Page 1 of 2
What do you think of the dread guitar hero and its effects to the guitarist?

This should get rather interesting..
Well it spawns a lot of unnecessary threads on UG, that's for sure.
It makes people think that music can only be good if it is complicated, it makes people think Dragonforce is good, and it also makes people think that in order to play song you need exact note timing or else the note won't be played.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Inspired for me to play in the first place, and I'm not ashamed to admit that.
Granted that people that are influenced by it, only about 1 out of 10 people probably continue to play guitar after 3 months, but isn't it like that with people begining to play guitar anyways. Most people don't have the attention span, personal motivation, or work ethic to keep it up. Guitar Hero should be commended for getting so many people to become interested in it in the first place. Even if only 1 out of 100 people were influenced to play by it, and only 1 out of a hundred of those continued and became great at it, and only 1 out of 100 of those made it big? Then guitar hero did it's job
Last edited by bdof at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by tmfiore
It makes people think that music can only be good if it is complicated, it makes people think Dragonforce is good, and it also makes people think that in order to play song you need exact note timing or else the note won't be played.

Haha, yea, your sitting there playing, you strum a note off beat, and instead of just playing the note, your amp goes DUNK
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
I think it should make absolutely no difference at all except maybe a better sense of timing and rhythm.

Playing guitar hero won't make you better or worse at electric/acoustic guitar, it's pointless to argue about something that's been argued about for at least 4 years, that we all know the real answer to. People play guitar hero and tons of people pick up guitar because of it. Check out the amount of people that actually respect guitarists since the rise in popularity of Guitar Hero -- No one would talk about Buckethead or PG in 2000, (or whatever year was pre-GH) even 1/8 of how much they're idolized now. and anyone who is into very technical stuff and is trying to make a living off writing it is probably getting there fill of fans and support.

Of course, maybe not all technical music is good, but what's wrong with people actually being able to recognize talent? I'm sure if you showed someone who wasn't a guitarist Steve Vai in 1999 they'd say he's making a lot of noise. Now he's playing "expert stuff." Difference is, people want to buy it now, listen to and play guitar hero to the music. It's a win situation for shredders, as GH gets even more popular labels are going to want a few of these crazy musicians to create some good GH tracks.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Quote by bdof
Inspired for me to play in the first place, and I'm not ashamed to admit that.
Granted that only about 1 out of 10 people probably continue to play guitar after 3 months, but isn't like that with people begining to play guitar anyways. Most people don't have the attention span, personal motivation, or work ethic to keep it up. Guitar Hero should be commended for getting so many people to become interested in it in the first place. Even if only 1 out of 100 people were influenced to play by it, and only 1 out of a hundred of those continued and became great at it, and only 1 out of 100 of those made it big? Then guitar hero did it's job

+1 Same here.
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
It makes people think you should whammy every note.
lp345: It's a virus
rage6945: i went on a little bit torrent spree and got Jay-z's black album
nebno6:Maybe it's god punishing you for having a bad music taste.
nowa90:UGNED!!
Ah yeah, I had been playing guitar for some time before it, but had sort of lost interest. However, when I tried that, it gave me too an inspiration to pick up the guitar again, and only after that I've started to progress. Not because GH improved my playing but because it INSPIRED MY PLAYING!
I think guitar hero and actual guitar are two completely seperate things, which is why people don't really need to bitch about it. You don't see Halo players walking around attempting to get as many head-shots as possible... so why bother complaining about people who play guitar hero?
P.S i know a bassist who plays GH..and he got a free t-shirt out of it. WIN situations tbh.
i think it makes stupid threads like this appear

get over it, people like guitar hero, and since htey like it they will continue to play it and like bands who are in it, if you cant deal with that go live on an island.

you sound like an 85yr old lady who cant deal with change
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
It's actually inspired a lot of guitarists... I know either Synester or Zachy from A7X based the riff from Critical Acclaim on basic guitar hero movements... (If you dont believe me check out the bonus dvd.. im sure you can find the clips online, or just learn to play the song.. its pretty obvious)
Quote by Brian 1.0
Check out the amount of people that actually respect guitarists since the rise in popularity of Guitar Hero -- No one would talk about Buckethead or PG in 2000, (or whatever year was pre-GH) even 1/8 of how much they're idolized now. and anyone who is into very technical stuff and is trying to make a living off writing it is probably getting there fill of fans and support.

And it makes me sick. Jordan is at the top of the Last.fm chart for Buckethead... It's his worst song. It's crap and it makes me sick that it's because of guitar hero. I wish there were less musicians around, it's hard not to make something completely generic sounding without trying hard to be different (dunno if I made any sense there).
Quote by nebno6
It makes people think you should whammy every note.

I hate when my friends ask me why i haven't got a whammy in my guitar!!

+ they have no idea at all what a whammy can do except divebombs
SIGNATURE
Last edited by KaFuCh at Feb 7, 2009,
Well I can say guitar hero helped me pick up guitar again. I played guitar for a year and half never got really good and I just took lessons and whatnot. So then I picked up bass and got to be a pretty solid bassist. But then I was like, why don't I try out guitar again? Needless to say the rest is history.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Quote by DEATHPANDA
And it makes me sick. Jordan is at the top of the Last.fm chart for Buckethead... It's his worst song. It's crap and it makes me sick that it's because of guitar hero. I wish there were less musicians around, it's hard not to make something completely generic sounding without trying hard to be different (dunno if I made any sense there).

I sorta understand you. I prefer Jordan when he mashes it in live with Post Office Buddy, but I don't even think he does that anymore. Buckethead's popularity is still raised greatly, there's now a couple million that know buckethead compared to >300,000 pre-guitar hero. And I'm sure they aren't all saying Jordan is the best. I was turned on to buckethead from guitar hero and I'm a rabid fan, I order his new CDs directly from his label day of release, 90% of the time when I'm listening to music it's from him. I'm sure it's not just me.

the musicians part: It's not really musicians as much as millions of guitarists that kill your "originality." Don't try too hard to be different, if your music appeals to people you'll pick up eventually at least a small fanbase.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Last edited by Brian 1.0 at Feb 7, 2009,
Heres a convo I had with this girl one time about teaching her guitar.

"You know Ive played guitar a couple years now"

"Oh Yeah I can play guitar hero on medium"

"Thats cool but guitar is much harder than that"

"Whats The Difference?"

I just walked away at that point
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I have no major issues with GH,except when kids think that because they can play it on GH they can just pick up a six string and shred,that's just silly.One other thing,I get annoyed when an actual guitarist plays GH more than guitar and justifies it with the excuse of "It's the same as practicing on a regular guitar".Yeah,I've actually had someone tell me that before haha.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

ive been playing guitar for about 2 years. i have guitar hero 1/3 and rock band 1/2. its a fun party game not much more then that. im good i can play mostly all the songs on expert, but i dont think im a great guitarist because of that lol.
Quote by Mayonaise 812
ive been playing guitar for about 2 years. i have guitar hero 1/3 and rock band 1/2. its a fun party game not much more then that. im good i can play mostly all the songs on expert, but i dont think im a great guitarist because of that lol.

Yeah I have rockband 2 as well I dont really play it though unless I have friends over cause none of my friends can jam with me on real instruments
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Pac_man0123
I think people stopped caring about 6 months ago.

+1
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Actually, Guitar Hero helped strengthen my pinky finger when i first started playing.
the other day i tried out rockband for the first time at my friends house, and I failed miserable trying to play Enter Sandman on medium.

We turn the game off and get ready to go and this girl that was there too says:

"aren't you supposed to be some kind of guitar player or something"

and she was serious.
Quote by Tedward
the other day i tried out rockband for the first time at my friends house, and I failed miserable trying to play Enter Sandman on medium.

We turn the game off and get ready to go and this girl that was there too says:

"aren't you supposed to be some kind of guitar player or something"

and she was serious.

..damn. She got you good.

...but ya, GH inspired me to play real guitar. I haven't played GH for a year or so now after starting real guitar.
American Strat
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Okay believe it or not it actually improved my friends playing on bass. He used to be very slow and play really ****ty music, but then he moved out of town becuase he was pissed at his dad and went to live with his mom. He was out in the country and knew nobody so he would play his brothers copy of GH2 on Xbox 360 and since he was used to finger picking on the bass all he did was strum with his fingers, like most people do on a bass unless they use a pick. In two months he went from playing medium to expert and his picking hands speed increased, then he started picking up his bass more often and I **** my pants when i saw his improvement when he moved back.
Quote by andy_thomas
Were you by any chance, exposing your scrotum to an open flame?
I have a friend whos a God at Rock band and because of this he often claims he could play the actual songs on the game, It's like "Dude, you're hitting FIVE COLORED NOTES!!!"
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I'll admit, GH was part of the inspiration for me playing the real guitar.

I picked up my bro's squier when he first got it. "Played" for about 30 minutes, then chalked it up as a loss. Fast forward a couple years. I played GH and was going over there a few times a week after work to play that game. About 3 or 4 months later, I had become interested in learning to play for real. I took my bro's squier(he quit trying after a couple of weeks) and the little amp home and played it for a couple of months. I then bought my own guitar and amp and have been playing since. Been about a year now.

So I'm glad I started playing GH because I doubt I'd be playing a real guitar now.
It can improve your timing, seriously, our drummer started playing it and he can (nearly) keep time now.
Quote by Norseman27
Actually, Guitar Hero helped strengthen my pinky finger when i first started playing.

You know how your hand hurts alot in the first month of playing guitar?
By playing Guitar Hero, I was able to skip that.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
You know how your hand hurts alot in the first month of playing guitar?
By playing Guitar Hero, I was able to skip that.

Same here. In fact, I personally use more finger strength playing GH and RB than playing the guitar.
Quote by tonedeafidiot
Same here. In fact, I personally use more finger strength playing GH and RB than playing the guitar.

Happened for me too.
My gear:

Memphis les paul (fixin it up as we speak!)
Schecter C1 plus
Ibanez RX 240 (been sold)
Peavey envoy 110 (Pretty dang good!)
Some washburn acoustic...
GH can. Help you.. I wanted to build up my Finger muscles and speed.. but that hand grip was jus to boreing for me. So my friend was like one day! "hey you play guitar.. play guita hero!" So i tried it and found out as of realism its nothing like real guitar.. but for finger movement helps a lot. .If you can play expert. that is
I found it's been good for synchronisation between fingers and strumming in the more complicated rhythm sections. It's also a good warmup, and can be a good finger strength workout. I'm unashamedly a fan of GH, just for reference.

Try tapping the whole tapping section from Satch Boogie vs Guitar. MUCH easier on guitar. It's a workout on GH.

Then there's crap like Hot For Teacher. It's nowhere near that hard to play on actual guitar.

They need to include flying bottles instead of failure for missing too many note though.
It would have helped my finger strength if I hadn't already had 9 years of hard classical piano training.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
guitar hero was my first influence of rock music and inspired me to play real gutiar. but it also spawns a league of children who don't know Sh!t about real guitar of music outside of whats outside guitar hero. its a double edged sword
i think its good to loosen your fingers up if you just start real guitar yah know so then you use all 4 fingers on the fretboard,but aside that i hate the 11 year old prepubescent metal head slash raping kids who are like "
lulx Sl@sh iz Br00telz cuz h3 pl@ys oober f@st!"
and then I go,"Joe Satriani ,ever hear of him,one of the most innovative players of the the last 20+ years???"
"who?lulz he iz g@ys"
that is the only reason i don't like guitar hero.
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
As a guitarist first, Rock Bandist second, and Guitar Heroist third, I enjoy them all, but frankly they are not comparable except for RB-GH. I enjoy the latter two as a game and prefer the first, but I like to kick the ass musically of all the kids who think RB/GH = real instruments though. THey are pricks. Everyone else is fine though. Hell, it got me into The Kaiser Chiefs, one of my favourite modern bands, so I'd go as far to say I like it almost as much as real guitar. *Puts up flameshield*
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Page 1 of 2