Hi,

I'm looking at my upcoming birthday, talked to the folks abit about what I wanted to get, and they offered me €300 to spend on my guitar setup. I've got a Fender Strat (further details unknown, got it off a coworker of my dad's who hadn't used it in ages) and a Fender Super Champ XD amp to go with it (recently bought so I doubt I'd replace it). Looks like the guitar is fully factory-default, no customizations or anything.

Since I got it in a rather neglected state, I was thinking about giving the guitar some sort of treatment, you know, have it (since I'm not very technical myself) checked up, cleaned out, etc. Also I was thinking about getting a new set of pickups, since I'm not entirely happy about the current sound of my guitar. Like something from this list. I don't know if those pickups differ much from standard strat ones, and for that matter I don't even know what standard strat ones are..

Would either of the above be something worth doing? Or any other suggestions?
Last edited by Azunaii at Feb 7, 2009,
A complete set-up and beauty treatment (clean-up) are absolutely always worth it ... the upgrades should come later. Go with a nice, inexpensive tube/valve amp first. This way, you can explore some of the real potential of your Strat.

The Super Champ is actually a tube amp, though I'm not sure if with all the different voicings it has it's really called a full amp or some other term I'm not familiar with heh.

But thanks for the suggestion! I'm thinking of going over to the store, explaining how I got the strat and that I've no idea what it's current state is. And then ask if they can give it a treatment

Any of you able to assess what model it is by just looking at it, by any chance? :
Pic of the headstock?
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
The Model is Stratocaster

Does it have a serial number?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by bornfidelity
The Model is Stratocaster

Does it have a serial number?

Looked all over for serials, all it has is part numbers on the headstock. Friend of mine told me the serial might be behind where the neck meets the body. Like, underneath.

All it says on the headstock is:

"Fender Stratocaster
with synchronised tremolo
PAT" and then some numbers in the format x.xxx.xxx, 3 times
Further up top it says "Offset Contour Body".
Quote by Ippon
A complete set-up and beauty treatment (clean-up) are absolutely always worth it ... the upgrades should come later. Go with a nice, inexpensive tube/valve amp first. This way, you can explore some of the real potential of your Strat.

I agree.

Apart from what you said about the amp. The Fender Super Champ XD amp is fine!!

Edit - That strat looks awesome. I'd love to know what those pick ups are? Might just be aged covers though.

Post the numbers you listed as x's so we can look it up!
Last edited by Jackolas at Feb 7, 2009,
Super champ is win. Although in retrospect I would rather have saved up for an AC15...
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Quote by Ippon
Double post FTW!!!!

Also, the logo looks like a '50s style ... is the neck profile V-shaped? If it is, '57 RI is a pretty safe bet.

It's definetly a 50, if your guess is a 57 RI i'd believe it.
My gear:

Memphis les paul (fixin it up as we speak!)
Schecter C1 plus
Ibanez RX 240 (been sold)
Peavey envoy 110 (Pretty dang good!)
Some washburn acoustic...
Quote by Greenwood991
Super champ is win. Although in retrospect I would rather have saved up for an AC15...

I think you made the right decision.
Quote by Jackolas
I agree.

Apart from what you said about the amp. The Fender Super Champ XD amp is fine!!

Edit - That strat looks awesome. I'd love to know what those pick ups are? Might just be aged covers though.

Post the numbers you listed as x's so we can look it up!

I'd tell you if I knew, I'm very curious myself =)

Numbers: 2.573.254 - 2.741.146 - 2.960.900

Looked on the Fender website but these types of numbers don't appear to be serials.

Not sure what you mean by Neck Profile though..

EDIT: If you mean the backside of the neck where it hits the body (only part I could find on it that was V-shaped lol), then yeah that's V-shaped.
Last edited by Azunaii at Feb 8, 2009,