The original goldtop used p-90s, which were a form of single coil pickup. Just listen to one of those.
Well, P-90 pickup is actually (as far as i know) a single coil pickup, so there you have it - bille joe armstrong of green day and his junior LP.
but if you put a strat pickup, then it must sound awful. but it's a good thought.
i'm guessing you mean fender-style singles? in that case, no.

if you just mean any old single coil, then p90s are the obvious one to look at. plenty of LPs and LP-alikes available with p90s. they kinda sound halfway between a humbucker and a fender-style single coil.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

if you just mean any old single coil, then p90s are the obvious one to look at. plenty of LPs and LP-alikes available with p90s. they kinda sound halfway between a humbucker and a fender-style single coil.

+1
Good P90s are phenomenal sounding pickups.

FWIW, the pickup in the Billie Joe Armstrong LP Junior is actually a stacked humbucker, not a single coil P90.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For some reason I was always a fan of those Gibson Les Paul Jr.'s. I dunno, something about it being stripped down right to the bare bones.
Quote by Dave_Mc

Yes, that's what I meant. I should have been more specific, but I didn't know about P-90s.

Anyway, strange that noone has had the curiosity to try...
Quote by Mad Marius
Yes, that's what I meant. I should have been more specific, but I didn't know about P-90s.

Anyway, strange that noone has had the curiosity to try...

i think edwards and esp might make a couple, but they're probably only for the japanese market so are hard to come by outside of there...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i think edwards and esp might make a couple, but they're probably only for the japanese market so are hard to come by outside of there...

Ya theres an ESP Japan signature guitar that has single coils and a floyd in a LP style body
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12
Warmoth Strat
Richmond Dorchester
Boss RC-50
Line 6 DL-4
Digitech Whammy 4
Zvex Mastotron
Boss RT-20
yeah, that's the one i was thinking of, i think
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Gibson Melody Maker is pretty much a Les Paul Junior with a single coil instead. Also, they have some with P-90s, which are singles.
UG's AC/DC Lover
Quote by Nolly
FWIW, the pickup in the Billie Joe Armstrong LP Junior is actually a stacked humbucker, not a single coil P90.
Not quite. Yes, it is a stacked P-90, but that doesn't make it a humbucker, nor does it sound like a humbucker. billie Joe himself has admitted actually it's not much different from a regular P-90, it just has slightly less background noise when you've got the gain cranked and it has a tiny bit more bass balance.

I've given it a go msyelf and to me it sounde dlike a firebird's minibucker or one of the 'singlecoil sized humbuckers'. Certainly closer to a regular P-90 than a humbucker.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The Gibson Melody Maker-$450, and the Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop '56 (discontinued, tends to run from $400-$700, both use single coils.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."