For those Mars Volta fans, how has the Mars Volta influenced or inspired your guitar playing? For me personally, it has exposed me to different playing styles from rock, such as latin and jazz. Also, I have started including more time changes in my songs, which really adds more excitment and diversity to my songs, instead of just the standard 4/4 Verse, Chorus, Verse crap that everyone and their mother use.
Theyve help me realise that you can write great songs with out any real structure (they do have structure, just its not usually conventional) its not like verse chorus verse if you get what i mean.
There's riddles in the shadows
They're thrown the way that i'd expect
And people never seem to know
What they least suspect is coming next
Quote by M_G
Theyve help me realise that you can write great songs with out any real structure (they do have structure, just its not usually conventional) its not like verse chorus verse if you get what i mean.

Actually it generally is simple song structures just done up a bit. Based on a quote by Omar which someone could probably provide.

But yeah, they have influenced me hugely in time signatures, fusion and just general writing style. Amazing band.

This should probably be in the TMV thread too....

Small writing in the middle of big sig.

They definitely inspired a psychedelic and experimental aspect into my guitar playing, and encouraged me to abuse effect pedals.

Oh, and go to The Mars Volta thread.
They've inspired me to do weird ****.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.