the cab it comes with blows

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

should I get anything to go along with the amp?

Like what are some good effect pedals and stuff or stuff that are just nice to have and to be able to mess with
You said your getting a modeling amp, Why on earth would you need an effects pedal with a modeling amp, it is just getting more of what you already have.

Get an EQ pedal if your really have to get a pedal.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
lol like i said this IS my FIRST AMP lol
but yes ill admit stupidity but hey gotta learn somehow lol
Quote by Striker846
Yeah I was think that Vyper 30 would be pretty good amp. Ill prolly end up buying that one if any i see alot of good things about vyper here on the forums nothin really bad about them either from what ive seen.

Thank you for the suggestion!!!

You can get much better amps than the vyper with your budget.Don't settle for less because it gets good reviews and people bandwagon the thing here.Being a beginner amp,most of the claims of it being great are from,surprise,beginners.You should get an amp that you can use for years until you're ready for something large.The vyper is a decent beginner/practice amp,but it's still a small solid state amp and wont be able to handle jamming volumes and so on.I still think you should go with a small wattage tube amp,it'd be a lot better in the long run and it will help you get familiar with tubes early on.