Any experience with these amps that anyone can share is welcome here!

I'm thinking of buying one, seeing as I A) want a valve amp after 3-4 years of solid-state, and B) I've heard that I can get great tone at bedroom levels with this thing. Is that claim true?

How does it sound with distortion pedals, such as a Satchurator?

Cheers guys!
Member of the 7-String + ERG Legion.
well Ive heard sound clips of it and im impressed.
the harlequin can easily do some classic rock, and hard rock but from the sound clips Ive heard it DEFINITELY wont do metal.

a small 5w amp like my little giant is as loud as a trumpet i could get bedroom volumes from it with the volume on half way (on the 5w setting) but i cant really crank it when im in my house.
I have no experience with the cornford but i read the specs and it says 6w class A amp so i think it could do bedroom volumes but not cranked.

If you're using a distortion pedal to get your tone then there are some more amps to look for and remember Tube distortion > pedal distortion.

i could help you find some better amps if you answer these questions
Budget???
Styles you play ???
new or used ???
closest MAJOR city??
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
well Ive heard sound clips of it and im impressed.
the harlequin can easily do some classic rock, and hard rock but from the sound clips Ive heard it DEFINITELY wont do metal.

a small 5w amp like my little giant is as loud as a trumpet i could get bedroom volumes from it with the volume on half way (on the 5w setting) but i cant really crank it when im in my house.
I have no experience with the cornford but i read the specs and it says 6w class A amp so i think it could do bedroom volumes but not cranked.

If you're using a distortion pedal to get your tone then there are some more amps to look for and remember Tube distortion > pedal distortion.

i could help you find some better amps if you answer these questions
Budget???
Styles you play ???
new or used ???
closest MAJOR city??

Budget: £500-£600
Styles: Stuff like Satriani, Guthrie Govan, all the way to David Gilmour. Classic rock too.
New preferably, but used is good too.
I'm in Cardiff at the moment, but when I get around to buying an amp I'll probably closer to Chester and Manchester. I'm guessing you're British yeah?

You say tube dist. > pedal dist., but Joe Satch uses his amp clean with the Satchurator in his live rig.

Cheers dude.
Quote by OldHairyOne
Styles: Stuff like Satriani, Guthrie Govan, all the way to David Gilmour. Classic rock too.
I'm in Cardiff at the moment, but when I get around to buying an amp I'll probably closer to Chester and Manchester. I'm guessing you're British yeah?

You say tube dist. > pedal dist., but Joe Satch uses his amp clean with the Satchurator in his live rig.

Cheers dude.

im not in england im filipino living in the US.
but you could search ebay on these amps can you......
and i know that joe uses peavey he has a signature amp and he uses the the lead chanel on it to get his signature distortion.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
im not in england im filipino living in the US.
but you could search ebay on these amps can you......
and i know that joe uses peavey he has a signature amp and he uses the the lead chanel on it to get his signature distortion.

Satriani uses the Satchurator a lot on tour. Also a Cornford would be great for what you play TS.
Quote by GeorgeWFletcher
Satriani uses the Satchurator a lot on tour. Also a Cornford would be great for what you play TS.

Thanks there

I thought he did :P

I'm sliding toward the Cornford.
Jesus.....
Joe's Satchurator is what... a year old? Satriani has been around long before that pedal. Before that pedal he used his amps lead channel alone.
Yeah WTF!!is a TAB Satch uses his signature pedal on the clean channel of a JSX for his most recent work. I'd imagine a Satchurator on the clean channel of the Harlequin would sound quite good.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
If you plan on running a distortion pedal you'll be seriously wasting such a great amps potential. If you plan on running a distortion pedal I'd just find a cheap clean amp. Now, if you want an amp with amazing onboard distortion then get the cornford.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
the peavey mini collosial should be worth a look, but cornfords are very good
Quote by OldHairyOne

Cheers dude.

assuming the carrera sounds similar to the harlequin (i've only tried the carrera), then it should be great for those tones. it doesn't have quite as much gain as some of the other cornfords i've tried, so it may need a slight boost for the highest-gain satch stuff (and i haven't tried the carrera with pedals so am not sure how it takes them), but i'd say, assuming you want low wattage, that it's probably the best amp i've tried for that stuff. it is a little on the modern side of things, though, so you'd want to try those gilmour and classic rock tones through it too.

I haven't tried the blackstar ht5, though- it's bound to be worth a try too for those tones.

bear in mind that for guthrie, satch etc., it's debatable how much power tube drive you want/need anyway. a lot of that liquid, shreddy lead type of tone is in the preamp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by Dave_Mc
assuming the carrera sounds similar to the harlequin (i've only tried the carrera), then it should be great for those tones. it doesn't have quite as much gain as some of the other cornfords i've tried, so it may need a slight boost for the highest-gain satch stuff (and i haven't tried the carrera with pedals so am not sure how it takes them), but i'd say, assuming you want low wattage, that it's probably the best amp i've tried for that stuff. it is a little on the modern side of things, though, so you'd want to try those gilmour and classic rock tones through it too.

I haven't tried the blackstar ht5, though- it's bound to be worth a try too for those tones.

bear in mind that for guthrie, satch etc., it's debatable how much power tube drive you want/need anyway. a lot of that liquid, shreddy lead type of tone is in the preamp.

Could you explain the pre-amp/power-amp thing to me? In terms of what you mean?

Cheers.
most high gain stuff generally uses pre-amp gain (i.e. volume below power tube clipping, but preamp gain control pretty high). don't get me wrong, generally it'll sound better turned up too, but turn it up too much and things can get a bit mushy. i guess, as an example, that for stuff like govan and satch, if i had a carrera, i'd probably run the master at about 4 or 5 to get a bit of extra tone and thickness from the power amp, but not so much that everything starts to sound a bit "mushy".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

EDIT: if you're willing to look at other brands, cornell and martamp might be worth a look too, both have low-wattage models which have variable wattage/power-scaling, though they're probably more on the vintage side of things. worth considering, anyway- i haven't tried martamp, by the way, just heard good things.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 7, 2009,