Hi,

I'm in the process of thinking about building a guitar based on the Fender Jaguar, I'm not going for a totally faithful reconstruction however, I do want it to look pretty accurate. I'm got a template for the body, however, I'm gonna cheat with the neck and buy one, I'm sort of getting confused about the type of neck that I can bolt on. I'm probably looking at a strat style neck, however, how do I know what the length between bridge and top nut should be, any ideas on this? Can I just go for the same length as a standard strat?

Thrench
The people you buy the neck from should provide you with the scale length, if not measure from the fretboard edge of the nut to the 12 fret and double it.

You can use any scale length you want.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
jaguars are short scale so if your are going to buy a strat neck it wont work
I suggest to build a jazzmaster since its the same scale as a strat and just put a jaguar pickguard

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Quote by Nagashiro
jaguars are short scale so if your are going to buy a strat neck it wont work
I suggest to build a jazzmaster since its the same scale as a strat and just put a jaguar pickguard

Out of interest when you say it won't work is this due to the bridge position, would moving the bridge forward slightly solve the problem, I guess that that would have a knock on effect with the pup positions. I'm not too concerned whether the final build sounds like the jag, was the jazzmaster just a jag with a longer neck?
The Jazzmaster is a Jag with a longer scale length, and different electronics and pickguard.

I'm thinking a Jaguar pickguard will be too small for a Jazzmaster, but IDK...
Quote by Mitchell?
The Jazzmaster is a Jag with a longer scale length, and different electronics and pickguard.

I'm thinking a Jaguar pickguard will be too small for a Jazzmaster, but IDK...

You are correct mitchell, the Jag does have same basic shape as the jazzmaster but there are slight body diffences in the shape and the Jag is a short scale, and thats great if you have smaller hands, pretty much the only neck you could use is a Mustang, bronco, duo-sonic, or Jag neck. Also the Jag had a slight neck angle built into the neck pocket, keep that in mind.

I'm actually building a Jag style guitar at the moment, here is a pic.
Oh and take a look at this, this is a neat take on the Jazzmaster, I'm tempted to try it sometime soon, I love the split pickguard!

If you are building the body then it really doesnt matter what scale length you use, unless you actually want to match the jaguar scale length for your build.

Pick a neck with the scale length you desire, and design the body around that.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
I just had a look at your pics of the RG first build and noticed that you mentioned melyvin Hiscocks book. Weirdly I sit next to his brother at work........ mmmh maybe I can blag a freebie from him. How do you rate the book for building something not quite off the shelf?
You sit next to melvyns brother at work?!?! Thats awesome!

The book is great, if you dont know anything about guitars it wont leave you confused it gives you a good intro into building a few different instruments, will take you through it step by step its great for getting into building, get your self a copy and read it.

also couldnt you just ask melvyn for some help?

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
God that split pickguard looks hot, I was originally thinking about putting everything in from behind but that might have changed my mind.

Thrench
Where did you get the template. Doin one of these builds 2, what are the dimensions for the trem cavity ? cheers