Hello good people of UG forums again lol
I feel stupid asking this but,

As you already know, I've been trying to make metalcore music.
But I was just wondering, how to write a good mosh song?
I suck at comming up good stuff on my own and I would really love and appreciate if someone walked me through or help me write some.
I would love you forever :P
Thanks ;D

I will give you credit, or whatever reasonable you want
thanks again

(Im in drop b by the way
trying to get riffs like BMTH, Underoath, and Atreyu
with good melodic riffs etc)

Love you guys :}
Last edited by Suicidal Intent at Feb 7, 2009,
yes either one
like atreyu, underoath and bring me the horizon (Pray For Plagues Album)
Last edited by Suicidal Intent at Feb 7, 2009,
drop b sux go drop d or d standard it sounds better
try to make some good chugging chord progressions n c wat u get
Concerts I've Been To:
Aerosmith x2
A Life Once Lost
Motley Crue
Pearl Jam
My Morning Jacket
Buckcherry
Velvet Revolver x3
Godsmack
Alice In Chains
Stone Temple Pilots
Iron Maiden
Red hot Chili Peppers
Lamb of God
Killswitch Engage
Quote by Carrothead 73
drop b sux go drop d or d standard it sounds better
try to make some good chugging chord progressions n c wat u get

TS, Refrain from listening to this guy.

His lack of grammar alone makes him a ****ing moron.

On your problem, picking technique is a biggy really, learn some of Bring me the Horizon's songs, which is no easy feat in itself really, because they venture outside of just pure chugging at times, and a good sense of time is key.

Drop B sounds more for Deathcore IMO, look up a band called All Shall Perish, and another called Suicide Silence, they have the mosh riffs youre looking for. I believe I have a riff on my profile youre actualy more than welcome to take, and another in my skills section you can have as well. Just give me credit if you choose to use them, and figure out how to adapt them for your tuning.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

TS, Refrain from listening to this guy.

His lack of grammar alone makes him a ****ing moron.

On your problem, picking technique is a biggy really, learn some of Bring me the Horizon's songs, which is no easy feat in itself really, because they venture outside of just pure chugging at times, and a good sense of time is key.

Drop B sounds more for Deathcore IMO, look up a band called All Shall Perish, and another called Suicide Silence, they have the mosh riffs youre looking for. I believe I have a riff on my profile youre actualy more than welcome to take, and another in my skills section you can have as well. Just give me credit if you choose to use them, and figure out how to adapt them for your tuning.

Dude, I love you lol
and yes I will give you credit
I forgot to add Suicide Silence
They are orgasmic ;D
Thanks again and I will check them out now
Quote by Suicidal Intent
Dude, I love you lol
and yes I will give you credit
I forgot to add Suicide Silence
They are orgasmic ;D
Thanks again and I will check them out now

BTW, the riff is Metal Stuff, just so you know.

Anytime.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Just a side note, if youre looking to play for the nutty kids, might even consider drop a. Sounds pretty cool and can do melodies well...a lot of moshcore bands (Wish for Wings, Bury Your Dead) use this tuning as it kinda can't help but be heavy. Ultimately though, its not about your tuning. Its about the feel of the riffs more than the notes the riffs contain. I'm not a big fan of metalcore, but its fairly formulaic so advice here is easy.

Getting people to throw down is as easy as slapping together some syncopated, palm muted opens and a tempo slow down, with or without a dischordant melody slapped into or over the top. A harmonious or even clean, echo-y riff can be used over the top, as the contrast can actually accentuate the opens and make it feel more 'brutal'. (See Eternal Lord for 1000000 examples here).

Two step rythms are easier than you can imagine. The elements are; boppy, melody, kick snare kick kick snare drum pattern. Putting it together is up to you (I'm not writing your music for you lol) but if you need a rough illustration, look to Shark Punch's song Livin La Vida sXe...the intro shows what a two step should feel like.

Circle pit riffs just need to be fast, trem picked monsters, backed up by double kick galore. You wont find these bits in most true mosh heavy songs, you want people saving their energy for throwing down, but it can be good to go from circle riff> breakdown, as people just go nuts if youve amped em up beforehand

Lastly, theres the infamous floorclearer (or side to side) which can lead to a wall of death. Good luck with this one. If you're big enough to get people to put themselves through a wall of death it really doesnt matter what youre playing. You could prolly get people to WoD to Beethovens 5th.

Some bands to look to for mosh-ability inspiration in addition to the ones mentioned (now there are a few aussie bands here, but these guys can get even a fairly small crowd going nuts):
The Warriors
Her Nightmare
Carpathian
The Dead Walk
The Bullet Never Lies
Emmure

It all depends on your style, but IMO the best example of integrated mosh songs in an album (ie. one that doesnt feel out of place on the album) has to be Killing With A Smile by Parkway Drive. Check out the whole album, but pay special attention to Guns For Show Knives for Pro, Mutiny and Smoke Em If You Got Em. All are crowd pleasers, all sound good on the album. They do essentially the same thing, just in slightly different ways. Anyways, I've rambled enough. Hope that helps.
Alot of pedal tone riffs work well, usually with the lowest open string as the pedal tone, which means that tone is played every other note or so, a good example of this is the mosh riff in Anthrax - Among The Living, the one right before the first verse. Also, study the songs and riffs from a few Anthrax songs, mainly ones like Caught In a Mosh, Among The Living and I'm The Law, they have alot of mosh riffs.