I tried the new MG30FX and here's what i thought:

I was actually pleasantly surprised. The cleans are pretty much the same, a bit less brittle sounding, and kinda smoother and deeper. Really quite good for a budget solid state. Crunch was usable, though still a bit harsh and tinny sounding, but if you turn up the bass and mids and roll off the treble a bit it's also capable of getting some decent enough tones - It's actually majorly improved when you roll down the gain, compared to the old MGs - previously, if you rolled down the gain, you'd just get a much thinner, crappier distorted sound, however, on the new model, it cleans up nicely as you turn down the gain allowing you to get some nice clear crunchy sounds, good for rhythm playing. The overdrive channels were just basically slightly softer versions of the crunch channel, but still, reasonably usable, although i thought overdrive 2 (with the overdrive light red) was a pile of wank still, due to having just too much gain for that kind of voicing. Higher up the gain knob on this setting it tended to have the dreaded "MG-itis" which resulted in every single movement of your hand across the string screeching through the speaker at exactly the same level as everything else, making the over-all sound very messy much like the old MGs.

Advice: Do not scoop the mids on this amp - you literally lose all clarity and definition and get drowned in a horrible muddy tone - keep your mids high, as it's a very mid-voiced amplifier and it actually sounds worse with scooped mids than the previous MGs did!

The FX were a little better, although i think the minimum setting for each effect is a bit too "wet" for my liking - that was kinda disappointing.

I'm not sure how it'd take being cranked, as the 30 watter was the only model they had, but for a practice amp, it's really not bad, i actually liked some of the tones i could get out of it and almost wanted to buy it - except, unfortunately, it's a bit pricey for what it is. I'd gladly pay about £100 for it, but not £170

tl;dr - I tried the new marshall MG series for about 2 hours today and it's not actually too bad of an amp, it's still overpriced though.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
amen brotha................
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by imicius
The question is, does it still have CRUSHING OVERDRIVE?

Yes, it's difficult to explain but it's kinda the same "CRUSHING" tone, but somehow, the amp has a much nicer "feel", and the character of the distortion is less buzzy and a little more organic sounding. Don't think this is me saying it's a great amp though - it's just 'not bad', and it's really nothing special so i don't want to start a "MG4 series is awesome!!" bandwagon (because it's not 'awesome'), but i'm not ashamed to admit that i liked it.

Also, it's too new for anyone to be able to comment on the reliability. I know MGs are notorious for breaking down, but i have a feeling that marshall have listened to the recent saturation of complaints about the previous models.

anyone else tried one yet?
Rig Winter 2017:

Being a Canadian, I'm pretty sure that they aren't available here yet. I'll try one asap when they arrive, though!

How much do they cost?
http://www.andertons.co.uk/Products/Products.asp?Keyword=marshall+MG4&type=search&searchclause=all this should help a bit with the pricing - in the shop i tried it in the 30 watter was £170, but it's £152 here, which isn't too bad i guess - still, a lot of the cost is the marshall logo, i feel.
Rig Winter 2017:

The question is, can annoying n00bs who signed up in 2007/8 and think they know all about gear but don't mock it?
Quote by nightraven
there's gonna be a lot of prejudice against this one...

See my post above.
Quote by nightraven
there's gonna be a lot of prejudice against this one...

yeah, that's what i was thinking - "it's still an MG" and stuff. That's exactly what happened with the spider valve, "but it's still a spider".

Unless the higher wattage models are actually better this time (which i doubt) i still think anything above the 30FX is very overpriced. But if i was looking for a solid state practice amp, i'd actually consider the MG series now.
Rig Winter 2017:

Wow, they may not be as bad as I thought...will have to try one out I suppose.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54