ok, im gunna go straight to the point. heres my problem:

im currently the lead guitarist of my band and my best friend is the rhythm guitarist.
the problem is my friend is not that good, hes good enough to be a rhythm guitarist but to a certain level. also he can b annoying sumtimes but im kinda used to it cus hes always with me.

Our drummer really doesnt like him. he usually tells me to come practice at his house without my friend. Im also really good friends with him.

Our singer is also friends with the rhythm guitarist but i talked to him and he said he would still sing for us if we kicked my friend out of the band.

ok, so weve had practices without my friend and i have no problem doing that.

so the problem is, is there a way to kick my friend out of the band without losing him as a friend cus im also really close to his family and hes close to mine. i will easily b able to get a new guitarist so should i just tell him hes out of the band or should we just have practices without him and just do that till he thinks the band is over and he just forgets bout it?

please help

thanks
GEAR:
Gibson SG
Traynor YCV40T
Digitech Grunge
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Korg pitchblack pedal tuner
EXH Metal Muff
Sennheiser wireless system
Gear soon gettin:
Gibson Les Paul Jr.
Boss ce-2
Let him keep playing. What's the harm? Chances are, you could all use a little improving. By the time you all get better, he will have improved, too. Otherwise, you're probably going to lose your friend. Is it worth losing a friend over?
Take a break from the band and work individually and get him to improve. A torn band won't succeed so I wouldn't continue like that.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Unless you're in a successful position as a band and can outplay anyone you come across, you've really got no business telling someone else that they're not good enough for you. It doesn't seem like he's holding you all back, of you wouldn't have invited him to join in the first place. I say take KG6's advice - let him keep going with you guys. If you're actually more talented than he is at the moment, that might be the driving force that he uses to drastically improve.

Put yourself in his shoes - would you want someone to just boot you out because you're not up to snuff at the second? Maybe just let him know that you guys want to progress further as a band, so you ALL need to brush up on your chops and start advancing a bit quicker. It essentially does the same thing to get him to improve, but it doesn't make him feel like he's screwing everyone over.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
lxxx I wish I could help but I'm the rhythm guy wanting to kick my lead out. He never texts, calls, or shows up for practice! The other 3 of us have made 3 songs without him, now!

The other problem is my drummer is my brother who isn't aloud to come here and play his drums cause he don't get along with my mom and her boyfriend.

My singer is 24 and me and him are real close.

However, my drummer/brother got mad we played hs drums and told my Dad that me and my drummer were smoking in the basement
I'm just going to blindly assume that since you have a wah pedal that you overkill it in your position of lead guitarist. So i think you should just switch roles with each other, maybe he's a crazy lead player?
Last edited by marko'd at Feb 7, 2009,
i forgot to mention my last option that most of u said which is just let him improve because i am currently helping him with that by giving him some lessons
GEAR:
Gibson SG
Traynor YCV40T
Digitech Grunge
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
EXH Metal Muff
Gear soon gettin:
Gibson Les Paul Jr.
Boss ce-2
I really think you've answered your own question. If your families are that close and you're not ready to start gigging yet, keep working on tightening your sound and it'll fall into place. Check the egos and attitudes and focus on the music. That's for your drummer.

Everyone gave some pretty good advice on this one.
Quote by KG6_Steven

Everyone gave some pretty good advice on this one.

yes, everyone did give me good advice.

thanks everyone
GEAR:
Gibson SG
Traynor YCV40T
Digitech Grunge
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
EXH Metal Muff
Gear soon gettin:
Gibson Les Paul Jr.