I've never been a huge strat guy until I played a few at the music store. I've got two used strats to choose from:

option 1: 1999 MIM, maple neck, $200 (normal usage)
option 2: 2006 MIM, rosewood fretboard, $325 (rarely used)

Is there a big difference between the two years? I heard the late 90's pickups were very good (good for a MIM). Even better than the 00-present pickups. Is this true? Are there any differences between the guitars other than years? Thanks for your help. For the money, I'm thinking the 1999 is the way to go but the 06 has hardly been used. This will likely be my number one guitar so it'll get lots of play for me in any case.

Let me know your thoughts on teh differences and which you would choose. Thank for the help
see which one you like the best, I had a '94 MIM for a long time and it was a fantastic guitar, much better then the MIM's they put out now.

You should play both and choose the one that feels and sounds the best to you.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
i meet the guy with the 1999 today. i think 200 is a great deal. i'll probably eventually change out the pickups. no time soon though. amp is next on the list
yea 200 is a great price, I would go for it definitely
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
test em'.

on paper imo I'd go for the '99 cause it's cheaper and has a maple fretboard.

+1
I saw and played the 99 today. It was pretty beat up. I understand a little wear and tear on a used 10 year old is to be expected. But, this was just abused. I asked him to lower to 150. I not sure if he'll go that lower but we'll see. Its a sunburst which I love, the sound isn't too bad, and I a huge fan of the maple neck.

I got the guy of the 06 to drop to 300. I meet him tomorrow. I'd be happier if it had a maple neck (its rosewood) but its not a huge deal. And, I think 300 is a good deal on a pretty much new MIM. The stickers are still on. We'll see. I keep you updated. 300 sounds good right?
Quote by mikedsome
I saw and played the 99 today. It was pretty beat up. I understand a little wear and tear on a used 10 year old is to be expected. But, this was just abused. I asked him to lower to 150. I not sure if he'll go that lower but we'll see. Its a sunburst which I love, the sound isn't too bad, and I a huge fan of the maple neck.

I got the guy of the 06 to drop to 300. I meet him tomorrow. I'd be happier if it had a maple neck (its rosewood) but its not a huge deal. And, I think 300 is a good deal on a pretty much new MIM. The stickers are still on. We'll see. I keep you updated. 300 sounds good right?

GO play it tomorrow!

if you like it buy it from him 300$ is a good price for am almost brand new MIM Stratocaster
Since we're in a topic about MIM Strats, I might as well ask. Will a MIM Strat hold up as well as an MIA, or is it absolutely imperative to save the extra few hunred bucks for the MIA?
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Since we're in a topic about MIM Strats, I might as well ask. Will a MIM Strat hold up as well as an MIA, or is it absolutely imperative to save the extra few hunred bucks for the MIA?

I've asked the same question. I'm still pretty green. But, from what I could gather, the big difference is in the pickups (along with overall quality). They are better in the MIA. The MIM's can be hit or miss. But, unless you are an advanced musician, you may not be able to tell the difference. Assuming the MIM pickups aren't complete crap. And, if you can, you have to ask yourself is the extra cash worth it. There is about a 600 difference between the two. Like everyone says, you've just got to try them out individually. Some say the MIM are just as good as the MIA. If my bank account had a few more zeros, I'd definately go MIA but I think I can find a good MIM. Or, you can go my route and look for a diamond in the rough in the used market. With patience you may be able to find a steal on an MIA--especially in this economy. Hope that was some help.
$200 is not unreasonable.

I'm pretty sure the '99 will be better overall... I dunno, I can't say.

I'd snag it. For $200, nice worn in feel... get it!
Quote by LabradorBassist
GO play it tomorrow!

if you like it buy it from him 300$ is a good price for am almost brand new MIM Stratocaster

I already called and scheduled a time. I really want a maple neck but I figure this will be just another in my collection. The maple will come in time. I'm new and not the best musician but I love playing (rather trying to play). I'm just pretty upset at myself for letting go of another rarely used 01 with a hard case for 250. Not a scratch, dent, or ding. I tested it out but was put off by the rosewood neck. At the time I was set on maple. Now, I'm more open. I let a great deal get away. Hopefully things work out tomorrow. I attached pics of the guitar, I'm trying out.
Attachments:
strat2.jpg
strat11.jpg
strat3.jpg
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
$200 is not unreasonable.

I'm pretty sure the '99 will be better overall... I dunno, I can't say.

I'd snag it. For $200, nice worn in feel... get it!

I know 200 is a steal. I'm not especially picky and don't need it to be super shiny and nice. But it was beat up. It was really bad in my opinion. He said he's used it at gigs for years and it more than showed. I reasoned a rarely used 06 was worth the extra hundred. I've been wrong before though.
Quote by mikedsome
I know 200 is a steal. I'm not especially picky and don't need it to be super shiny and nice. But it was beat up. It was really bad in my opinion. He said he's used it at gigs for years and it more than showed. I reasoned a rarely used 06 was worth the extra hundred. I've been wrong before though.

Sounds like you made a good decision then. If you didn't like it, then get the other one.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Got the 06 this morning. Sounds great and feels pretty good. Not a scratch on it. The only issue is the previous owner was a smoker. The bag and guitar smell like smoke. Not sure how to resolve that. Any one have an idea?

Otherwise, like I said, the guitar is great. No complaints so far. I like thicker strings so I'll be changing those ASAP. The thin ones feel like spagetti to me.
Who cares if it smells like smoke? That just adds to the background of it I'm sure the smell will wear off eventually. My Gibson SG came home smelling like the inside of GC, and now it reeks of stale cologne and victory Weirdly enough, the smell of the finish is still present, if you actually smell the guitar itself.

EDIT: Congrats on the new guitar, bro.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Who cares if it smells like smoke? That just adds to the background of it I'm sure the smell will wear off eventually. My Gibson SG came home smelling like the inside of GC, and now it reeks of stale cologne and victory Weirdly enough, the smell of the finish is still present, if you actually smell the guitar itself.

EDIT: Congrats on the new guitar, bro.

Thanks. I'm sure it'll go away eventually. It wasn't a big deal. I can't put it down.
I like the '06 because of its rosewood fingerboard. I dunno why, but I'm not the biggest fan of maple fingerboards.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
I like the look of maple fretboards, but prefer the feel of rosewood.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by GLandolina
christ. the average MIM stratocaster costs 500 USD here in britain.

Yea, it's the same with euros in Holland. And the same with Teles actually
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I played a few maples at a music store. I love them. Rosewoods aren't at all bad. I just prefer maples. Although, the strat I got today has a rosewood board, I love it. Sound is great and its feels good. I'm planning on maintaining a collection anyway and this was a can't miss deal in my opinion.
I would buy the '99 because I've already got a rosewood strat. Colors?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by mikedsome
Got the 06 this morning. Sounds great and feels pretty good. Not a scratch on it. The only issue is the previous owner was a smoker. The bag and guitar smell like smoke. Not sure how to resolve that. Any one have an idea?

Otherwise, like I said, the guitar is great. No complaints so far. I like thicker strings so I'll be changing those ASAP. The thin ones feel like spagetti to me.

Congratulations. I got a MIM Strat myself for about 300 bucks used last year. Mine came from a home where the owner smoked as well so the bag just reeked of it, but it wore out over time.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by Pencil Man
I would buy the '99 because I've already got a rosewood strat. Colors?

The one I got is electron blue. The 99 is a sunburst.