I didn't know which Only thread this would fit in, so I just gave it its own thread.

I got an Xbox 360 for christmas, and since then I've been working on how to connect to xbox live. The problem is figuring out how to connect it to the internet, because it is in a separate room that is not connected to the rest of the house. We have wifi in the main house, but it's too far away to get a good connection on the xbox, and the wireless adapters are too expensive. However, the room is connected to the same phone line as the rest of the house, would I be able to just buy another dsl modem and plug it in without an extra charge from our isp? (we already pay for dsl internet in the house and we have one modem).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
i've tried plugging in another modem before and it didn't work the only way you will be able to is to but the adapter
How far away is it from the main computer? (the one that accesses the internet). Because it may just be cheaper and easier to buy a long network cable and run it through that.
Official member of the "UG Senior Citizens Club For People Over 21"
Official member of the "UG Fat Chicks Appreciation Club" (Yeah, no one will probably follow...)

Quote by speedy1330
i've tried plugging in another modem before and it didn't work the only way you will be able to is to but the adapter

The wifi isn't fast enough because it's too far away.
Quote by Heid
How far away is it from the main computer? (the one that accesses the internet). Because it may just be cheaper and easier to buy a long network cable and run it through that.

I'd say about a hundred feet, but it's a completely separate building, so the cable would have to go underground or something.
the other alternative is to buy a wireless bridge and set that up, the Xbox should just think it's connected through a long cable, not tried it myself but can't see why it wouldn't work.

not as cheap as a long cable, but not as messy!!

might be worth checking out an Xbox forum, sure it'll have been covered to death on there.
Quote by samick007
The wifi isn't fast enough because it's too far away.

I'd say about a hundred feet, but it's a completely separate building, so the cable would have to go underground or something.

What about running a hub halfway between? That way you can still use cables...
Official member of the "UG Senior Citizens Club For People Over 21"
Official member of the "UG Fat Chicks Appreciation Club" (Yeah, no one will probably follow...)

the wifi adapters for the 360 suck your best off just getting a network cable into the modem!
Yoda i be!

Quote by lzrdsixsix6
its so much funner doing it with friends tho...........like masturbation

Quote by GrayFoxz
With your post, the pit has its rightful name - the pit, the most lowest place on earth, after a 100 feet of earth and 200 feet of sh|t .
Ok thanks, I'll try that.

Edit: to everybody
Last edited by samick007 at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by mr_leemur
the other alternative is to buy a wireless bridge and set that up, the Xbox should just think it's connected through a long cable, not tried it myself but can't see why it wouldn't work.

That works.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
If you have a laptop, you can use internet connection sharing and just run the network cable from your laptop to your xbox. that's what I do.
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by HaKattack
If you have a laptop, you can use internet connection sharing and just run the network cable from your laptop to your xbox. that's what I do.

That's what my friend told me to do, but we only have one laptop, and it's my dad's. I don't want to have to borrow it every time I want to play.