Page 1 of 3
And amazingly it contained a crate powerblock! Just what I needed for my reamping rig!

Sorry, no camera so no pictures, but I deliver clips!! Excuse the mistakes, I didn't bother with much editing. It's the first four in my profile, they all have the word reamp in the title.

I gotta tell you, this reamping works great. You can go uber quiet and get no tone loss, and having the EQ on the Crate after the mass I can adjust it for whatever volume I'm playing at (and it's much more responsive than the one on the BJr). Overall, I couldn't be happier and will definitely be suggesting a reamping rig to anyone considering an attenuator from now on.

Set up:

Jimmie Vaughan Strat -> Fulldrive 2 (used for dirty tones) -> Blues Jr (circuit modded) -> Weber mass (used as load box) -> Crate powerblock -> Fender design speaker in Blues jr
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Feb 7, 2009,
epic win

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

k koo!

Edit...

Fender American Deluxe Strat > Ibanez WH-10 >
Ibanez TS-9 > Fulltone OCD V.4> MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy > Fender hot rod deluxe

Epic win!!!
Really like the lead tone demo sound.....
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by timzee117
epic win

I used to have a setup almost exactly like yours. Only difference was I have a jimmie vaughan strat and I don't have an OCD.

Quote by occub
Really like the lead tone demo sound.....

Thanks!
Quote by Ippon
Nice! BTW, change your status to ".011s = Good" Frampton FTW!!!

sweet that sounds pretty good

reamping?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
sweet

reamping?

Running one amp into another amp. I run my Blues jr into a load box with a line out (my weber minimass). Then you run that to a power amp (or into the fx in of a standard amp) and then to the speaker. You can get down to whisper volumes without the tone sucking associated with master volumes, volume boxes, and attenuators.
That is an attenuator I believe?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
sweet, like the lead sound Kev,
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by lespaul#1
That is an attenuator I believe?

No, crate powerblock is a power amp, designed to take a line level signal and amplify it.

I am using an attenuator, but not as an attenuator (if that makes sense), but as a load box.

Brett: Thanks All the clips turned out better than I hoped.

I should also note, I'm using a guitar hero mic, it's leagues better than the one I was using before. I taped it to a guitar stand Can ya say ghetto?
Oh, I must've been thinking of something else.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by Kevin Saale
Running one amp into another amp. I run my Blues jr into a load box with a line out (my weber minimass). Then you run that to a power amp (or into the fx in of a standard amp) and then to the speaker. You can get down to whisper volumes without the tone sucking associated with master volumes, volume boxes, and attenuators.

oh ok, thanks.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Listenin' now, sounds like a HRD! but a bit thinner mind, widdly. What did you use to record? It's reasonably authentic sounding. Nice tone but needs more BALLZ!
Guitar hero mic into audacity. I should've added more mids.
Quote by Kevin Saale

Yeah I can tell behind the mic and recording it sounds good.
Quote by Kevin Saale

is the guitar hero mic USB? i should ask my friend if i can borrow his
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Yup, rock band mics are usb as well.

It worked decent, my only gripe was the over emphasis on the bass. I had to roll the bass so far down on the amp that it sounded weak and thin in person, but on the recording it was fine. I tried turning it up some but it got boomy.
Excellent news. I hope I can find enough money to spare, and a used Powerblock, to try this out on my own sometime relatively soon.

What wattage MiniMASS are you using? I'm not sure if the 25 watt version will work for me since I have a 15 watt amp, but I don't ever plan on diming the gain and volume, so I get the feeling it could be just fine.
haha, ghetto recording set up.

i'm much more professional, i use the built in mic on my creative zen vision m mp3 player
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
How does it compare to just using a the amp attenuated normally? I use an attenuator with my Tranor YCV20 but I can't attenuate too much or I lose too much of the highs. I tried an EQ pedal after the guitar and also in the effects loops to recover the highs but then it starts to sound harsh probably due to the powertubes being hit with too much highs.
i am so totally confused to exactly how this is working but it sounds awesome! lol
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by mikewaz
Excellent news. I hope I can find enough money to spare, and a used Powerblock, to try this out on my own sometime relatively soon.

What wattage MiniMASS are you using? I'm not sure if the 25 watt version will work for me since I have a 15 watt amp, but I don't ever plan on diming the gain and volume, so I get the feeling it could be just fine.

A 25 should work. Even if your amp maxed at 150% rated power it would still only be 22.5 watts. For the record, I'm using a 50 watt mass, I got it when I had an HRD.

Stujomo: Worlds better, you don't that cut off on the highs nearly as bad. At very quiet volumes you get some, but I just use the EQ on the power block and turn the treble up a tad, works worlds better than the treble comp on the miniMASS.

I can get down to average TV volumes and retain (just guessing) about 90% tone. Whatever is lost is from the lack of volume or not pushing the speaker enough I'd guess.

Overall, I think a building a load box (shouldn't be too hard) and getting something like a power block is probably a better option than an attenuator. Sorry ted, your attenuators work good, but they're definitely suited more towards getting marshalls to manageable stage volumes than for bedroom guitar heros like myself.

Bored_Maniac: I run the amp to a load box, which basically converts it to a line level signal, which is then reamplified by the Crate Powerblock (which is a compact power amplifier)
It is, I'm very happy with my set up.
Kevin, are you just using the Powerblock to boost the volume of your Blues Jr? Cause I gotta tell you, I'm a bit confused what exactly you're doing here.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Kevin, are you just using the Powerblock to boost the volume of your Blues Jr? Cause I gotta tell you, I'm a bit confused what exactly you're doing here.

No, I'm using it to lower the volume without tone lose. BJr to mass to line out mass to power block to speaker thats what I'm doing.
Right. That makes more sense.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
This is interesting.
Does it work well if you put effects between the attenuator and the powerblock?
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Nice grab man. There were two powerblocks on my local craigslist for 100 each. I just didnt have teh monies...had to pay for a ski trip instead. But now that I got some left over cash, I'm gonna be shoping for ANYTHING....the gas is unbearable.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by FischmungaXTR
This is interesting.
Does it work well if you put effects between the attenuator and the powerblock?

i wouldnt think thats a very good idea, first of all because you could damage the input of the pedals...
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
^ Why's that? if its line level (1 volt) it shoud be fine. I don't know how it would sound though.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
i wouldnt think thats a very good idea, first of all because you could damage the input of the pedals...

Actually, it's perfectly alright to do. I'm pretty sure EVH did this back in the day. Either way, my non FX loop BJr now has an FX loop.

Quote by aznrockerdude
Wait, is this really reamping? I don't see similarities between what you did and this: http://www.musictoyz.com/articles/gearreamp.php

That's reamping for the purpose of getting different sounds from the same recording, I'm doing it for the purpose of keeping my tone the same at all volumes.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Actually, it's perfectly alright to do. I'm pretty sure EVH did this back in the day. Either way, my non FX loop BJr now has an FX loop.

That's reamping for the purpose of getting different sounds from the same recording, I'm doing it for the purpose of keeping my tone the same at all volumes.

Where'd you figure out to do that? sounds pretty damn good!
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Randy (riffhog) told me about it. I realized that my MASS could be a load box and all I'd need was a cheap power amp, so I went on the hunt and found the power block (which randy also suggested)
Quote by Kevin Saale
Randy (riffhog) told me about it. I realized that my MASS could be a load box and all I'd need was a cheap power amp, so I went on the hunt and found the power block (which randy also suggested)

of course it was riffhog

It's quite an interesting way to get that cranked tone at quiet volumes
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Page 1 of 3