So as you can see in my sig I own a Fender Frontman 212r, I am GASing for a Traynor YCV50Blue, but I was wondering if there was a way to improve my FM. Don't suggest destroying it, I will probably sell it later, but I mean if I put in different speakers and such. Also would there be anyway to improve the clean and distortion channels on it? Cause so far all it is, is loud. It's not that great and I would like to improve it cause chances are it would be cheaper than buying the Traynor (although I do still plan to buy that).

So the checklist

1) Give the cleans a less bright more warm tone
2) Make the distortion not so... flat. Crunchy marshall-esque on one channel, but be able to switch it a metal-ish distortion.
3) What speakers and other parts would I need to accomplish this.
4) How much? Let's just pretend that price is not a problem, but it is.

Thanks much guys. I do plan on selling this later, but for the time that I have it I would like it to be a fairly good amp, besides just a loud mother.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Getting new speakers will do you a world of good. I played a Squier Sidekick through some old '80s Kenwood speaker cabs and it sounded quite kick-ass.

1. Speakers can fix that.
2. Speakers can help it. A diode-change is in order, but if it's anything like my FM25R, it has about 5 or more sets of clipping diodes...
3. No idea.
4. No idea.
Modding it will most definitely not be worth the price and any money you spend fixing it is money you can't spend on the Traynor. You can't polish a turd.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
This isn't going to cost THAT much. The most expensive part is the speakers. Modding it is gonna be piss-easy and the diodes are only a few cents each.

"You can't polish a turd". Feh.
So i would probably guess that for the crunchy distortion I would probably need something british voiced or whatever.

Here are a few speakers ideas

Eminence Legend GB
Eminence Man O War

I dunno really. I also gotta get that Ohm's and such right don't I?

Edit: There are worse amps then this. I don't know what, but I'm certain there are.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Last edited by JF-SH1 at Feb 7, 2009,
Ok well the 212r is 100 into 4 Ohms so I would need 2 8 Ohm speakers right? If so then either of those eminences would work. I will find Mr. Carrot and seek his advice.

The solidstate fenders actually sound surpisingly good through a set of good speakers. A kid in a band that used to play the same scene as me played a Fender Frontman 100 through a peavey 6150 cabinet and it was just balls. It sounded amazing for a Fender SS amp, sure it was no mesa or vintage fender, but it did it's job better than we thought it would.

As far as modding the circuit board goes, that's an easy way to fry the amp, so... unless you're not too attached to it and you're willing to junk it if something goes wrong, I would't recommend it.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by stradivari310
Modding it will most definitely not be worth the price and any money you spend fixing it is money you can't spend on the Traynor. You can't polish a turd.

Indeed you can. I was flipping through the channels and I saw on Mythbusters that they did some ancient chinese thing and got a turd to be shiny (think it was lion poo)

Edit: I forgot TS if you want to do this id say go for it as it shouldn't cut into your traynor budget too much
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
Right now my money is decimated. I just got an interview for a job and that isn't even set in stone. So right now I have no plan for when to do all this. I am just curious about switching all of this because it seems like a decent idea to me.

Edit: I'm kinda hopeless when it comes to speakers. I play alot of blues, ska, alternative, and I like to mess around with metal for the hell of it. You guys probably know speakers better than me, most anyone does, so what would you guys recommend. I'd like to get a more round warm tone than bright. I don't really know what else. Let's pretend that i have a budget of $250 for 2 speakers.

Last edited by JF-SH1 at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by stradivari310

I made an Ion crap amp sound kick ass for a 15w.
Quote by Invader Jim
This isn't going to cost THAT much. The most expensive part is the speakers. Modding it is gonna be piss-easy and the diodes are only a few cents each.

"You can't polish a turd". Feh.

You actually can polish a turd, Myth Busters did a show recently and they actually managed to polish some.
The polishing turd analogy only applies to certain things, ie: things that can't be replaced.

If it were the structure of the amp that was compromised (rotting wood) then it'd be a bit more of a challenge. In this case, if you spent a dollar on a handful of diodes and an hour interchanging them (assuming you're comfortable doing so) and you can "polish your turd" just fine. Speakers won't be entirely necessary, especially if you plan on selling it, but A decent set of speakers and a little amp modding could make this amp better than it would ever have been. I love my 112 Princeton, and I play my buddy's 212 all the time, and love the sound. I agree with the channels, but If you could mod the EQ in both channels, you may have a solution to a good number of your problems.

------

Shwiggity.
I think that if I change the speakers and decided to sell it I would just put the stock speakers back in and keep the new ones as back ups.