my current set-up

Gallien-Krueger 1001-rb II
Genz-Benz 410XA 4x10 cab
Ampeg Classic Series 4x10 cab
Sans Amp DI
Boss Chromatic Tuner

running an Ibanez SRX something or other through this.

I also frequently use an Ampeg 8x10, borrowed from a friend. I prefer the sound of the 8x10 by far, but I have no way to transport one (I've only used both of my cabs once. Usually just use the genz-benz)

If you're into solid state, there should be no option other than Gallien-Krueger. Wide range of tones, lots of power, decent amount of features. I compared this amp to an SVT when I was shopping, actually preferred the GK (which was more expensive, because the SVT was used)

Just ask dudes that play in bands, shop around, try amps, and find what suits you. Everyone has different taste.
I don't have a bass amp that is good enough for gigging, so I hire for every gig.

I use:
My Fender Highway 1 Jazz
Hired GK 800rb
Hired Ampeg 8x10

If I'm playing a smaller gig, I'll hire a SWR Goliath 4x10 instead of the Ampeg.
Quote by Cedence
If you're into solid state, there should be no option other than Gallien-Krueger. Wide range of tones, lots of power, decent amount of features. I compared this amp to an SVT when I was shopping, actually preferred the GK (which was more expensive, because the SVT was used)

yeah? a few friends of mine said they blew out their GK head pretty easily. other than that all i've heard were good things. i'll definitely look into it.
You can't really go wrong with a Hartke head, I've had mine a good few years now and it is still rock solid and I've had no problems with it. It also spent six months in my un-heated practise space and worked perfectly the first time I turned it on.

However it is now for sale along with all my bass gear. Needs must and I never use any of it anymore.
All-O-Gistics:

Thou shalt always go for greatness
Thou shalt not commit adulthood (ALL)
Thou shalt not partake of decaf (ALL!)
Thou shalt not have no idea (ALL)
Thou shalt not allow anything to deter you in your quest for all (ALL!)
Quote by startXtoday
yeah? a few friends of mine said they blew out their GK head pretty easily. other than that all i've heard were good things. i'll definitely look into it.

Mine has taken a lot of road abuse over the past year, no problems. Make sure you stick it in a rack case though.
Quote by MustangMan311
Used Gallien-Krueger 700RB - $250
Gallien-Krueger 410 BLX - $300

Does me well. Head puts out 480 watts at 4 ohms, 320 at 8, and the cab is set to run at 8 ohms. Definitely loud.

ha weird. this just popped up on craigslist. GK 700RB asking $250, and a GK 410 SBX Plus asking $300. looks like that takes the cake.
the DI pedal, right?

Here are my settings:

Level - 12:00
Blend - 4:00-5:00
Treble - 3:00-4:00
Bass - 4:00-5:00
Drive - 9:00-10:00
Presence - 2:00

just play around with it, it can actually give you a wide variety of tones. It varies depending on your bass/rig, but it can be a huge addition to your sound
If I had to suggest things for the thread, I'd suggest Ampeg and a P-Bass (though that seems more Punk/Hardcore and I have no idea if you mean that or 'modern' hardcore. In any case, that seems to be a good combo for this genre.)

Me? Besides having a bass that I refer to as a piece of **** (the whole, "Do it yourself / who cares if my equipment is horrible") , my rig is very the opposite. I have an Acoustic amp and keep my tone settings to very clean types. I'm waiting for some RotoSounds to come so I can see how they sound (they might be too bright, they might be the exact crispness I'm looking for).

blahblah, point is basically it depends on what type of hardcore
subpoint is that my rig is not a hardcore rig by any means

editz: I'd also suggest that you DO NOT cut your mids. Mids are the most amazing thing in the world, and it annoys me when people cut them almost completely out. Nothing is worse than seeing a hardcore band that has a bassist that sounds like BOOMs and Clicks, but absolutely no definition.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Feb 10, 2009,
werd. we're going for a breakdown/ raw deal kinda thing, but a couple other kids want to start up something ala lifetime/greyarea so a variety in tones is pretty important. i'm shooting down to a local store sometime this week who's supposedly having blowout sales so we'll see whats good there.
and yeaaah i've heard sansamps are a must. once i get some $ i'm definitely going to give it a shot.
i stand by the fact that my bass player's 55 watt ampeg b-25 is louder than every other bass amp in this thread.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by Cedence
I despise Acoustic amps. Sound awful, kids hype them up so much. They're cheap, but they're cheap for a reason

If I were looking for a hardcore type tone, I'd despise them too, but the key is that I'm not. I was looking for a nice somewhat-transparent amp. The wood of my bass, pups, strings, and technique do most of my sound, not my amplifier. Plus they're better than Behringers, and that is all that matters

blahblah, point being that I understand where you are coming from in the context of the thread, but out of context I disagree (and I don't hype them up one bit).

Quote by pmeg568c
i stand by the fact that my bass player's 55 watt ampeg b-25 is louder than every other bass amp in this thread.

1, loudness isn't what matters, sustainability of tone at loud volume is
2, 55 TUBE watts are going to be louder than Solid State watts
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Feb 11, 2009,
Well the OP was looking for an amp for hardcore/punk. And personally, I think Acoustic amps sound bad no matter what kind of music you are playing.

And there's no need to bring typical bassist elitism into this thread.
Quote by Cedence
Well the OP was looking for an amp for hardcore/punk. And personally, I think Acoustic amps sound bad no matter what kind of music you are playing.

And there's no need to bring typical bassist elitism into this thread.

Which is why I specified that my set up isn't for this thread and stated a setup that is good for this thread.

Who is the bottom for?
Now say his name.....
I have a Gallien Krueger 700RB Head and a GK SBX410 cab.
I believe that the bi-amp is not working. Perhaps it's the horn?
Even in full range setting the horn just hisses.
I do recall when I first got it playing a gig and sharing it with another bass player. I showed him my rig and settings and left for a bit. When I returned he had hooked up a Berhinger 1x15 cab to my rig. I don't know the model but recall it not being the correct ohmage. I promptly unplugged it, but the damage may have been done. Could this be my bi-amp in the head is blown or the horn in the cab?
Quote by wass001
I have a Gallien Krueger 700RB Head and a GK SBX410 cab.
I believe that the bi-amp is not working. Perhaps it's the horn?
Even in full range setting the horn just hisses.
I do recall when I first got it playing a gig and sharing it with another bass player. I showed him my rig and settings and left for a bit. When I returned he had hooked up a Berhinger 1x15 cab to my rig. I don't know the model but recall it not being the correct ohmage. I promptly unplugged it, but the damage may have been done. Could this be my bi-amp in the head is blown or the horn in the cab?

Not sure as I don't have a horn and I'm pretty amp-stupid, but I would ask over at TalkBass or in the Bass forum of UG.
Quote by MustangMan311
Just bought one a few days ago- Haven't found anything special yet. :\

Love mine.

I don't even bother with an amp most of the time these days because I can just run through the PA and use the onstage monitors.

But from what I hear small venues in the UK tend to be better equipped than small US venues for some reason.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!