I bought an acoustic electric a couple of months ago and am totally in love with it. When i bought it went ahead and changed the strings to D'addario EXP Light Bronze Phosphor and kept it in Drop Db tuning. This didn't cause any problems up until i changed the strings again last month (same type of strings). Now i started getting fret buzz on the 2nd and 3rd fret on my A and D string. I went ahead and adjusted the truss rod and got rid of the buzz. Just a couple of days ago i realized i'm now getting fret buzz when i play the high E string on the 13th fret where it meets the body. I tried adjusting the truss rod again but it's not really helping.

What do you think might be the problem?

EDIT: The fret buzz happens on almost all the strings at those frets (12 & 13) but most noticeable on the high E.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Feb 7, 2009,
*bump*

Could this be to lack of humidity? I wasn't too aware about that up until now. Also, it's a Laguna LG4CE BUB (solid bubinga wood).

yup, look down the neck of the guitar. I bet it humps up right where it meets the body. Try humidifying it for a week or so and see if it helps. I bet it will. Mine is doing the same thing, and I cant get rid of it. So i am trying to humidify it and hope it straightens back out.
I'm pretty sure it's a humidity issue. I've experienced minor fret buzz on my Takamine that has only occurred around this time of year. I've never touched the truss rod, and sure enough the problem would correct itself after using the humidifier. I live in NJ and it's a non-issue from April-November. Good luck with it.
I think it could also be a few other things

If its the neck get a humidifer and a hercules stand, the weight of the guitar will straighten it out.

Also take it to a shop and have them set your bridge and your intunation, that could also be it

Please use tags for tabs....
The neck seems pretty straight and even. What i think is weird is that it happened right AFTER changing the strings.

Quote by evening_crow
The neck seems pretty straight and even. What i think is weird is that it happened right AFTER changing the strings.

you may already know this, but change one string at a time.
You want tension to stay.

also new strings are buzzier.
Quote by ILoveGuitar07
you may already know this, but change one string at a time.
You want tension to stay.

also new strings are buzzier.

I do change them one at a time.

Quote by Camdon
I think it could also be a few other things

If its the neck get a humidifer and a hercules stand, the weight of the guitar will straighten it out.

Also take it to a shop and have them set your bridge and your intunation, that could also be it

Almost everything you said is wrong. The weight of the guitar WILL NOT straighten out a neck. Intonation WILL NOT fix a buzzing guitar.
Humidity is more than likely the issue, and getting a setup may or may not help.
Quote by evening_crow
I do change them one at a time.

Good, keep doing that if you want, although changing them all out at once isn't going to cause this problem. First off, a little lesson in neck geometry and truss rods. The truss rod can't do a thing for the neck above the 12th or so fret area, it's not made to. Nor can it effect the angle of the headstock or 1st fret. It will effect the middle area, about the 6th fret, however, and lessens as you go out from there in both directions.
If you've allowed the guitar to dry out, as it seems so many others have this winter, irregardless of the warnings/tips in these threads, then you need to get more moisture back into that wood. You already said it's all solid wood. So treat it as such and humidify. If there's any bellying up of the wood directly behind the bridge, or sharp fret ends on the sides of the neck, then you've allowed the wood to dry out to the point that you are now experiencing fret buzz. Luckily, it should be fixable, but please, don't go on like you have been thinking that it's the truss rod that will cure it. It's not a cure-all for a guitar. It is a fine tuning adjustment, but one that should only ever need to be tweaked a couple times of year at most. I never need to adjust mine on my Alverez since I maintain the whole house humidity in the winter, and run A/C in the summer.
I also use a whole house humidifier, but I think with the guitars in the basement they still get abit dry. I havnt noticed a problem with my electric, but the acoustic started to do a few funny things, so I made a humidifier and affixed it to the sound hole.
Quote by LeftyDave
Almost everything you said is wrong. The weight of the guitar WILL NOT straighten out a neck. Intonation WILL NOT fix a buzzing guitar.
Humidity is more than likely the issue, and getting a setup may or may not help.

let me rephrase. a hercules will help it stay straight, not a 100% guarantee, and aftert the neck is bent it wont remedy it, sorry I was half asleep when I posted and I did word it badly...

And yea It may be the bridge if his action is high. If he has one of the bridges that you loop strings around (Not sure what theyre called, the ones that dont have bridge nuts) and the plastic piece is too wide it could raise his strings too high, because I encountered this problem on my old classical

Also to the TS, have you stretched your strings yet? Or are they still fresh? It "may" go away after you play it for a while and the strings "loosen up". I know my guitars sound kinda buzzy and twangy when I first change my strings

Last edited by Camdon at Feb 8, 2009,
The thing is that it was perfectly fine till after i changed the strings for the second time. When i did it i started getting buzz on two strings on the 2-4th frets and fixed it by adjusting the truss rod. After that it was fine, but about 2 weeks later i started to get buzz on the 13-14th frets. I think it MIGHT be a humidity issue since that started after i brought it in two work every day. Most likely the heat system in hear affected it since it tends to be a lot stronger than the one at my house.

So far i've started humidifying it a bit with a home-made humidifier (i haven't had time to buy one since i work at nights and sleep during the day).

you could try bending your strings a crapload to stretch em out. Im thinking it could possibly have been because the old strings were like I guess you could say "broken in". If its humidity it shouldve done it with the old ones too...

Quote by Camdon
you could try bending your strings a crapload to stretch em out. Im thinking it could possibly have been because the old strings were like I guess you could say "broken in". If its humidity it shouldve done it with the old ones too...

Well i wasn't bringing it in to work when it had the old strings.... maybe it really was the humidity... the heater in here's pretty strong and i usually have it out of its case when i'm at work.