I recently bought a used tube amp, Which I thought would sound better but it didn't. I checked the back and the tubes are glowing red. They should be blue from what I have read right? Do they need to be replaced?
my gear:
Epiphone LP standard
roland microcube
The healthy glow of most tubes is a orange color. What kind of amp is it?
70's Japan Greco SuperPower
Amps: '65 TRRI - Peavey Classic 50 4x10 - Epiphone VJ Head (Modded) - 2x12 Celestion Greenback Cab
FX: BK Tube Driver - EH Small Stone - MXR CC
Acoustics: Breedlove ADSM20 - Alveraz 5021 12-String
mine glow orange as well.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
it is more of an orange color now that I think about it. It is a carvin X100B 80s model. I guess the thing I read that said they were supposed to be blue was wrong.
my gear:
Epiphone LP standard
roland microcube
It should sound pretty decent. I would definitely replace those tubes, also ReBias the amp, I'm sure neither of those have ever been done to it...It will help ALOT.
70's Japan Greco SuperPower
Amps: '65 TRRI - Peavey Classic 50 4x10 - Epiphone VJ Head (Modded) - 2x12 Celestion Greenback Cab
FX: BK Tube Driver - EH Small Stone - MXR CC
Acoustics: Breedlove ADSM20 - Alveraz 5021 12-String
Some tubes have a blue'ish color when on..... but bright red could be a problem.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
lol colour blind or something?.. i have tubes in preamp section and they're orange.
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
yes oarnge is normal. if i saw a blue hot tube my first reaction would be to run away in terror. and "better" is subjective so it might be ok and you just dont like the amp. tubes usually go bad after a year of regular use or 5 or 6 months of being pushed into the sweet spot of the volume at gig volume levels often. if it sounds off or fades in and out or acts eratically i would replace the tubes first. and when you do, do some research first because even the same type of tube (like 12ax7 or 6L6 or whatever) will sound different brand to brand and amp to amp.
Mine are orange, but when turned on from standby, there is a quick bluish glow.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by HellBent1337
It should sound pretty decent. I would definitely replace those tubes, also ReBias the amp, I'm sure neither of those have ever been done to it...It will help ALOT.

I doubt it as well. The previous owner seems to have been pretty rough on it. I'll see what an amp tech recommends, I have to take it to one anyway to fix a broken control knob.
my gear:
Epiphone LP standard
roland microcube
Do they look like this:

that's normal, but if those gray plates in there are glowing red you have a problem, your bias is too hot. If your tubes are red plating, turn it off and rebias the amp or get someone to do it for you.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not