What makes a song great?
Any song, any genre that is.

Is it catchiness? Aggressiveness? Melody? Lyrics? Rhythm?

For me it would have an interesting but a very exciting melody.
I love all music genres albeit some (Pop Punk and Hip Hop) but I look for this factor.
It just has to have a great sometimes-catchy melody to turn me on.
An example would be that the type of heavy heavy metal (not something like Led Zeppelin, or deep purple) that I love the most is Whitesnake for their melodical lead lines.
But the best songs send my mind to a different dimention.
Last edited by radomu at Feb 7, 2009,
Entertaining, not one boring bit, can rouse an emotion in me and can be listened to several times without getting boring, has a good amount of technical playing (not always necessary but preferable) mixed with some nice melodies.
my favourite songs use the searchbar

other than that i just like cool melodies
Lady Gaga if you're out there, i don't care if you have a penis or not, i will marry you
Blast beats and gutterals.

Nah, I'm kidding.

If it packs energy, and the band can pull it off live with more if not the same energy, then it's a good song.

Good example here is 36 Crazyfists. All of their songs are full of energy, and when Brock gets on stage, he puts 110% into his performance.
Quote by Slinov
Blast beats and gutterals.

Nah, I'm kidding.

If it packs energy, and the band can pull it off live with more if not the same energy, then it's a good song.

Good example here is 36 Crazyfists. All of their songs are full of energy, and when Brock gets on stage, he puts 110% into his performance.

Unlike Dragonforce
Quote by frankv
An original and cleverly written song that evokes thought, an emotion (could be happiness, anger, sadness, anything basically) or an incredible urge to dance and move around.

Yep, this covers it.

Anything else is Pseuds Corner.
I'm simple.
Here's what would be the building blocks persé of a good song.

1. It must grab my attention within the first 10-15 seconds, whether that be musically or vocally/lyrically.

2. I need structure; Verse-Chorus is not a bad thing.

3. Melody; songs need distinction and a theme does exactly that.

4. No ****ing autotune.

Other than those basic principles I follow, it's just a matter of if I like it or not. But that to me is what makes a regular good song.
*shrugs* I don't know...
Quote by Jaykib
I'm simple.
Here's what would be the building blocks persé of a good song.

1. It must grab my attention within the first 10-15 seconds, whether that be musically or vocally/lyrically.

2. I need structure; Verse-Chorus is not a bad thing.

3. Melody; songs need distinction and a theme does exactly that.

4. No ****ing autotune.

Other than those basic principles I follow, it's just a matter of if I like it or not. But that to me is what makes a regular good song.

What about Lurch by Dillinger?

No set structure to the song, but it's still amazing.

I can't figure out why it is though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR6lLDFhiDQ
This threads getting cringey and pretentious as predicted.

Quote by charvel_man
FUCKIN' KEY CHANGE!

LIVIN' On A Prayerrrrr.
Quote by Slinov
What about Lurch by Dillinger?

No set structure to the song, but it's still amazing.

I can't figure out why it is though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR6lLDFhiDQ

I said REGULAR good song. Dillinger a far from regular :P

I like all kinds really, it's just like it or not. But typically those points I made are what (to me) I'd say build a decent song.

There's no saying what MAKES a song good though.
They just hit it right and appeal to masses of people in the short run.
*shrugs* I don't know...
Mistakes. I can't think of a good song where the band/singer/DJ/whatever hasn't at some point ****ed up and got away with it.
Something that makes me stop and go "woah" or gives me shivers down my spine, whether that be because of the tone or atmosphere created by the song, the emotion, in some cases the heaviness or even in other cases the sheer upbeatness of certain songs.
What have we learned.....

Words are weightless here on earth,
because they're free

.....from this wee exercise?
Quote by Jaykib
I said REGULAR good song. Dillinger a far from regular :P

I like all kinds really, it's just like it or not. But typically those points I made are what (to me) I'd say build a decent song.

There's no saying what MAKES a song good though.
They just hit it right and appeal to masses of people in the short run.

haha, i see.
Point taken and noted

Me personally, if it's catchy, or has catchy parts in it, it'll be good.

But i can't help but want to scream SCARS ON BROADWAY's album. I honestly think there isn't a song on there that isn't terrible.
Quote by charvel_man
FUCKIN' KEY CHANGE!

Never Give Up on the Good Times - Spice Girls

this is the only song that I remember having a good key change
Quote by radomu
Never Give Up on the Good Times - Spice Girls

this is the only song that I remember having a good key change

Josh Groban's cover of You Raise Me Up has an epic key change around 3 minutes. Youtube it.
NOPE.
It depends on my mood, but some songs I can enjoy in any situation.

Factors I appreciate:
1) Melody, above all.
2) Overall feel. I like a pretty conventional song. I'm not really all that into chromatic passages and stuff that seems to make no sense (apart from Opeth. They manage to do all that in a way that still sounds very musical)
3) A strong beat
4) I like energetic songs, performed with conviction. A lot of bands out there today seem to have a lot of the "elements" which I enjoy in a song, but I find them lacking in the balls department, so the song kinda goes in one ear and out the other.

Also, especially if I'm checking a band out for the first time, the song has to be good straight away. If I don't like the first 10 seconds of it, I'll probably just move on. I actually missed out on a lot of great songs that way
Last edited by sashki at Feb 7, 2009,
i like it if the song has a catchy guitar riff.

gives me somethin to learn, y'know?
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
Quote by charvel_man
Josh Groban's cover of You Raise Me Up has an epic key change around 3 minutes. Youtube it.

I guess Livin on a prayer wasn't that bad
Play the guitar through the whole song, doesn't matter how, just do it. That's why I hate so many AC/DC songs, cause they always decide to stop for a second between each chord.
Quote by mightywarrior
Play the guitar through the whole song, doesn't matter how, just do it. That's why I hate so many AC/DC songs, cause they always decide to stop for a second between each chord.

So you MUST hate Black Dog by Led Zeppelin.
Quote by radomu
So you MUST hate Black Dog by Led Zeppelin.

Sustain in the background, and the riff is kinda long anyway.

Last edited by mightywarrior at Feb 9, 2009,
has too have a jaw dropping solo and Lyrics and a meaning to the song
Last edited by one mosh boy at Feb 9, 2009,
everything. I don't "look" for anything in a song. I feel it or I don't. That's what makes a good song, whether its hip-hop, metal, blues or 80s pop.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Quote by Mechanixx
everything. I don't "look" for anything in a song. I feel it or I don't. That's what makes a good song, whether its hip-hop, metal, blues or 80s pop.

There are songs that have everything that should make it good, but for some reason I don't like them.

Your answer fits this description perfectly, as long as the song feels right, it's good.
Now there are some things which typically make for a good song (Build ups!).
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by mightywarrior
Sustain in the background, and the riff is kinda long anyway.

Sure, but whats wrong with stopping guitars?
I love it the most when a non-rock instrument comes in the middle of a solo, like a violin.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Its still hair, you know.