Hi,

I know what the difference is technically, but what is the difference in sound? I'm looking for an 80's van halen/ratt/dokken etc tone.

Is 25.5 actually that much harder to play (I don't have the biggest hands).

Also, what would be the effect of either of them with a floyd rose?

Check my Utube to see me playing!
Shorter scale lengths will be warmer and muddier than longer

25.5 is very easy to play

no difference when using a FR

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
big difference when using a FR, my bloodwood/sapele strat has 24 3/4 with a floyd rose, it plays like butter, it is very very low, not muddy, just warm as hell. it can still rock the 2nd fret whammy harmonic like CRAZY though! its a great playing guitar.
IMO, it's whatever you like better. I don't notice all that much of a difference. I like 25.5, even though I have an LP.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Eddie Van Halen, DiMartini and Lynch all used 25.5 scale length so think about that. I'd go for the 25.5 scale length but thats me as I prefer it.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Longer scales are definately preferred for lower tunings. Keeps the strings tighter for D standard and below
Quote by LP Addict
shredders tend to like the longer scale length because its easier to play speed licks on, when i turned to 24 3/4 i struggled for awhile, but i am definitely up to speed and faster now.

This is something I never understood. The "shredders like 25.5 scale" thing; I've heard it all over the place, but how could having the frets further apart help anything? Personally I like the playability of 24.75" much better, and I'm a shredder-type player.

The only bummer I have about 24.75" is that the strings are a bit looser, so heavy duty low end and/or downtuned riffing can sometimes loose a bit of oomph, and also playing up in the 20-24 fret range can turn into a major traffic jam since the frets are closer together than on a 25.5 scale. Hmm, perhaps that has something to do with shredders liking the longer scales....it does bother me a good bit playing way up there when the frets are so dang close.

Those are my $.02 anyways.
tighter strings = easier playability i guess, id ont know, i hang out with alot of neoclassical fgt shredders and they CANNOT play my guitar at all, their picking hand is all messed up because of the string tension difference.
Quote by lumberjack
This is something I never understood. The "shredders like 25.5 scale" thing; I've heard it all over the place, but how could having the frets further apart help anything? Personally I like the playability of 24.75" much better, and I'm a shredder-type player.

On a shorter scale, the higher frets tend to get squishy and your fingers get cramped together making it harder to play.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
tighter strings doesnt = better playability on much longer scale lengths other wise perry wouldnt be making multiscales to keep the tension down on higher strings (ignoring the sound difference reason for making multiscales)

Once you get up to 28 29 30" etc soloing can be hard on the tighter strings.

I cant belive people can play a 25.5" but not a 24.75" its barely any difference.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man