Ok i have a bunch of questions about tone.

1) My tone is really harsh. I am using a spider but even on other amps ive played through i still get this really harsh sound on solos. I like some bite in my tone but not this much. ive tried rolling off the treble but that does nothing. could it be my pickups being too close to my high e string cuz i can feel that the string is set kinda low.

2) I like the active pickup thing but i think that for leads and solos it doesnt have the body that i like. I was thinking dimarzios but im not sure which one. I want an Arch Enemy rythem tone and kinda a smooth lead tone like jeff loomis or also like Arch Enemy but it still has some bite to it. I have an esp ltd ec-1000 in gloss black with all black hardware, i was thinking neon green dimarzios would look pretty sweet in it. But i dont know which models.

3) Like i said my high e has an action set lower than all my other strings and when i play i get this really high noise from the pick going plucking the string. Its evident on the other strings but really evident on this string and when picking fast. Ive tried using different angles, different picks still same thing. what can i do to get rid of that sound. Im using the black Jazz 3 XL picks. i really like these picks and my string guage is 54-11 in drop c.

Thanks, any help with any of these topics would be greatly appreciated
Gear:
ESP LTD EC 1000 Black
Squier Satin Strat H-S-S
ENGL Fireball 60w Head
Orange 1x12 Cab with Vintage 30's.
Monster Cables
Dunlop Ultex Jazz 3s XL
Ernie Ball 54-11

You need a new amp.

You really do. Then you can think about pickups. With the Spyder, it's not gonna do much.

What other amps did you try?
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
You need a new amp.

You really do. Then you can think about pickups. With the Spyder, it's not gonna do much.

What other amps did you try?

This.

Active pickups don't go well with MOST solid state amps (one being the spider).

New amp is a must.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
i tried the 5150 2X12 combo got the same kinda thing. i mean i loved the tone and fiddled with every setting possible. I think this thread is more towards the pickups because i think active pickups you lose some characteristic of your playing and some of the dynamics. Because the 6505+ 1X12 is coming out in april im going to pick that up to replace the spider.
which pickups would suit what im looking for? I mean i love the emg rhythm tone but the lead tones have way too much bite. I want a smoother, more open sound.
Gear:
ESP LTD EC 1000 Black
Squier Satin Strat H-S-S
ENGL Fireball 60w Head
Monster Cables
Dunlop Ultex Jazz 3s XL
Ernie Ball 54-11

dimarzio Super 3 or X2N

the former i have the single sized version in my strat and it sounds sick, not too trebelly, perfect for pushing through high gain distortion

the latter is an insane pup with a pretty evenly balanced sound good for shaping with tone controls
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
i dont use my tone control too much and i also want a nice pickup i can clean up with my volume knob though. i use that a lot. i found an example of a smooth solo sound. kind of like opeth's tone. where its a nice full sound and still is really clear. But ya i want something that i can turn my volume down a bit and get a nice crunchy sound for maybe some bluesy stuff and then down a lot like a kinda buckethead clean thing. because instead of channel switching and pickup switching. i want to keep my neck at low volumes for cleans and my bridge at full volume for crunch when i want my metal sound. also my problem is with the emg 60. its too buttery for me. i mean its really punchy when youre playing fast but i think it has too much butter in it and i would like something with a little more mids.
Gear:
ESP LTD EC 1000 Black
Squier Satin Strat H-S-S
ENGL Fireball 60w Head
Monster Cables
Dunlop Ultex Jazz 3s XL
Ernie Ball 54-11

Quote by Spider22
i dont use my tone control too much and i also want a nice pickup i can clean up with my volume knob though. i use that a lot. i found an example of a smooth solo sound. kind of like opeth's tone. where its a nice full sound and still is really clear. But ya i want something that i can turn my volume down a bit and get a nice crunchy sound for maybe some bluesy stuff and then down a lot like a kinda buckethead clean thing. because instead of channel switching and pickup switching. i want to keep my neck at low volumes for cleans and my bridge at full volume for crunch when i want my metal sound. also my problem is with the emg 60. its too buttery for me. i mean its really punchy when youre playing fast but i think it has too much butter in it and i would like something with a little more mids.

I recommend you switch over to margarine. I couldn't believe it WASN'T butter.

But for real, I have an idea.

www.dimarzio.com

K, so go there and in the bottom right corner there should be like a choose your own pickup option. Click that and fill out the info and see what DiMarzio has to offer. That's how I chose my pickups (aside from help from a few very special UGers). I'm putting them in next week, as far as I know.
i did that. but i wanted to see the opinions of actual people instead of a computer. but thanks anyways.
Gear:
ESP LTD EC 1000 Black
Squier Satin Strat H-S-S
ENGL Fireball 60w Head
Monster Cables
Dunlop Ultex Jazz 3s XL
Ernie Ball 54-11

Well, what did DiMarzio come up with? Tell meeee...

Here, I'll recommend you someone to talk to. Be back in a moment.

EDIT: If you are considering DiMarzio, and I think you should...

Talk to this man - he knows his stuff about quite a number of models of DiMarzio pick ups and I think he has some knowledge on Seymour Duncans.

JLT73

See what he has to say. Drop him a comment or private message.
Last edited by XxGibsonSGxX at Feb 7, 2009,
I'll recommend an air norton for the neck
but instead of buying a set of dimarzos or SDs
find the specs of the pick ups you like and bid on this

http://myworld.ebay.com/jsmoore64/

JS Moore is awesome have him wind you a set of customs
They go for 100-150
The Dark Side of the Slaughter Zone
Quote by Spider22
i dont use my tone control too much

Start. It's a useful tool that too often goes unutilized.
Quote by Flying Couch
Start. It's a useful tool that too often goes unutilized.

Yeah man, you know where it's at. I usually keep my tone knobs rolled all the way back... I dunno, I just sort of like it...
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Yeah man, you know where it's at. I usually keep my tone knobs rolled all the way back... I dunno, I just sort of like it...

All the way back is for when I want Clapton's woman tone... for other applications, I find it too woolly. I usually keep 'em from 4-7.
thanks. I sent him a message and explained my situation. I dont use my tone knob because i do play mostly metal so i have it cranked up for the most part. But i do use it on cleans and kinda ambient leads. But i dont really need those soft tones cept with opeth.
Gear:
ESP LTD EC 1000 Black
Squier Satin Strat H-S-S
ENGL Fireball 60w Head
Monster Cables
Dunlop Ultex Jazz 3s XL
Ernie Ball 54-11

Dude i have the same guitar (mines Flamed blue though) and i thought the tone was too harsh too. Those emg's are pretty brutal. But actually I'm switching to dimarzios too I'm going with an Evolution in the neck and a D - Sonic (blade to the neck) in the bridge. I should have the guitar back tomorrow, PM me sometime and i'll tell you how they sound
Gear:
Fender Blues delux reissue
Boss GT-10
Schecter C1 Hellraiser!
ESP LTD EC-1000!
Really? Ya for sure. I mean i love the rythem sound. My dream rythem sound is like chimaira. i mean they do kinda over do the compression but still ****ing love it. but i think as for leads, theyre too brutal lol. Im also thinking of a new guitar so i can keep the actives just to have a guitar with actives then put dimarzios in the new guitar. ive been looking everywhere used for a gibson x-factor flying v. i think that would look sick with the green pickups.
Gear:
ESP LTD EC 1000 Black
Squier Satin Strat H-S-S
ENGL Fireball 60w Head
Monster Cables
Dunlop Ultex Jazz 3s XL
Ernie Ball 54-11

grr didn't get it today, the guy forgot if I wanted the blade on the D-sonic towards the neck or bridge so he didn't do >.< should have it tomorrow
I my hellraiser's EMG arn't so bad but the flyod Rose is a pain in the ass, so i got the EC-1000 to have a similar guitar without the trem, i didn't think the pick-ups would be so strong
I'm getting my d-sonic in all white and the Evo in Black and White, should look good, Blue guitar, white binding, black hardware
+1 for x factor w/green pups
Gear:
Boss GT-10
Schecter C1 Hellraiser!
ESP LTD EC-1000!
Also you might just want to get your guitar all nice and set it up. Adjusting pickup heights, action, strings, making sure the connection is secure and what not. It is alot cheaper and it can actually help, believe it or not. But then buy a new amp, then pickups if you still aren't happy.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
well i got it back today
i love it to ****in death, everything is so much clearer. The guitars character is much more apparent now. Its quieter too, and it still has great punch from the high gain channels. The cleans from both of them are really nice too, clear and full of tone (i also play from a tube amp mind you)
Gear:
Boss GT-10
Schecter C1 Hellraiser!
ESP LTD EC-1000!