Around the neck and around the body are the only places i've seen them, and I just wondered.... what is it for? Is it just decoraction? And if so, why not just paint a white line around the body Just wondering. Thanks for any information.
Quote by Jackolas
edgespear, driving great ideas again. Sir, you pwn.

Gear:
Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul, PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 Floyd Amethyst
Amp: Peavey 6505, Eleven Rack
It was originally for strength on acoustics (to strengthen the joint between sides and top + bottom), it really serves no other purpose than decoration on an electric guitar, unless it's not a solidbody. The reason you don't paint a white line around the body is that it looks very unclassy.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Some companies do paint on the binding, and popular consensus on that is that it looks ****ty and cheap...I don't think as much about the esthetics of guitar as I do playability and tone, I play a myriad of cheap and ugly guitars that I love but I still have an opinion on the looks of a guitar, and painted on binding is a no no I wouldn't throw a guitar out because of it, but my thoughts on it are, if a guitar doesn't have binding then it doesn't need to look like it does.
Basically it's all been said, originally it was used to strengthen the joint between sides, top, and back on acoustics, and when electric guitars were starting out in the 50s they liked the look so they left it.

Painted binding would be amazingly tacky, and fail filled.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by lozlovesstrats
it looks flash

Actually, it can also look gash. In my opinion.
Ah I see, thanks for the info. I have an Epi Les Paul and to be honest I can't imagine a Les Paul without binding! And if I could, I doubt it would look as great...
And yeah I see now how painting on a binding would look tacky =/ plus it wouldn't help with the whole strength factor on acoustics :P
Quote by Jackolas
edgespear, driving great ideas again. Sir, you pwn.

Gear:
Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul, PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 Floyd Amethyst
Amp: Peavey 6505, Eleven Rack