hey guys, i just need help with a quick question. i was looking at a guitar with soapbar pickups but ive never played them before. are they incredibly bright? and how do they sound on a dirty channel of an amp? i dont really have the time to go play a guitar with one(i have to work all weekend ) and i know someone out there must have an answer. my amp is a traynor ycv40 if that helps
Well, Jesus Christ, I'm not scared to die,

I'm a little bit scared of what comes after

Do I get the gold chariot?

Do I float through the ceiling?
Best bet is to try them

By soapbars I assume p90 style pickups. p90s are singlecoils overwoud with the magnet on a steel plate (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) That have more punch than strat singles, but still retain the single coil vibe.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
P90s are amazing, what guitar are you looking at?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
not really overly bright, they're more gibson-like than fender if you ask me, kind of warm. kinda half-way between the tone of a humbucker and a fender-style single coil, maybe even slightly closer to a humbucker.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
not really overly bright, they're more gibson-like than fender if you ask me, kind of warm. kinda half-way between the tone of a humbucker and a fender-style single coil, maybe even slightly closer to a humbucker.

Plues they're in a mahogany body, pretty hard to make mahogany sound bright!
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
dunno, my eggle new york has a mahogany body and it's bright as anything. though it does have a maple set neck, ebony board and strat-style trem.

but yeah, thick LP standard-style guitars generally seem to sound warm.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Ever used a Jazzmaster? Tell me they sound more like 'buckers then.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
no i haven't tried a jazzmaster. jazzmasters don't have p90s, though, they have jazzmaster pickups. i'm talking about gibson-style p90s, which is what i assume he means by soapbars. i could be wrong, though, now you mention it JM pickups are sometimes referred to as soapbars too, so if that's what he means, I'll defer to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok, that whole P-90/Soapbar in Fender and GIbson does tend to confuse people.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
yeah, definitely. he should probably tell us which he means.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
All I know, is on the link, it says soapbars.
Quote by chip46
P-90's (either soapbar, dogeared, bucker size, or strat size) are amazing pickups, and IMO, good for generally any style of music, from Jazz to Blues to Rock to Metal.

They have a nice clarity, and a nice bite to them.
Quote by imgooley
P-90's (either soapbar, dogeared, bucker size, or strat size) are amazing pickups, and IMO, good for generally any style of music, from Jazz to Blues to Rock to Metal.

They have a nice clarity, and a nice bite to them.

+1. To those who doubt a P-90s ability for metal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvKjGnApeZE
Quote by chip46
My LP had P90's and they had a unique sound. Just like a '54 LP if you know what they are like. Very warm but with a clarity that goes beyond humbuckers. I have a DiMarzio P90/soapbar sized humbucker at the neck of my Yammy and it sounds nice and creamy, but not rich like in a mahogany body.
I think P90's are best in solid mahogany but I've never heard then in anything else.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

alright. well thanks guys. ill probably just ditch school on monday and go try them out. thanks for all the responses
Well, Jesus Christ, I'm not scared to die,

I'm a little bit scared of what comes after

Do I get the gold chariot?

Do I float through the ceiling?
Quote by Lurcher
My LP had P90's and they had a unique sound. Just like a '54 LP if you know what they are like. Very warm but with a clarity that goes beyond humbuckers. I have a DiMarzio P90/soapbar sized humbucker at the neck of my Yammy and it sounds nice and creamy, but not rich like in a mahogany body.
I think P90's are best in solid mahogany but I've never heard then in anything else.

This. They are "unique."

For people who want more output than singles but still retain the bite.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Mike Ness of Social Distortion uses a LP with P-90s, sounds sweet to me.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
That's a sweet PRS TS, I say definitely try one out.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I find P-90's sound different from amp to amp. But if you want generalizations, they fall somewhere between singles and humbuckers, as stated earlier.
I love P-90's for cleans, blues, and hard rock, but they can start to sound a bit "lacking" when the gain is piled on. Hope this helps.
Quote by malashea_GTRST
alright. well thanks guys. ill probably just ditch school on monday and go try them out. thanks for all the responses

Stay in school, kid.

EDIT:
Or do I divide and pull apart
Cause my bright is too slight to hold back all my dark
This ship went down in sight of land
And at the gates does Thomas ask to see my hands?

gee, spam is fun, eh?
I think PRS guitars are a love-hate thing. If I were you, I'd look at some other guitars with P-90s as well.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Feb 7, 2009,