Hi everyone,

I'm planning to buy a new electric-acoustic guitar on a $500-$800 budget.

Any recommandations ? Martin, Seagull, Ovation, Taylor, Takamine ?

On ovations, do they sound alright "unplugged" because I heard they were only good "plugged in" ... As I never got the chance to play one...

Thanks
Ovations aren't that bad to be fair... My ex has one and I liked the sound when it was unplugged with acoustic strings, but she whacked some super slinky's on and it sounded a bit rubbish after.

For your budget, I'd recommend playing some mid to top end of the range Crafter models, I've had three over the years and they sound pretty good.

I'm not sure if you'll get much electro-acoustic Taylor/Martin/Ovation/Takamine for your money?

I may be wronnnngggg.
For another $400, you can get a good Takamine Koa. My son owns one and I like the sound, of course I like Takamine - although I don't own one. My wife owns a nice E series Takamine in ebony, which will cost you about $800. That same price will get you a 100 or 200 series Taylor. I've got a Taylor 314CE and I wouldn't buy anything less than a 300 series. Make sure you like the composite fiber bowl on the Ovation guitars. I'm not crazy about it, but some are. I also don't like their tone. You may have a problem finding a good Martin for that price, just like Taylor. I prefer solid wood and for that price, you're looking at some laminate. Breedlove and Seagull are also nice guitars, but at that price, you're looking at some laminate wood.
From your price range, my top two picks are the Seagull Maritime Mini Jumbo Spruce top and the Epiphone Masterbilt series guitars.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
What about Martin DCX series ? They're low-end martins but still martins so... Anyone tried it yet ?
Uh... what the hells wrong with Ovation, people? I picked up one for $500 today and it sure sounds better than the $800 ibanez and $1000 yamaha in the guitar shop...

Unplugged it sounds great, but I admit it's nicer when plugged in. But when it is plugged in it will not disappoint...

I wonder how much better the higher end ovations are...
I would try to avoid Martins and Taylors in this price range. Taylors, whlie being well built guitars, are expensive for the materials you get. Martins are made with HPL, which is Martin's special laminate made of sawdust and glue and then baked into grey sheets. They then put stickers on the HPL to make it look like wood.

As for Ovations... tone is a person thing. They sound great plugged in, but to a large number of people in the acoustic community, they're just lacking the right tone that an acoustic guitar should have(myself included).

This is all, of course, personal opinion. So take it for what it's worth.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
As you can see, your gonna get a different answer from eveyone. The best thing you can do is go to guitar store and try all the models in your price range. Which ever one feels and sounds good to you should be your choice, no matter the model. Guitars are like shoes, you shouldn't buy any until you try them on.
Quote by bigblue72
As you can see, your gonna get a different answer from eveyone. The best thing you can do is go to guitar store and try all the models in your price range. Which ever one feels and sounds good to you should be your choice, no matter the model. Guitars are like shoes, you shouldn't buy any until you try them on.

Yes, I know that but my local stores only sell low end acoustic guitars so I hardly get the chance to try better ones, that's why I ask some recommandations here first.

Thanks to everyone btw