Well, my new Agile Reaper just arrived the other day (it's pretty ). It came from the factory tuned to E standard (sort of). I plan on using this guitar for C Standard tuning so I took off all the strings and re-strung it with 12 gauge strings. But now I can't get it to stay in tune.

I know that for Floyds, when putting on new strings you have to tune it, stretch the strings, tune it again, stretch the strings, tune it again, stretch the strings, etc and so forth until the tuning takes. However, everytime I "re-tune" the strings after stretching them the bridge tilts higher and higher towards the neck. I even adjusted the spring tension screws but it doesn't seem to do anything, just stretches the springs and leaves the bridge tilted.

Do I need another spring to increase the tension in the bridge or is there something I'm doing wrong/overlooking?
You need more spring tension on the floyd otherwise it will never stay in tune cause it will be tilted so the strings will always be flat.

Just open up the back and SLOWLY tighten the two trem claw screws about a quarter or half turn at a time, retune and repeat until it sits level with the body. If you pick it up and look at the unit from the side it should sit straight.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Last edited by Lethal Dosage at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by Lethal Dosage
You need more spring tension on the floyd otherwise it will never stay in tune cause it will be tilted so the strings will always be flat.

You can tune a guitar with a FR bridge when it's tilted forward or pulled back, it just messes with the action and won't stay in tune if you use the bridge.

TS, try adding another spring.
Quote by Pac_man0123
You can tune a guitar with a FR bridge when it's tilted forward or pulled back, it just messes with the action and won't stay in tune if you use the bridge.

TS, try adding another spring.

Thats what I meant actually once you engage the bridge its gonna screw it up

I swear you just follow me around threads pacman its rather entertaining
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Another spring might help, but I think I know what your problem is. This is your first guitar with a Floyd Rose, isn't it? Take it to the guitar shop, let them set it up, don't break the friggen thing. But, start googling up walkthroughs and how to's on Floyd Rose trems and figure out what you're doing.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Fr's aren't that hard to use and you don't need another spring. Just do what lethal said and tighten the screws until the bridge sits level with the body. The only reason you'll need another spring is if the screws go all the way in and the bridge is still floating forward, but a new guitar shouldn't do that.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
The only reason you'll need another spring is if the screws go all the way in and the bridge is still floating forward, but a new guitar shouldn't do that.

That is exactly what's happening. It was fine when I got it, but it was tuned to E standard with .009s. I re-strung it with .012s so I could tune down to C standard, but now I think the string tension is too strong because increasing the spring tension with the screws is only stretching the springs and not bringing the bridge down at all.

I can actually tune it to the tuning I want while the bridge is flush, however after stretching the strings the tuning drops so I re-tune back up as required. but after tuning it back up the bridge starts to tilt towards the neck. And with every consecutive stretch and re-tune, the bridge tilts further and further towards the neck.

I can't help but think I need more string tension. And since the screws are as far as they can go I believe the only option at this point is to add another spring.
Update: I went and picked up an extra trem spring and it works beautifully now. If only I would've added the spring earlier I could've saved myself a lot of time. Ah well, live and learn!
Quote by Erkekjetter
Update: I went and picked up an extra trem spring and it works beautifully now. If only I would've added the spring earlier I could've saved myself a lot of time. Ah well, live and learn!

Yeh, i didnt know that the screws were already all the way in. I thought you just didnt know how to adjust the birdge.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...