Hey gang... i'm in some hot-water right now my friends...

We got a gig on the 21st of Feb, and we just hired a new bassist a bit ago, we've had 2 practices this week... and we only got 3 of the 7 songs down... - and they don't sound too hot because the guy I hired ain't got anywhere near the chops of the old bassist I hired. We got through all of em, and they are still a little clunky. I mean, it is teaching him a lot, and I understand that for a guy whos never played in a band situation or really an intense amount of bass before, it is going to be hard for him to understand how to lock into the drums and the sound... Thing is, i'm sort of regretting it. - I mean - had I hired someone with like really nice chops, he could get the songs in a cinch... Thing is, this guy is a good friend of mine, and he comes up with these brilliant ideas, is enthusiastic as hell about the band, loves the music, and is willing to comprimise his general style with me for what we play (he's more of a Beatles nut). That and he does have transportation and very good connections.

Is it worth giving him the boot because he can't pickup songs real fast or have the chops to do the really intricate basslines I want?
or should we wait it out until he HAS those chops?

EDIT: I forgot to Mention - our band has 3 practices per week for 3 hours each usually.
Last edited by Highwaytohell at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by Highwaytohell
Hey gang... i'm in some hot-water right now my friends...

We got a gig on the 21st of Feb, and we just hired a new bassist a bit ago, we've had 2 practices this week... and we only got 3 of the 7 songs down... - and they don't sound too hot because the guy I hired ain't got anywhere near the chops of the old bassist I hired. We got through all of em, and they are still a little clunky. I mean, it is teaching him a lot, and I understand that for a guy whos never played in a band situation or really an intense amount of bass before, it is going to be hard for him to understand how to lock into the drums and the sound... Thing is, i'm sort of regretting it. - I mean - had I hired someone with like really nice chops, he could get the songs in a cinch... Thing is, this guy is a good friend of mine, and he comes up with these brilliant ideas, is enthusiastic as hell about the band, loves the music, and is willing to comprimise his general style with me for what we play (he's more of a Beatles nut). That and he does have transportation and very good connections.

Is it worth giving him the boot because he can't pickup songs real fast or have the chops to do the really intricate basslines I want?
or should we wait it out until he HAS those chops?

Maybe for your gig you could get a session bassist in?
why don't u just run through the songs with him yourself?
Just invite him over, sit down, run through the set list a few times (with cool refreshing beverages at hand) and not only will that help him get ready for the gig and the full band rehersals but will help bring his chops up to speed.
Give him time. From what you've said, he seems to be a good for your band. It's just he needs the time to learn how to be in a band. I mean you don't start (for example) a new job and just know exactly how the company works, their policies etc. Your bassist has never been in a band...help him settle in and all will be fine.
Quote by Myshadow46_2
Give him time. From what you've said, he seems to be a good for your band. It's just he needs the time to learn how to be in a band. I mean you don't start (for example) a new job and just know exactly how the company works, their policies etc. Your bassist has never been in a band...help him settle in and all will be fine.

+1

the bassist you've found is good. Give him time, let him adapt to your band. If you want to, sit him down and teach him all the songs yourself. Like the other guy said, you can have sodas and snacks to keep it from being too tiresome, and helping him out for 3 or so hours will guarantee a great bassist for as long as you need it.
Dude we have a gig on the same night!! lol

The guy will get it, just don't try to make him something he's not overnight. You could probably simplify some of the basslines for play songs slower if it's just technical stuff like that.

Now if he's having trouble becoming the rhythm section you might have to push him a bit into that.
I think this is a pretty obvious decision than. THe old bassist honestly wants back in because he sees what we've been doing - I've got to jam with my bassist tommorow and teach him the last 3 songs. he's getting his new bass this week! some sweet yamaha he got on discount - you know the ultra-light one. We only have 7 songs to play at this gig, and we got 3 of em down, so i've just got to help him master 3 more original tunes and Fat bottom girls and we're good to go!
Soooo what you're saying is that you booked a gig despite the fact that your band isn't 100% ready/stable?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Soooo what you're saying is that you booked a gig despite the fact that your band isn't 100% ready/stable?

I booked it before the original bassist left
Why don't you let your original bassist do half of the set?

We had a gig where our bassist couldn't make it 'cos he was on holiday and didn't think he could get back in time for the gig, so we got a friend of ours to learn the songs. Turns out our bassist got back in time, but we still let our friend play most of the set and our proper one did a few songs.
Funny Story Gang
My old bassist rejoined- And the other guy is on rhythm guitars which he's picking up ALOT better than bass seeing as he originally was a guitarist. Lmao
lol glad to hear things worked out for ya! I gotta say though, you guys seem mad cool about the whole "hes new to a band enviroment" thing and helping him along. When Im ready to jam with buds and start a band I hope the guys I play with are as nice about it as you guys are .
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
We got through all of em, and they are still a little clunky. I mean, it is teaching him a lot, and I understand that for a guy whos never played in a band situation or really an intense amount of bass before, it is going to be hard for him to understand how to lock into the drums and the sound...

So he's never played with a band before and is having trouble figuring out how to lock with actual people. That's natural and to be expected. Maybe give him some simpler basslines, like pumping out 8th note roots, until he figures out that the man on the drum throne is his god.

As you said, he's making progress slowly. Give him time.

Thing is, i'm sort of regretting it. - I mean - had I hired someone with like really nice chops, he could get the songs in a cinch...

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. But then you probably wouldn't have this...

Thing is, this guy is a good friend of mine, and he comes up with these brilliant ideas, is enthusiastic as hell about the band, loves the music, and is willing to comprimise his general style with me for what we play (he's more of a Beatles nut). That and he does have transportation and very good connections.

Skills can be improved and learned upon, but an dissonant asshole will forever be a dissonant asshole, and hurt the band far more then a temporarily lackluster player. In audition to getting along, he also contributes a fu*k load to your band via ideas, a car, and connections.

Keep him. It might be necessary to do some hardcore training montages ala Rocky, but keep him.
Quote by NorseGodofRock

Keep him. It might be necessary to do some hardcore training montages ala Rocky, but keep him.

Do I smell a gig simulation and **** pushups??.......... tenacious d?..........anybody??
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
YES! He must do **** pushups! That is the only way!
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Well I was gonna say;
a) You, shoulda cancelled the nearest gigs when your bassist left.
b) The new bassist sounds like he'll eventualy make a damn good musician, keep him.
c) If it's now too late to cancel, see if the ex bassist will fill in.

But that'd all be a bit pointless now.
the story changes every day. We were getting a little annoyed with him complaining at practice, blaming his personal life for a lot of playing problems, although, htis was only 2 days after we stuck him back on rhythm guitar. The band met to give him some advice, and he flipped the **** on our bassist like, he was incredibly rude, we believe this is due to him being replaced and stuck to rhythm guitars. He also said some things that could be regarded by many as arrogant and to be honest, dick. we were able to work out the situation, by having him start playing with us following the gig

He has this mentality that once he gets up to par he wants a lead role , as he will become a contributing songwriter and vocalist. He than remarked that if he left, to beware as we would have lost alot. yeah...

We want to see this pan out for a little. If it doesnt work though... it doesn't work
Damn, move to a different cuty and start over lol, this is too much bull****. He sounds really arrogant and it seems he plans on taking over your band lol. Maybe to appease him and calm the **** winds you could not label people as "lead" and "rhythm" players but rather co-guitarists. In a nice way you could say when he gets his chops up he can take some solos too? Just brainstormin here but its a ****ty situation lol.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
I actually think that if he were to "get up to par", he should get a role in the band. Why not?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud