well I went to my local music store and I tired out a few amps

I have discovered that :
marshals don't sound as good as people say they do

mesa boogie roadstar ... biggest disappointment of life , I had my heart set out for this amp , then I played it ... I even had the 3 grand ready for it. It sounds like ****, If it had one channel I would expect it to be sold at wal-mart for $50-$200(seriously , not over exaggerated )

then I played the spider , don't remember which one but it was solid state ,and it sounded awesome the cleans where clean and the distortions covered every band , I feel in love with the soil work sound (pre installed on the amp)

so after some thought I came to the conclusion that tubes suck , I played a few extra tube amps from marshal , mesa boogie , line 6 ,fender and so on and I really didn't like the sound.

my 3 watt mini cube sounded better then all the amps in that store , I will take any body on , sure it might not be as loud but it'll be much more static free and better sounding.

so after some thought , unless some one can my mind . I want to buy a solid state amp , I'm probably going to go for the big brother of my current amp ...
the cube 80 X , can any one else recommend some other solid state amps , I play metal so I need awesome distortion and clean sounds .

my budget is 1200 Dollars , but after my experience with amps , price does not equal quality , ha the cube 80 x costs 500-ish
what volume did you try them at?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I didn't really like the Roadster I tried either. Rectos in general are a turn-off of mine.

If you want a high quality SS amp, look into the Hughes and Kettner Zentera, even though it's way out of your budget.

Otherwise, check out digital modeling amps like the Line 6 Vetta II, Flextone or HD147.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
you dont have a good ear yet, thats what I think, because most people I know like the sound of professional artists, and about 90% of good bands use tube amps.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Last edited by fifer at Feb 7, 2009,
I was playing them all on around 2-6 ( started a 1-2 when i entered the store , once I felt comfortable I cracked it up ) , I played the mesa boogie in there booth thing and played that at around 5-10 , 10 was killing my ears , not only was the sound quality bad but ya 100 watts of 2 x 12 speakers in the face

the solid states have that compression thing meaning it sounds as just as good at 1-3 as it does at 8-10

also to the professional thing : all music is digital , tubes (for the sake of argument) would only sound better in real life but as experience proves to me , that is not the case

on a cube , you can put the volume to max , and when you mute your strings , there will be no static at all , on a tube , you get static at all times , unless you turn off distortion
the solid states have that compression thing meaning it sounds as just as good at 1-3 as it does at 8-10
(But not as good as a tube would at 8-10)

also to the professional thing : all music is digital , tubes (for the sake of argument) would only sound better in real life but as experience proves to me , that is not the case
(What if the music is recorded onto tape then printed onto vinyl, much like many of my older records? Then it would be analogue)
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by Matt0690
I was playing them all on around 2-6 ( started a 1-2 when i entered the store , once I felt comfortable I cracked it up ) , I played the mesa boogie in there booth thing and played that at around 5-10 , 10 was killing my ears , not only was the sound quality bad but ya 100 watts of 2 x 12 speakers in the face

on a cube , you can put the volume to max , and when you mute your strings , there will be no static at all , on a tube , you get static at all times , unless you turn off distortion

dude, you did not have that amp at 10. even 5 would be too much.

no, actually the better musicians just mic amps instead of using digital media. and thats the whole point to, if it sounds better live, then its going to sound better to you when you are playing it because you are playing it live.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
if you prefer SS, that's fair enough.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There is no way in hell any music store would let you crank a 100 watt tube amp to 10.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
i've cranked a 30 watter before... i probably could have cranked a 100 watter too, only my ears couldn't take it. some stores have soundproof try-out rooms.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
He prefers SS amps, let him be.

Now, I'm pretty sure you're set with your cube 80.

I mean, there aren't many other SS amps that are better than the cube for 1200$.
just cause your not into mesa recto/roadster gear doesnt mean you hate tube amps
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Matt, most amps sound like garbage in guitar stores.

You have to trust your ears and buy the right one. I was in the same situation as you; every amp that I tried sounded terrible, even a cube 30x, which I have at home. That's when I realized that all amps in guitar stores sound bad.

Now, if you still want an SS amp, you could probably go for a used Line 6 vetta.

But you should try more amps before making this decision, because you shouldn't need 2 ss modeling amps, especially when you have one of the best ones.
ima go ahead and say you are probably bad at eq (no offense but most people are) and im going to suggest traynor or orange to you if you want to try a good tube amp with minimal buzzing. I dont like modeling amps i had one for 3 years and felt trapped in terms of tonality and fx... also be careful where you shop in store salespersons tend to try and get you to buy what no1 else is buying... so they may recomend absolute crap to you

peace :]
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
squire strat- currently in process of getting custom finish!

gassing for warmoth build
cube 80????????
troll...............
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Matt0690

Just because the music is distributed as digital media doesn't mean that a tube amp would only sound better than a digital/SS amp live. Most music would be recorded with a mic'd amp, so what you hear on the song is more or less the same as what comes out of the amp. Its recorded digitally, but its not digital.
also, dont tell us your settings on the amp were gain 10, bass 0, mid 0, treble 10.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.