Hey

my thumb gets exhausted as hell after even half a minute of strumming barre chords. Its probably because a lot of thumb pressure is necessary to make sure all the strings ring. Any ways around that? Some specific hand position (especially index finger's and thumb) to make it unnecessary to use such force?
I have also had a similar issue with my fretting hand, my physio told me that because i have hyper-extensive thumbs the ligaments or soemthing in the thumb r weaker when the thumb isp ressed right back when pressure is applied, so I have been doing thum stretching exercises to help strengthen the ligaments and such in my thumb and wrist so less pressue has to be applied when holding barre chords etc...i dont know if this is the same problem but its possible thoughti d share it with you anyway just incase.
try adjusting the position of your barre, when done correctly it shouldnt require a whole lot of pressure to make all the strings ring out clearly - I find it works much better using more of the side of the finger instead of only the pads

place your finger flat on the string, then rotate your hand slightly towards the nut - use the area of your index finger that is now touching the strings to form the barre - give it a go and youll find a comfortable position im sure
I find it helpful to use my right forearm to push the body of the guitar towards me. This pushes the neck away from me, towards my fingers, and (most importantly) away from my thumb. It's easier on an acoustic guitar, but I'm sure you can do it on an electric with a little practice.

Seriously, there shouldn't be that much pressure on your thumb.
Yeah, shouldn't be that tiring, unless you've literally just started using them.

Two tips - use more of the bonier side of your finger (facing your thumb) to barre and you'll need less pressure.

Secondly, in an E major barre, you only need to exert pressure on the low E, and high E and B. You nearly never need to fret all six strings, so just be careful about how you channel force to the neck.
just push as hard as needed, no more.. just so hard the strings hit thefretboard, no harder and ofc practice.
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
i have the same problem

i got drunk one night and played maggot brain with my old band and i was getting sharp pains in my thumb towards my wrist

i was to drunk to care though hah
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
I posted this earlier in the acoustic forum but it might apply to you as well

Quote by Camdon
Um heres another tip... wheres your thumb? If it hangs over the top it may explain the lack of "power" youre exerting on the strings.

It should be in line with the middle of the back of the neck, so your fingers become perpindicular to the fretboard, instead of angled. You get more bang for your buck that way

If you find your thumb is going over the top of the neck a lot then watch the back of the neck as you play. Itll feel weird at first if youre used to resting the back of the neck in between the thumb and index (It feels natural at first but if you switch to the way I just mentioned, after a while itll feel better, and your wrist will be straight so you wont develop wrist isssues.) What I did on my piece of crap guitar was took a line of electrical tape and cut it so it was about the width of a pencil and ran it down the middle of the neck, then made sure my thumb was always on this spot.

Hope it helps

Please use tags for tabs....
Can you put up a picture of that, Camdon?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
you might just be pressing too hard. you should only use enough force to press the strings down and no more. if your hands are big enough you could try the hendrix style barre chords which is what i do. basically you use an F shape and use the thumb to fret the low E root note and mute the A string. for minor chords you take away the middle finger and barre with a flat index while keeping the ring on the octave and thumb on the root. that one is a little hard at first. and for the 5th string root barre chords, just use your index to fret the root, and the pinky to barre the other three notes. you dont need the top string to ring out so just mute it. some chords however still need the regular barre chord. like a root 5 minor chord ill usually use the regular way. sometimes i dont though and just make an a minor shape with my ring middle and pinky and then barre accross with my index without really moving my thumb too much.

thats how i got around that anyway. plus, it leaves me open to switch from lead to rhythm pretty quickly.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Can you put up a picture of that, Camdon?

Sure Im at work til 11 atlantic, (10PM eastern, 7 Pacific - ****ty shift I know), but ill take a few pics when I get home and upload them

Please use tags for tabs....
Quote by Serjem
just push as hard as needed, no more.. just so hard the strings hit thefretboard, no harder and ofc practice.

I think you mean hard enough to hit the frets. If the strings are touching the fretboard, you're pushing way too hard.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Camdon
Sure Im at work til 11 atlantic, (10PM eastern, 7 Pacific - ****ty shift I know), but ill take a few pics when I get home and upload them

Awesome, thanks.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
try wrapping your thumb over the neck to fret the 6th string and use your index finger to take care of the 1st and 2nd string. It will relieve pressure from your thumb for a while, and when you feel up to it again, start playing barre chords the regular way.

Many guitarists play barres thumb-over style. Frusciante, Hendrix, etc.