Page 1 of 2
Hey

So, here's another "Suggest me an amp" thread, but I've got some fairly tough conditions for you to meet:
- Around £200 GBP at max...
- Probably not a stack, I simply cant fit one into my room!
- 15 - 30 Watts - Just a practice amp really.
- Works well with a BOSS ML-2 Metal Core Pedal - Im looking for pretty crushing tone...
- Does cleans well enough too, I play a fair variety of stuff, But mostly Metal.

So, Thanks for reading, and Good Luck
Roland Cube 60
Peavey Bandit

EDIT: and that pedal sounds like monkey poo. do like they do and fling it.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by ||-MARKO-||
Hey

So, here's another "Suggest me an amp" thread, but I've got some fairly tough conditions for you to meet:
- Works well with a BOSS ML-2 Metal Core Pedal - Im looking for pretty crushing tone...
- Does cleans well enough too, I play a fair variety of stuff, But mostly Metal.

Look into Peavey Vypyr 30 and Roland Cube 30x and you wont need the metal core pedal
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
The boss metalcore is an awful pedal

Sell it and get a better amp

But for that much? used laney AOR if you get really lucky
Roland Cube 60
Roland Cube 60 and ditch the pedal.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Metal Core pedal kicks ass, my favourite distortion setting through my Vyper is a Metal Core pedal and an EQ through the Clean Twin channel, there's nothing wrong with it, haters.

Cube 60, Vyper 30/75.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
Metal Core pedal kicks ass, my favourite distortion setting through my Vyper is a Metal Core pedal and an EQ through the Clean Twin channel, there's nothing wrong with it, haters.

Cube 60, Vyper 30/75.

Don't judge me.
Quote by slickerthnsleek

Cube 60, Vyper 30/75.

PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Feb 7, 2009,
Hey, bite me.

It produces a certain tone that the amp won't produce on its own. Hardly a crime. Sometimes I'll play through the red Rec model, sometimes I'll use the 6505... some songs, I want something a bit heavier and I'll use that, it works just fine. Maybe you should actually try it and listen to it before you bag it.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
Hey, bite me.

It produces a certain tone that the amp won't produce on its own. Hardly a crime. Sometimes I'll play through the red Rec model, sometimes I'll use the 6505... some songs, I want something a bit heavier and I'll use that, it works just fine. Maybe you should actually try it and listen to it before you bag it.

I'm actually not much of a biter. Women tend not to like that.
See if you can follow these maths: Its a sh*t pedal. No matter how you use a sh*t pedal, it sounds like sh*t.

Don't judge me.
Really? They don't, huh?
Shouldn't generalise, I know plenty that do. Just a tip for you.
But that's off topic.

It isn't a sh*t pedal. Just because YOU don't like it, doesn't mean it's sh*t.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
Really? They don't, huh?
Shouldn't generalise, I know plenty that do. Just a tip for you.
But that's off topic.

It isn't a sh*t pedal. Just because YOU don't like it, doesn't mean it's sh*t.

Right, what about the rest of the hearing world?

Don't judge me.
anything from boss except the higher end (well circuited) pedals....SUCK!!

deal with it....you epic fail-er....those modeling amps (cube and viper) have way better distortion than the pathetic boss metalcore/metalzone/whatever name they come up with next for a SUPER tEh bRoOtAlZ piece of crap digital distortion pedal.
Elitist f*cks.

I'll grant you, I don't like the Metal Zone or many of the other lower end distortion pedals that BOSS make, but I like the Metal Core. I don't particularly think that warrants the kind of performance we're getting from you here.
Quote by ||-MARKO-||
Im looking for pretty crushing tone...

Marshall MG series.
Quote by Horlicks
Marshall MG series.

yeha you might as well an mg if you re gonna keep that boss anyways..

UBER bRoOtAlZ PeDaLz uNd UBER bRoOtAlZ AmPz = UBER bRoOtAlZ cRuShInG tOnE!!!!

says zakk wylde....now would zakk wylde lie to YOU?
I don't think I'll ever understand why people post what amp threads for practice amps.

It's a practice amp.

1. no one but you is likely to hear it
2. budget is usually under 300 dollars.

It's a damned practice amp. If you're going to use a pedal, all you need is a relatively clean channel, and that's it.

Quote by theoreticmusic
I'm actually not much of a biter. Women tend not to like that.

You my friend, have been with the wrong women.

TS - Cubes, Vypyrs, Vox, as stated. You decide from there.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
You my friend, have been with the wrong women.

This is the truth.

Vampire complex ftw
Quote by imgooley
This is the truth.

Vampire complex ftw

It's just that I've never been able to work out conjugal visits....

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
It's just that I've never been able to work out conjugal visits....

That boss pedal is ~generally~ thought of as having a thin tone, which most of UG hate. To be honest though, most of UG hates what the rest of UG hates.
The rest of UG also hates scooping your mids, and are so blindly following this thought (without making their own opinions) that if you put your mids down below half way, they automatically assume it sounds bad (forget it if you have an amp or pedal with a natural mid boost that you're compensating for).
Now that we're done with UG, on to metal music itself.
Most metal bands tend to scoop the mids ( and i mean ~really~ scoop them) to get the tone they get. Pair that with droning guitars, big stacks with heavy bass response, tuning low and/or playing high pinch harmonics, and you have F**KIN METAL!!!!!!

Boss made pedals to try and emulate these metal sounds, high gain, scooped mids.
The influential part of UG hates scooped mids, most of UG hates what the rest of UG hates.
UG hates boss metal pedals...............
no they dont...they use graphic eqs and dip out .5 to 1kHz range a little till it tighens up and loses that british bite...big deal that has almost no effect on the audibility of your tone unless you scoop those frequencies more than 5-6dB. and most bands now are mid-low mid heavy (5150 anyone?) so yeah....no
Quote by georgakis187
no they dont...they use graphic eqs and dip out .5 to 1kHz range a little till it tighens up and loses that british bite...big deal that has almost no effect on the audibility of your tone unless you scoop those frequencies more than 5-6dB. and most bands now are mid-low mid heavy (5150 anyone?) so yeah....no

No, go back and listen to the bands that were playing back when boss introduced those pedals.
Quote by _Sanitarium_
No, go back and listen to the bands that were playing back when boss introduced those pedals.

Kirk Windstein of Down used a Metalzone boosted RG100ES, and his sound wasn't scooped.

Scooped=/=bad but scooped also =/=metal.
Quote by imgooley
Kirk Windstein of Down used a Metalzone boosted RG100ES, and his sound wasn't scooped.

Scooped=/=bad but scooped also =/=metal.

And 1 =/= All
Quote by _Sanitarium_
And 1 =/= All

I was using that as an example.

Most of the metal bands I listen to don't have a scooped tone.

A few of them use metal pedals.

I am not saying that scooping mids is a bad thing, but to say that scooping mids is the way to get a metal tone is also false.
Quote by _Sanitarium_
That boss pedal is ~generally~ thought of as having a thin tone, which most of UG hate. To be honest though, most of UG hates what the rest of UG hates.
The rest of UG also hates scooping your mids, and are so blindly following this thought (without making their own opinions) that if you put your mids down below half way, they automatically assume it sounds bad (forget it if you have an amp or pedal with a natural mid boost that you're compensating for).
Now that we're done with UG, on to metal music itself.
Most metal bands tend to scoop the mids ( and i mean ~really~ scoop them) to get the tone they get. Pair that with droning guitars, big stacks with heavy bass response, tuning low and/or playing high pinch harmonics, and you have F**KIN METAL!!!!!!

Boss made pedals to try and emulate these metal sounds, high gain, scooped mids.
The influential part of UG hates scooped mids, most of UG hates what the rest of UG hates.
UG hates boss metal pedals...............

I have to agree with the "compensating for the natural EQ" argument. For example, the Peavey 5150/6505 is REALLY middy. This means you can still cut through if you scoop the mids. I think that on amps that don't have the gigantic mid boost, though, scooping mids makes it sound like nothing. Completely subjective, it just sounds hollow to me.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Alright so It looks like I need a new amp and or pedal... Id kinda like to have the distortion on a footswtich, whether that means having the distortion in a better pedal or finding an amp that can be controlled by footswitch, since my band does a fair bit of switching between cleans and distorted tones...

So, loads of you seem to have suggested the Vypyr, and If I remember that can be controlled on a separate footswitch - Ill go check one out in the next day or so probably.
most amps have footswitches to select between a clean and a dirty channel...trust me one day you ll look back on yourself and the ****ty tone you get now from your boss metalcore and you ll try to educate newer players in the same way.
There is no amp that would sound good with that pedal.

Sell the pedal buy a Vypyr 30.

Everybody wins!

(Except the poor fucker who buys the pedal )
Don't go sell the pedal just because a forum full of sheep tell you it's bad. If you like it, keep it.
Half the people on here only have certain opinions because they'll get ridiculed otherwise, as you saw happen to me on the previous page, I just don't care.

You should look at the Vypyr, but don't go out thinking you *need* to get rid of that pedal like it's going to explode.
Don't go keep the pedal just because a single individual tells you it's good. If you like tone, toss it.
Half the people on here only have certain opinions because they'll get ridiculed otherwise, but the other half actually knows what they're talking about and actually does the ridiculing, as you saw happen to that other guy on the previous page, he just don't care.

You should look at the Vypyr, but go out thinking you *need* to get rid of that pedal because it's going to make your head explode.

Don't judge me.
Quote by ||-MARKO-||
Hey

all you need right there.

"The overdrive is Crushing"

But without being a completely useless post, i'd say to look into the Cube30 or the peavey vypyr. if you're really just practicing, even a POD XT or somethign similar with a set of headphones works awesome too.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Feb 8, 2009,
Quote by theoreticmusic
Don't go keep the pedal just because a single individual tells you it's good. If you like tone, toss it.
Half the people on here only have certain opinions because they'll get ridiculed otherwise, but the other half actually knows what they're talking about and actually does the ridiculing, as you saw happen to that other guy on the previous page, he just don't care.

You should look at the Vypyr, but go out thinking you *need* to get rid of that pedal because it's going to make your head explode.

I don't know whether to laugh or call you mean, nasty names and go wish bad things upon you.

You can get your point across without being a tool, you know that right?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
I don't know whether to laugh or call you mean, nasty names and go wish bad things upon you.

You can get your point across without being a tool, you know that right?

Actually, I apparently can't, given that you didn't get it in the previous pages.

Don't judge me.
No, all I read was 'blah blah blah I'm an ignorant f*ck who can't present his opinion without being an asshole'.

'It's a sh*t pedal' (your words) isn't a real argument, it's moreso a lack of one. If it sounds muddy or thin or something to you, then say so, no one is telling you to like it. Given the TS already owns one, and is looking for an amp that works with it, I bet it's safe to say that he actually LIKES the pedal. Stating your problem with the pedal and letting them decide for themself would be much more useful. How is saying 'It's a sh*t pedal' helpful? And the amusing thing is, we both suggested the exact same amp, yet you're still having a go.

Present your reasons, I present mine, and the population of UG log off this morning thinking you're a decent, helpful person rather than a sarcastic, arrogant waste of bandwidth.

I just realised that I'm wasting time trying to reason with you here, as I'll come back in 5 minutes and there will be some smartass remark waiting for me, so I'll just leave it here.
Page 1 of 2