I've been playing 2 years, and I still anchor my hand by placing my pinky on the pickguard. It seems it's the only way I can play leads.

What can i do to stop this? Or is it really even that bad of a habit?
I do it all the time. So do a lot of professionals. Its not recommended, buts its a habit I guess.
i dont, but i usually keep the outer part of my palm (base of pinky) on the bridge. i'm completely lost without doing that...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
for speed, ots not recommended, for intricity, it is, do learn to do both
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
its good if you have a flexible kind of anchoring going on...if its stiff and hinders your speed, thats when its bad...but if it actually helps you skip from string to string through muscle memory, and you can still do it very fast, that means you re doing it right.
if you've been doing it 2 years there's more benefit to just keeping on with it than trying to start all over. Vince Neil and Joe Satriani do it. just don't stiffen up the finger, relax it a bit and dont push hard coz that's extra tension and you'll stuff up your wrists
Perhaps the most ridiculously over-discussed topic ever.

/thread
Quote by tom1thomas1
if you've been doing it 2 years there's more benefit to just keeping on with it than trying to start all over. Vince Neil and Joe Satriani do it. just don't stiffen up the finger, relax it a bit and dont push hard coz that's extra tension and you'll stuff up your wrists

LOL - it must be ok then
I stopped anchoring 3 months ago and I feel it improve my picking, but I can't do tremolo picking or palm muting without anchoring.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by Howard2k
LOL - it must be ok then

Yeah vince neil is a guitarist we all should look up to

No offense to motley I love them but this comment is funny.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I anchor, usually with just my pinky touching the pickguard. I prefer it to be honest, gives me a sense of leverage.

I know John Frusciante occasionally anchors also.
There's riddles in the shadows
They're thrown the way that i'd expect
And people never seem to know
What they least suspect is coming next
If it feels right for you, do it. If you use your pinky (and other fingers) for finger picking while plucking with the pick bass notes all in a solo.... then 1) wow, you kick ass and 2) DON'T ANCHOR

but if you don't do that when playing then by all means anchor away!
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by Lethal Dosage

Yeah vince neil is a guitarist we all should look up to

No offense to motley I love them but this comment is funny.

lol first guy that popped into my head he does some good fills sometimes.. nothing wrong with satriani though
Quote by tom1thomas1
lol first guy that popped into my head he does some good fills sometimes.. nothing wrong with satriani though

Yeah he plays on Dont Go Away Mad and Same Ol Situation live I think. Dont get me wrong man I love LOVE motley crue they are my second favorite band I just found the comment funny.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Wow... this is like .... an .... "it's unhealthy to pee" thread or something.

I'll bet I have 20 magazines at home from the 80's that describe how to anchor and why it's important to learn to do it properly.

Seriously... is like some giant huge massive guitar troll thread or something?

Like... those drink urine to stay young e-mails that were so popular a couple years ago.... that were a joke... but now.. .there are still people drinking their urine...

Is this one of those threads ???
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES